Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Heads-up: According to word just posted to Reddit, you can do one of the four scheduled tests (tonight, April 9, April 10, April 11).

Tonight's test is just for a West Palm Beach audition site.

Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

I kind of wanted to recreate Homer Simpson’s college application photo to submit, but I just used a picture from after the last half marathon I ran, and hope the powers that be are impressed by medals.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

For general release: Never mind!

Director's cut: I started to write up a question that I had announced my intent to ask in the March 27 test thread, but I figured out the answer before I was ready to post, but so as not to leave anyone hanging and also to answer, I hope correctly, anyone who may yet have the same question, I'll paste the almost-posted question below in italics before returning to regular font

This may appear and may even be a dumb question, but I have found that, paradoxically, the dumber a question one has, the more important it is to that one that he ask it, so....

Visiting the site trying to sign up for one of the April nights, I see the question "Have you been on Jeopardy!?" to which I would like to answer "no". Against a grey background I see a white horizontalish oval with the word "no" on the right, and a grey circle to the left. Whether I click on the grey circle or on the word "no", the effect is the same; namely that the oval turns green and the word "yes" appears.

Ok, so I had typed all that, and then I went and clicked on the box just below "have you ever been", which asks if I'm in college. When I click that, not only do green and "yes" appear, but a new box opens asking which college it is I attend. I conclude from this that "no" is the default answer to both questions, so if those happen to be your answers, then simply leave them alone and click "submit" as I am about to do now, and I guess I'll see what happens next.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Trying out for Denver once again 8-)
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Is there a certain size of photo we have to use? Does it go by kilobytes, pixels or inches? Thanks!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

rouquinne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 pm Is there a certain size of photo we have to use? Does it go by kilobytes, pixels or inches? Thanks!
FWIW, I uploaded a 148 Kb (1280 x 960) which I intended to crop because it had me and my nephew and a lot of extra space. It never gave me that option, and has the whole image. It also didn't complain about the extra person, so anyone taking it for fun like me might as well upload their cat's photo.

My assumption is that whatever you send will get resized by them.

Good luck
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

It has to be a .jpg, IIRC
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

Thanks all! Now... if only I could reset my password so I can register... :cry:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Has anyone gotten a follow-up email about the tests yet? My wife registered last month but haven't seen anything since the email stating that she was registered.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:04 am Has anyone gotten a follow-up email about the tests yet? My wife registered last month but haven't seen anything since the email stating that she was registered.
Check the spam box.

I immediately received a thank you for registering email
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:04 am Has anyone gotten a follow-up email about the tests yet? My wife registered last month but haven't seen anything since the email stating that she was registered.
Check the spam box.

Got that, but it says in that email to expect a reminder email closer to the test dates. I guess it doesn't really matter if she's registered.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:32 am
Check the spam box.

Got that, but it says in that email to expect a reminder email closer to the test dates. I guess it doesn't really matter if she's registered.
I seem to remember this situation in the past, with the "reminder" being on the day of or day before the test.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:32 am
Check the spam box.

I seem to remember this situation in the past, with the "reminder" being on the day of or day before the test.
I remember never getting the promised reminder at least once. Didn't make any difference in signing in for the test.
immaf

Post by immaf »

A word of advice to those taking the test tonight. When it starts, click in the answer box to position your cursor before you type your first answer. (I lost a couple of seconds because I didn't.) After that, you shouldn't need to -- just type and your answer should show up in the box.
Teems with quiet fun.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

immaf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:59 pm A word of advice to those taking the test tonight. When it starts, click in the answer box to position your cursor before you type your first answer. (I lost a couple of seconds because I didn't.) After that, you shouldn't need to -- just type and your answer should show up in the box.
that all depends on browser, operating system, and computer. best thing is to try the practice test, and whatever works there will work in the real test.

last year, I had to use firefox because chrome would force me to click in the box each time; but this year, chrome worked fine...although I had no sound on the test
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
RJRouge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm I can only hope I do as well as I've done the past few years, but also get through the random selection afterward for the auditions. My luck, however, is abysmal.
I'm curious to compare. Between 2009 and 2017, inclusive, I passed a J! online contestant quiz seven times without getting an invitation to an audition.

I finally broke the string last year, when I passed again in the spring and made it to an audition in June.

How does your record compare with that?
Ten passing scores, zero auditions
I passed the online test 6 times, with two in-person auditions. I hope 0 for 10 is absolutely atypical bad luck. Selection is supposed to be random.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Jeffreygallup wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
RJRouge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm I can only hope I do as well as I've done the past few years, but also get through the random selection afterward for the auditions. My luck, however, is abysmal.
I'm curious to compare. Between 2009 and 2017, inclusive, I passed a J! online contestant quiz seven times without getting an invitation to an audition.

I finally broke the string last year, when I passed again in the spring and made it to an audition in June.

How does your record compare with that?
Ten passing scores, zero auditions
I passed the online test 6 times, with two in-person auditions. I hope 0 for 10 is absolutely atypical bad luck. Selection is supposed to be random.
What we know is that somewhere around 100,000 people take the online test. Of those, 2500 to 3000 will audition in any given year. The only unknown is the “passing rate” but if we posit that 10% of the test takers get a “passing” score then there’s a pool of 10,000 to choose from. Truly random selection would mean that you have a 25% chance per year of getting an audition, so an 0/10 streak would occur only 6% of the time and the mean time between audition invitations would be 3, FWIW
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 am

What we know is that somewhere around 100,000 people take the online test. Of those, 2500 to 3000 will audition in any given year. The only unknown is the “passing rate” but if we posit that 10% of the test takers get a “passing” score then there’s a pool of 10,000 to choose from. Truly random selection would mean that you have a 25% chance per year of getting an audition, so an 0/10 streak would occur only 6% of the time and the mean time between audition invitations would be 3, FWIW
I would agree with the 10% as I believe the Jeopardy test is harder to pass than other game shows; and for other shows, I've generally seen about a 15% passing rate. The only exception to the 15% passing rate would be WWTBAM when they give the test to the entire audience instead of only people in a room specifically to take a test.

I also know I couldn't win a random drawing if I was the only entrant.
Woof

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 pm

I would agree with the 10% as I believe the Jeopardy test is harder to pass than other game shows; and for other shows, I've generally seen about a 15% passing rate. The only exception to the 15% passing rate would be WWTBAM when they give the test to the entire audience instead of only people in a room specifically to take a test.

I should also have mentioned that I've been taking the tests since 2008. I got an audition in 2010, but since then bupkis, so I'm now 1/12. We know that there are elements of non-randomness (rescheduled auditions, etc.) but our experiences (and John Boy's) would suggest that there's more at work than sheer randomness.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 pm

I should also have mentioned that I've been taking the tests since 2008. I got an audition in 2010, but since then bupkis, so I'm now 1/12. We know that there are elements of non-randomness (rescheduled auditions, etc.) but our experiences (and John Boy's) would suggest that there's more at work than sheer randomness.
Why would there be more at work than sheer randomness? There is more than just the flat numbers to throw off expectations.

If a person only chooses New York every time for an audition city, their odds are more difficult to get an audition as there are more people from which to be randomly selected. If a person only chooses the south pole for an audition city..well the odds of being randomly selected for an audition would go way up because so few other people who also pass the test would be in the same drawing.

If we figure on 10,000 people passing the test, we should also figure on the northeast corridor being the most heavily represented in those 10,000 people. This is why I've chosen audition cities out of the way of that area, but places that aren't unreasonable for me to travel to. The strategy hasn't worked, but darn it, it should.

Remind me if I'm wrong about this, but until last year or the year before, they had no way of knowing who we were when we took the test as we only gave them an email address and a birthday (we didn't give them more information when we took the online test at that time, did we?)