New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

Worth noting in the Archive.

It would be funnier if they had a clue about the MGM lot from before they moved the show there.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I don't know if this episode has come up in this thread, but a fun fact about the deciding game of the 1990 college championship, the double jeopardy round board for that game is featured on the cover of "The Jeopardy! Book"
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm I don't know if this episode has come up in this thread, but a fun fact about the deciding game of the 1990 college championship, the double jeopardy round board for that game is featured on the cover of "The Jeopardy! Book"
That is a fun fact, and I don't think it's come up.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 pm
booboo9921 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm I don't know if this episode has come up in this thread, but a fun fact about the deciding game of the 1990 college championship, the double jeopardy round board for that game is featured on the cover of "The Jeopardy! Book"
That is a fun fact, and I don't think it's come up.
+1

I added a line in the Archive for it: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1689
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

For the record, the 1992 book The Jeopardy! Challenge has these categories used on its cover:

1) FAMOUS FIRSTS 2) FILMS OF THE '90s 3) HISTORY 4) COOKING 5) DESERTS 6) HOMOPHONES

The closest I could find to this is the first round of the May 15, 1991 (1991 College Semifinal #3) episode, but AMERICAN REVOLUTION is in the #3 spot instead.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

pannoni4 has posted the April 3 2002 episode (only the intro is in so far) at the Internet Archive:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

On a recent episode of the Doug Loves Movies podcast, actor Samm Levine mentioned that his father Harris Levine had been on Jeopardy! in the '90s. He lamented how difficult some Final Jeopardy clues could be back then, and I thought maybe he was mis-remembering the clue. I checked The Resource, and nope, it was pretty much as he remembered it.
1993-10-25 FAMOUS PAIRS

THEY WERE ELECTED THE FIRST PRESIDENT & SECRETARY OF AMERICAN EXPRESS
Spoiler
WHO ARE (HENRY) WELLS & (WILLIAM GEORGE) FARGO
Turns out he ended up losing to Rachel Schwartz. No shame in that.

The game isn't in the J-Archive. Maybe I'll hit Samm up on Twitter, see if I can sweet talk him into a recording. ;)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ That episode happened to air the same day of the Canadian federal election of 1993.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 2/22/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1438

The links should all work and a couple of them are the video variety.

Alex and the judges were too kind to accept RELAX $400 with just a number.

So predictable that CITY NICKNAMES $1200 would neg in a game with 12W.

For the FILM DIRECTORS, Ted Demme died 1/13/02 prior to this game's airing. Shelton & Roman are still alive though.

This game had another instance of the Hawthorne house title shortened and accepted without incident to go along with the one earlier this month.

Tana added a comment to her FJ! response. Word on the street is that a new rule is coming into effect soon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I uploaded one clip from the 2/22 game that makes me laugh, so I wanted to share:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That wouldn't be the last time someone made $4,000 responding "What is Hot Springs?" to a Daily Double.

Also, if Tana's name is going to be rendered as all lower-case letters because she wrote it that way, shouldn't Dan's be all-caps?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1735

April 3, 2002, Bill Alston vs. Wanda Berthelot vs. Brendan Roche.

I have my choice of computers at work tonight. One has streaming blocked, and the other has no speakers attached. I chose door number 2, and entered the game with the closed caption file. Remind me to go back later and enter the runner-up trips when I get a chance.

YOU JUST SAVED MY _____ in the J! round could have been called "SYNONYMS AND SOUND-ALIKES FOR BUTT". Oof.

Bill missed the Daily Double in NOT IN YOUR OLD DICTIONARY for $1000, an acronym that has become much more popular in the ensuing years, I think.
In Washington, if you know who POTUS is, you should surmise that FLOTUS is this person
Spoiler
What is First Lady?
I think the all-caps clues make that one just a little harder.

Clue of the game will be AUSTRALIAN HISTORY for $1600
Completed in 1973, this Sydney landmark was designed by Danish architect John Utzon
Spoiler
What is the Sydney Opera House?

The Sydney Opera House opened to the public on the day I was born, so I love the thing. If you ever need to remember the architect's name, just remember that the sails look like potato chips. It's got "Utz on" it!
Have a good Sunday everyone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36 pm I filled in 2/22/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1438

For the FILM DIRECTORS, Ted Demme died 1/13/02 prior to this game's airing. Shelton & Roman are still alive though.

This game had another instance of the Hawthorne house title shortened and accepted without incident to go along with the one earlier this month.

Tana added a comment to her FJ! response. Word on the street is that a new rule is coming into effect soon.
There wasn’t a colon or underlining used with Time?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36 pm I filled in 2/22/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1438

There wasn’t a colon or underlining used with Time?
The Time category is in orange. Click on it and you tell me about colon or underlining. ;)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

- Found this season 8 promo. Does anybody know what ep it's from?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 am - Found this season 8 promo. Does anybody know what ep it's from?
I wish I did, but I don't.

The Archive went down as I was entering some clues. Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm
jlgarfield wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 am Found this season 8 promo. Does anybody know what ep it's from?

The Archive went down as I was entering some clues. Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
I started flipping through my notebook for S8 starting with the September games when a brilliant idea struck me, "What if the Dave is TOCer Willis?" I went to his games in January and found #3 was against a Will & Kathy. Go with 1/28/92 as not even cheezguyty will find another game with a champ Dave, challenger Kathy in the middle and a Will on the end. Gotta be it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:09 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm
jlgarfield wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 am Found this season 8 promo. Does anybody know what ep it's from?

I started flipping through my notebook for S8 starting with the September games when a brilliant idea struck me, "What if the Dave is TOCer Willis?" I went to his games in January and found #3 was against a Will & Kathy. Go with 1/28/92 as not even cheezguyty will find another game with a champ Dave, challenger Kathy in the middle and a Will on the end. Gotta be it.
India Cooper's tape that I'm currently doing is January 1992, but it's the start of the month, not the end. I bet I get close though. The last game on the tape is Walter vs. Joseph vs. Rhea. The last game I did was January 8, I figure I've got 6 more from this tape, including the currently updating one, which would put that somewhere near the 16th. And her other tape is 1991, so no dice there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
Are you, um... a married man, Myron?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm Fortunately it was only 4 or 5 clues, but I do so hate doing anything twice.
Are you, um... a married man, Myron?
Twice married, so I guess that's the exception that proves the rule!