J! and other notable contestants on The Chase (possible J! spoilers)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

colonial
Contributor

Re: J! and other notable contestants on The Chase (possible J! spoilers)

Post by colonial »

hscer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 pm I guess this counts (maybe) - According to Wikipedia, Brad Rutter filmed a U.S. pilot as a Chaser, but the citation is an archive.org copy of a paywalled article. Fortunately a Twitter search reveals:

IIRC, Fox filmed two pilots for a U.S. version of "The Chase." (GSN would pick up the show soon after Fox passed on it) The episodes were filmed in the UK with Bradley Walsh hosting. Brad Rutter was the Chaser for one pilot while Mark Labbett served the role in the second pilot. There was a clip of the opening for the Labbett pilot on YT.

For Raj's "Chase" episode, Dave is Dave Bykowski, who won $50K on Harrison WWTBAM in 2016.
colonial
Contributor

Post by colonial »

Opening to the Labbett "Chase" pilot for Fox (2012)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Thanks. ^

I've started actively watching The Chase Aus and UK again. I find the Aus questions easier, and it seems more fast-paced, but I like Bradley's (UK host) humor and the banter there more. It's a great show, and it would be nice if it came back in the US, even as a daily show. Instead of just one Chaser, they should have 5 like the other versions do.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

colonial wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 am

I recognize Raj Dhuwalia, Ken Basin, and Jamie Rosler. Do not recognize the fourth guy. Let me know if he was in something else.
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 pm
colonial wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 am

I recognize Raj Dhuwalia, Ken Basin, and Jamie Rosler. Do not recognize the fourth guy. Let me know if he was in something else.
Searching for "us sumo champion dan" comes up with a man named Dan Kalbfleisch, who doesn't show up in the J-Archive.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

colonial wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:44 am
hscer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 pm I guess this counts (maybe) - According to Wikipedia, Brad Rutter filmed a U.S. pilot as a Chaser, but the citation is an archive.org copy of a paywalled article. Fortunately a Twitter search reveals:

IIRC, Fox filmed two pilots for a U.S. version of "The Chase." (GSN would pick up the show soon after Fox passed on it) The episodes were filmed in the UK with Bradley Walsh hosting. Brad Rutter was the Chaser for one pilot while Mark Labbett served the role in the second pilot. There was a clip of the opening for the Labbett pilot on YT.

For Raj's "Chase" episode, Dave is Dave Bykowski, who won $50K on Harrison WWTBAM in 2016.
The producers acted like Rutter didn't have enough persona/gravitas for the Chaser role.

Maybe, but his knowledge base - especially for what would be needed for an American quizzing show - was much broader than Labbett's.

With the seriously wonky prize scale, I feared the show wouldn't make it too long. A GSN show can't risk giving up $150,000, ever.

I think the show should have had a more restricted prize scale with more Chasers. If only because the network needs filler, it might have been on today still if it used that approach.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 am Thanks. ^

I've started actively watching The Chase Aus and UK again. I find the Aus questions easier, and it seems more fast-paced, but I like Bradley's (UK host) humor and the banter there more. It's a great show, and it would be nice if it came back in the US, even as a daily show. Instead of just one Chaser, they should have 5 like the other versions do.
yeah the australian version is way easier
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I think that article Andy G. posted (https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/art ... W-20190416) may have confirmed that I IDed Arianna correctly.
pacdude

Post by pacdude »

JayK33 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 amI didn't know who Cory was
Excuse me, I set the world record for most swearing on Complete the List.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This may be a bit off-topic but I am curious, has anyone on here ever met or interacted with any of the UK or Australian Chasers? And I mean besides appearing as a contestant on this version.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am This may be a bit off-topic but I am curious, has anyone on here ever met or interacted with any of the UK or Australian Chasers? And I mean besides appearing as a contestant on this version.
Anne Hegerty once proofread a one day tournament that I was going to write for 2020 quiz before it went down. She had thoughtful advice about how I could improve some questions. I've also played against Jenny Ryan in LearnedLeague a number of times.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm
JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am This may be a bit off-topic but I am curious, has anyone on here ever met or interacted with any of the UK or Australian Chasers? And I mean besides appearing as a contestant on this version.
Anne Hegerty once proofread a one day tournament that I was going to write for 2020 quiz before it went down. She had thoughtful advice about how I could improve some questions. I've also played against Jenny Ryan in LearnedLeague a number of times.
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Victoria Groce got a shoutout from The Governess on an episode I recently watched -- The fact that Governess is currently 3rd best female quizzer in the world came up, and she mentioned the two ahead of her by name.

Also, bump for more potential IDs.
earendel

Post by earendel »

GSN is going to show James's "The Chase" episode with commentary by Ken Jennings today (Monday) at 4PM Eastern time (YMMV).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

earendel wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am GSN is going to show James's "The Chase" episode with commentary by Ken Jennings today (Monday) at 4PM Eastern time (YMMV).
This was replayed yesterday but I forgot to record it, and I don't see any more airings scheduled on GSN. Is there a way to watch this that I'm not thinking of? Thanks.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 pm
earendel wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am GSN is going to show James's "The Chase" episode with commentary by Ken Jennings today (Monday) at 4PM Eastern time (YMMV).
This was replayed yesterday but I forgot to record it, and I don't see any more airings scheduled on GSN. Is there a way to watch this that I'm not thinking of? Thanks.
I might be able to rip it to my computer within the next couple days.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i recorded it...wasn't anything real special
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I was only interested in it for Ken's commentary. But there was barely any of it, and none of it was that interesting. And the actual Chase episode was hacked up into like ten minutes of footage. It was more like a highlights reel of the episode with a tiny bit of Ken added in. And the clip of the Best Ever Trivia Show they included removed what little confidence I had in that show being something to look forward to.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Le Master wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I was only interested in it for Ken's commentary. But there was barely any of it, and none of it was that interesting. And the actual Chase episode was hacked up into like ten minutes of footage. It was more like a highlights reel of the episode with a tiny bit of Ken added in. And the clip of the Best Ever Trivia Show they included removed what little confidence I had in that show being something to look forward to.
totally agree
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Add "Million Dollar Mind Game" next to Gordon Bellamy's name. 10/30/2011 He was the team captain of the Video Game Geeks.
Douglas Squasoni