Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Le Master wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am James likely would have had the second highest total after the Jeopardy Round had he not gone for the Dakar Rally (which started in 1977) instead of the Tour de France with probably $19,600 (had he gotten the DD and earned the additional $2,800 he actually ended the round with).
and a sports gambler missed another gimme sports question...paris to dakar would not have even been accepted...dakar rally is the name of the event that he was thinking of
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am The FJ! clue had me spend longer on working out my wording than the solve itself. After determining there was no good reason to use Mt. Suribachi in my response I went five words with FROIJ while Kevin had six with RTFAIJ and James was the most efficient with IJFR.
I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?" then scrunched the rest of the words on there. Far too easy for FJ.

I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

James graciously chalked up his win to "home field" advantage, even though he'd easily beat me in any form of trivia. I consider myself one of his first fans and hope he continues to dominate.

didn't even notice....so it couldn't have been that bad...now if you want to check out a rocker you should check out this twitch poker streamer when he is streaming...dude seems like he constantly has take a leak
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

grumble :x how did I miss this? Figured it had to be the end of fighting, so I answered V-E day.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 pm paris to dakar would not have even been accepted...
It was run for the first several years as the Paris-Dakar Rally, so it most likely would be acceptable.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Motley Fool, Frank & Ernest, and Sam & Dave. Just so you know, I'm 21 years old.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Pine, Stylus

Surprised James missed Tour de France, I knew it just from Maurice Garin.

James becomes the second highest regular play earner. Surprisingly, that wasn't even the biggest event that happened today. :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I consider myself one of his first fans
James became one of my idols back in 2014 when he was on The Chase. I have been hoping to see James on Jeopardy! for years. Jeopardy! isn't his first TV appearance you know. For those who saw him on The Chase and 500 Questions have probably all beaten you in becoming a fan of his. What you CAN consider yourself however is one of his first fans of his Jeopardy! performance. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Technically, this stamp wasn't issued by the USPS -- the Post Office didn't become the USPS until 1971.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

KevinBohannon wrote:I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play.
I gather Megan had not seen James play yet either? I was aggrevated that she made no attempt to keep at least one of the second round DDs away from him with her opening choice from the top row. You were going tit for tat with James' DD hunting though. It seemed you knew what the stakes were.
I have to wonder if Megan had taken a shot at uncovering a DD and got it on the first (DJ) call, if it would have changed the outcome. If she had been hunting like James does, (with a lucky bang-bang selection) it's possible she could have cleared both DDs before James had a chance...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:09 pm
KevinBohannon wrote:I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play.
I gather Megan had not seen James play yet either? I was aggrevated that she made no attempt to keep at least one of the second round DDs away from him with her opening choice from the top row. You were going tit for tat with James' DD hunting though. It seemed you knew what the stakes were.
I have to wonder if Megan had taken a shot at uncovering a DD and got it on the first (DJ) call, if it would have changed the outcome. If she had been hunting like James does, (with a lucky bang-bang selection) it's possible she could have cleared both DDs before James had a chance...
Most likely she did not, but when you hear “James Holzhauer, whose 7-day cash winnings total $415,035”, you have to know what you’re up against.

I had the same frustration as you. I think most players reflexively start at the top, out of comfort, politeness, habit, or fear. Notice Megan also said please after calling each clue. She clearly has respect for the game, but you’re throwing away the advantage of selecting first when you go to the top row.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

KevinBohannon wrote:I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?" then scrunched the rest of the words on there. Far too easy for FJ.
Took me about 5 seconds of processing to get it. I think it would have been a more worthy clue if they had ommitted the word "military".

I picked up the 'Stylus' lach trash.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Very nice try, Kevin, and let me add to the list of those who didn't notice the rocking.

Weird coincidence of the night: for some reason the phrase "the granddaddy of them all" came into my head during the first commercial break and then there was a clue about the Rose Bowl immediately after that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Kevin - welcome aboard!

This FJ was a multi-plex like last week's clue about a Hollywood group. I saw July and thought D-Day and then processed 1945 and switched to V-E Day, although I couldn't figure out which living person might be the chosen image. Maybe the famous sailor #metoo offense? This was a month before A-bombs dropping. TIL the Mt. Suribachi event happened in February 1945, so I don't know how so many boardies got there specifically since the July TOM is no help.

Wow, I don't audit my Lach Trash, but I did remember stylus, and understand why nobody should know that now.

James is an automaton - I thought this board was particularly difficult. I never heard of a lot of this material. I did keep repeat negging with Idatarod in the First Winner category. The DD question on Le Tour pretty much hinged on the winner's name. The elapsed time is fake news, since they ride for 20 days.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 pm
KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I consider myself one of his first fans
James became one of my idols back in 2014 when he was on The Chase. I have been hoping to see James on Jeopardy! for years. Jeopardy! isn't his first TV appearance you know. For those who saw him on The Chase and 500 Questions have probably all beaten you in becoming a fan of his. What you CAN consider yourself however is one of his first fans of his Jeopardy! performance. ;)
a game show contestant is an idol of yours?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:09 pm
i have become desensitized by it...is typical passive play that you on this show...again...these people know lots of stuff, but have 0 clue generally when it comes to strategy
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am Wow, I don't audit my Lach Trash, but I did remember stylus, and understand why nobody should know that now.
Just two days after Record Store Day? I realize vinyl is still a bit of a niche thing, but LPs sales have increased dramatically in the last few years:
https://www.statista.com/chart/7699/lp- ... ed-states/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenb ... e8a0421c9c
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

Thank you for all the support JBoard! Reddit is my normal forum (KevinBohannon isn't my "real" reddit name), but I'll chime in here if I have anything to say.

One final thought before bed: not seeing him play, I didn't know HOW James won that much cash. While wagering on FJ, I took an uncomfortably long time in a double-lock game to make my wager. Why? Because I thought, "Is he betting it all? Is he betting within one dollar of my score? He IS a gambler."

The I came to my senses, wrote $0 down (hey, if he bets it all....) and that was that.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
45 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: pine

Great "comeback" by James. I really wonder about the buzzer timing of the dominant champions. Does it just happen to be that certain people who are great at trivia also happen to have immaculate timing/rhythm, or does having an elite level of knowledge allow certain players to concentrate more on timing rather than having to worry about recall? By my count, James got in first on 36 of the 56 clues on which at least one player rang in. That's almost impossible to beat.

Today wasn't my day. I had big whiffs on both the Tour de France DD and FJ! I recognized that the Frennchman's name was important on the DD, but I just couldn't make the connection. On FJ!, I was thinking of events in 1944-45. As soon as the timpani sounded, I realized what the correct response must be.
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

James demonstrates why going big on a DD in the Jeopardy round is solid strategy for anyone. The benefit of getting it right outweighs the downside of getting it wrong. Yes, it is easier for James to do this because he knows he has a buzzer advantage - but I hope more people use this strategy in the future.

It just amazes me he has blown past Julia and David already. Those four-day bubble champs continue to hope that this run doesn’t end anytime soon...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am The FJ! clue had me spend longer on working out my wording than the solve itself. After determining there was no good reason to use Mt. Suribachi in my response I went five words with FROIJ while Kevin had six with RTFAIJ and James was the most efficient with IJFR.
I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?" then scrunched the rest of the words on there. Far too easy for FJ.

I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

James graciously chalked up his win to "home field" advantage, even though he'd easily beat me in any form of trivia. I consider myself one of his first fans and hope he continues to dominate.
Thanks for joining our little gang here. Hope you stick around. Tough luck to get your shot on The Game and run into, uh, THAT. Certainly nothing to hang your head over.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

KevinBohannon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 am Thank you for all the support JBoard! Reddit is my normal forum (KevinBohannon isn't my "real" reddit name), but I'll chime in here if I have anything to say.

One final thought before bed: not seeing him play, I didn't know HOW James won that much cash. While wagering on FJ, I took an uncomfortably long time in a double-lock game to make my wager. Why? Because I thought, "Is he betting it all? Is he betting within one dollar of my score? He IS a gambler."

The I came to my senses, wrote $0 down (hey, if he bets it all....) and that was that.
Yeah, he IS a gambler. And I don't think gamblers survive very long in that business when they needlessly put their winnings at risk (which is the definition of the Clavin wager). You were absolutely right to think he would bet a lot, but not enough to risk being caught.

And I also did not notice the rocking, so don't worry.

Another JH game for me with ZERO LT. This is ridiculous.

I had to wonder how it must have felt inside Megan's head to see James 1) immediately jump out to a big lead early in the first round, 2) see him drop to $0 on a missed DD, and then 3) blow right past her a second time before the end of the first round. I got a visual in my head of Wile E. Coyote, as he is THIS close to catching the roadrunner, when said roadrunner glances back, gives him a "meep meep," and rockets off into the distance, while Mr. Coyote stops and his jaw drops to the asphalt and his eyeballs drop out of his head onto the road. Yeah, there have been a lot of moments like that in the past 8 games.

#2 all time. Just wow. What will it take to stop him?