The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by hanzz »

You guys are still feeding this troll?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hanzz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm You guys are still feeding this troll?
Over four years and counting with over 3300 posts. Hammer may not be J! champ material (although he passed the test this month), but he is our Wheel champ.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm I meant how many could you name without looking?
Just QEII, but that by no means guarantees she'll be the right answer. They very well could trick us by throwing one of the lesser known queens in there.
Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?

Again, take the guess. Top box material is supposed to be easy. So take the easy guess. And if it's not that, then you weren't getting it right anyways.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm I meant how many could you name without looking?
Just QEII, but that by no means guarantees she'll be the right answer. They very well could trick us by throwing one of the lesser known queens in there.
Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?

Again, take the guess. Top box material is supposed to be easy. So take the easy guess. And if it's not that, then you weren't getting it right anyways.

that is fricking hammer dude for you..LOL
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

It's nice to feel smart after coming up short in the online tests
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 pm Also couldn't understand the "battery" clue. Something about storing energy?! That clue was utter gibberish to me.
It tracks- energy is stored in a battery and it produces a current, hence why your electronics only work when a battery is connected to them. The "chemical" bit should have teased out batteries because most batteries are defined by their elements (eg Nickel cadmium, lithium ion, lead acid, etc).
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?
There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box. With literally nothing pointing to the one queen I can name, I figured it had to be someone I couldn't name. Because if it were QEII they'd be a LOT more blatant.
Wheatley wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 pm It tracks- energy is stored in a battery and it produces a current, hence why your electronics only work when a battery is connected to them. The "chemical" bit should have teased out batteries because most batteries are defined by their elements (eg Nickel cadmium, lithium ion, lead acid, etc).
I understood literally nothing of that.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how come I had absolutely nothing? Just another brain glitch?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box.
Whatever, it's $200, take a guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box.
Top box: "It's police surveillance outside a building to observe or catch criminals"

Me: "...is that even a thing?!"

James: "What is a stakeout?"

Me: "...Dafuq"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:57 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 am
Top box: "It's police surveillance outside a building to observe or catch criminals"

Me: "...is that even a thing?!"

James: "What is a stakeout?"

Me: "...Dafuq"
You don't have to guess if you don't have a guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clue: "Name a feature of the Atlantic."

Me: "................................"

I don't get it. Literally any other day, I could've said "Bermuda Triangle" with little hesitation, especially since I know what a pulp magazine is.

Again, should I just accept the blank here? Figure out why I keep blanking?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm
Over four years and counting with over 3300 posts. Hammer may not be J! champ material (although he passed the test this month), but he is our Wheel champ.
And,
1) this IS the TPH thread.
2) In my two years here on the board, I have read literally billions of posts, and I have never seen one by TPH that insulted a boardie or a contestant on the show. And he's received a lot of incoming fire, both mean spirited and in good humor.
3) Do you care to re-consider your post?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm
And,
1) this IS the TPH thread.
2) In my two years here on the board, I have read literally billions of posts, and I have never seen one by TPH that insulted a boardie or a contestant on the show. And he's received a lot of incoming fire, both mean spirited and in good humor.
3) Do you care to re-consider your post?
My post is fine by me. There was no intent to insult and I was only writing the truth. I respond in this thread usually to try direct traffic here and away from the daily thread. In no way do I consider Hammer a troll. He watches J! and his posts generate responses. He is not anonymous.
CellBlock
Valued Contributor

Post by CellBlock »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 am Clue: "Name a feature of the Atlantic."

Me: "................................"

I don't get it. Literally any other day, I could've said "Bermuda Triangle" with little hesitation, especially since I know what a pulp magazine is.

Again, should I just accept the blank here? Figure out why I keep blanking?
I didn't get that one either. I thought of maybe the Sargasso Sea (like maybe "Wide Sargasso Sea" was first published in/as a magazine? I dunno.) or maybe The Doldrums (as maybe an article was written comparing the emotional state to the geographic location). I couldn't really figure out what a pulp magazine was supposed to be pointing me to.

Of course, on the reveal, yeah, it makes sense and I probably should have gotten it easily.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?
There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box. With literally nothing pointing to the one queen I can name, I figured it had to be someone I couldn't name. Because if it were QEII they'd be a LOT more blatant.
You can name one queen. Guess that one queen. That give you a 1/13 shot at getting the answer right vs. the 0% shot if you just clam up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm
You can name one queen. Guess that one queen. That give you a 1/13 shot at getting the answer right vs. the 0% shot if you just clam up.
1/13 is 7%. That's so close to 0 that it might as well be 0.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
If you ever had a 7% chance that your lottery ticket would hit the Powerball, you’d do it in a heartbeat.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
I think we’ve found the issue.