Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

threearruda wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 pm The show's website is terrible with spoilers in their "This Week on Millionaire" videos. Yet, I still watch them for some reason. Best of retro luck to alietr and 1stlvlthinker this week, although I (probably) already know how one of you fares. :twisted:
Nooo! Stay away!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Teen champ from summer 2007, Meryl Federman http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3975 is on the 4/30 episode

What happened:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Meryl used her last lifeline, friend Colin, and they were in the range of thinking 8' 6" down to 2' 2"
Next:
Spoiler
Meryl went for Conan and dropped to $5,000 as it was Shaq (It's 8' 11.1" down to 21.5")
Comments:
Spoiler
Tough going lately for those with J! tournament experience. I had no idea the shortest person was that short as I was calculating in the 8' 10" range only down to 3' 5" letting me know as I wrong in too tall for Devito and too short for Wahlberg. Up to Shaq being correct was not on my radar.

Fun question to wonder about at home (glad to not be on stage) and why Millionaire is still fun to watch.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I KNEW THat WAS HER!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

threearruda wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 pm The show's website is terrible with spoilers in their "This Week on Millionaire" videos. Yet, I still watch them for some reason. Best of retro luck to alietr and 1stlvlthinker this week, although I (probably) already know how one of you fares. :twisted:
I must not be interesting enough to be placed on the video, lol.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:19 pm Comments:
Spoiler
Tough going lately for those with J! tournament experience. I had no idea the shortest person was that short as I was calculating in the 8' 10" range only down to 3' 5" letting me know as I wrong in too tall for Devito and too short for Wahlberg. Up to Shaq being correct was not on my radar.
I knew I could eliminate Devito, but, like you, had the shortest man in the 3' range. I know Conan is my height, so I figured Wahlberg.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:19 pm Comments:
Spoiler
I knew I could eliminate Devito, but, like you, had the shortest man in the 3' range. I know Conan is my height, so I figured Wahlberg.
Verne Troyer was 2'8".
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

$50,000 was a gimme. The tallest man ever, Robert Wadlow, was 8' 11". The shortest man I don't remember his name, but it was that guy from Nepal who was 1' 9".
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew Robert Wadlow was very close to 9 feet when he died, and it seemed plausible enough that the shortest person was under 2 feet. Shaq it was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tim Leung (1stlvlthinker) is on the 5/1 show:
Spoiler
$10,000
He brought up his +1 friend http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10959 who is Molecular Bacon on this board.
Next:
Spoiler
Tim & Keely decided to use the 50:50 which left B & D.
Next:
Spoiler
Letting themselves be thrown by "paranymph" as a singular and "bridesmaids" a plural, Tim locked in "Her veil" to leave with $5,000.
Comments:
Spoiler
Sorry to see another early exit and with a lifeline on the table.  My processing of the clue was off though it worked as I did "para" like in "paralegal" being a helper, so the bridesmaids.  The prefix "para" is alongside, beside, near...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm Next:
Spoiler
Letting themselves be thrown by "paranymph" as a singular and "bridesmaids" a plural, Tim locked in "Her veil" to leave with $5,000.
Spoiler
And B is "One of her bridesmaids"...singular. Though apparently my prefix knowledge has faded a bit, I used a vague definition of "not exactly" by using paranormal. That would have made for good TV though: :lol: "I'm not sure what para- is, but I know paranormal is not exactly normal...so a paranymph is not exactly a nymph..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm Tim Leung (1stlvlthinker) is on the 5/1 show:
Spoiler
$10,000
He brought up his +1 friend http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10959 who is Molecular Bacon on this board.
Next:
Spoiler
Tim & Keely decided to use the 50:50 which left B & D.
Next:
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
Sorry to see another early exit and with a lifeline on the table.  My processing of the clue was off though it worked as I did "para" like in "paralegal" being a helper, so the bridesmaids.  The prefix "para" is alongside, beside, near...
Here are my thoughts on this, 10 months after the fact.
Spoiler
I definitely didn't think the audience was going to be able to help me on this one. They cut off a few seconds of me trying to decide which lifeline to use, and ultimately I decided to go with Keely since I thought she'd be able to help me with it.

Yeah, I realize my mistake in going with the plural and not the singular, but now that I had time to think of it, I STILL think I mess this up even if I don't make that mistake. Why is that? Because my first thought would have been "parasol" which "blocks out the sun".... and yeah.

Sometimes you know it, sometimes you don't. There are other games where I make 30K without needing a lifeline. Some games I spend 2 lifelines getting to 5K. The biggest disappointment was not getting an analytical type of question where I could show off my engineering brain.
Thanks for watching!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:33 pm Here are my thoughts on this, 10 months after the fact.
Spoiler
I definitely didn't think the audience was going to be able to help me on this one. They cut off a few seconds of me trying to decide which lifeline to use, and ultimately I decided to go with Keely since I thought she'd be able to help me with it.

Yeah, I realize my mistake in going with the plural and not the singular, but now that I had time to think of it, I STILL think I mess this up even if I don't make that mistake. Why is that? Because my first thought would have been "parasol" which "blocks out the sun".... and yeah.

Sometimes you know it, sometimes you don't. There are other games where I make 30K without needing a lifeline. Some games I spend 2 lifelines getting to 5K. The biggest disappointment was not getting an analytical type of question where I could show off my engineering brain.
Thanks for watching!
Congrats, Tim!
Spoiler
They really hit you with an artsy stack! Nice solve on the fashion and Broadway questions.

Loved the trolling of Disney villains Steven Mnuchin and Louise Linton! In my game, I said the Senate was mostly "old white guys" and they cut that right out :cry:

Sorry to see you go down on the wedding question! UGH!

I had it down to bridesmaid and veil, thinking - like you - of "para" meaning against, as in parapluie (umbrella, Fr.) and parasol. The nymph / woman connection was stronger for me, but that's a tough question. No one's ever heard of a paranymph!

You played a deliberate, decisive game! I wish you could have gone higher up the board, but that's Millionaire!

ETA: Tim's logic on paranymph reminded me of the other player from my episode, Anne, who talked herself out of Jack Ruby because she didn't consider him "infamous" enough. I don't think writers are trying to trick you with that type of nuance in the wording. They'll find other ways to trick you ;)
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

I'm working my way through a backlog of recorded shows, but I just got caught up. I haven't been reading this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed. Have the mid level questions suddenly gotten much harder in the past few episodes, or it it just me? On the questions from several weeks and months ago, I probably could have gotten to $50,000 with lifelines to spare more often than not, but recently I'd have to burn a few lifelines just to have a chance on the 5k and 10k questions. It seems to me the show has exhausted its prize budget and is making sure very few people leave with more than 5k.
econgator wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 pm The math made my brain hurt. I narrowed it down to the right one by thinking what could a human do. To me it was, sure why not, gotta be, can't be, and no way.
I didn't even bother with the math. I can run 18 mph and no human can get close to 38 or 48, so that leaves 28.
Yeah, no reason to resort to math on that one. "What is the fastest foot speed a human has ever attained in an official race?" With answers in 10mph increments that's trying to disguise an easy sports question as a tricky math problem.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Wow. The first contestant surprised me. Even I knew the World Series trophy question.

Way to go Tim. Looking forward to seeing Andy on the show Friday. :D
Douglas Squasoni
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 pm Wow. The first contestant surprised me. Even I knew the World Series trophy question.

Way to go Tim. Looking forward to seeing Andy on the show Friday. :D
Yeah, part of me is watching old shows and saying "WHY COULDN'T MY
Spoiler
$10,000
QUESTION BE LIKE THAT!!!!!" I get that his wasn't actually at that value, but I'm just now being salty :)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:33 pm
Here are my thoughts on this, 10 months after the fact.
Spoiler

Thanks for watching!
Congrats, Tim! You did a fine job navigating what I thought was a very tough stack (I did not know the paranymph question either). I feel the same way you do about playing along from home; just goes to show how unpredictable the game can be.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thanks for sending me a link, Tim. Stupid DVR!
Spoiler
Sigh. You couldn't hear me yelling back through time, could you? I've never heard of a paranymph, but I definitely keyed in on 'nymph' as being a maiden, so I would have locked that in. They do throw some zingers in there every now and then. You were right to parse the singular, you just didn't so correctly, unfortunately. Sorry you didn't get the big bucks out of it. You can make fun of me tomorrow (possibly).
Vintsanity wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 pm Have the mid level questions suddenly gotten much harder in the past few episodes, or it it just me? On the questions from several weeks and months ago, I probably could have gotten to $50,000 with lifelines to spare more often than not, but recently I'd have to burn a few lifelines just to have a chance on the 5k and 10k questions. It seems to me the show has exhausted its prize budget and is making sure very few people leave with more than 5k.
The shows don't air in the order they're taped, so no, you can't make this generalization. I taped at the very end of the taping period, yet some of my Green Room compatriots aired long ago. It does seem random how tough the stacks are, or, more importantly, where they get tough.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:58 am Thanks for sending me a link, Tim. Stupid DVR!
Spoiler
Sigh. You couldn't hear me yelling back through time, could you? I've never heard of a paranymph, but I definitely keyed in on 'nymph' as being a maiden, so I would have locked that in. They do throw some zingers in there every now and then. You were right to parse the singular, you just didn't so correctly, unfortunately. Sorry you didn't get the big bucks out of it. You can make fun of me tomorrow (possibly).
Vintsanity wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 pm Have the mid level questions suddenly gotten much harder in the past few episodes, or it it just me? On the questions from several weeks and months ago, I probably could have gotten to $50,000 with lifelines to spare more often than not, but recently I'd have to burn a few lifelines just to have a chance on the 5k and 10k questions. It seems to me the show has exhausted its prize budget and is making sure very few people leave with more than 5k.
The shows don't air in the order they're taped, so no, you can't make this generalization. I taped at the very end of the taping period, yet some of my Green Room compatriots aired long ago. It does seem random how tough the stacks are, or, more importantly, where they get tough.
Stacks are assigned in a random order, and the contestants are assigned to play in a separate random order. What we don't know is how many stacks they have to assign at any given time. My theory on this is they have a week's worth of question stacks in a random order. In this stack are the FU stacks (really hard ones, no joke questions in the first five), normal ones, and maybe one easy one. Then the players for the week are assigned to play in a random order. This is how they keep their prize budget where they want it as they know what each week will cost. It doesn't matter what order they show anyone in, but for the most part full weeks are taped in one day.

Of course they can't predict with absolute certainty how the random contestants will do on any given stack, but in the long run, it would obviously work out.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 pm In this stack are the FU stacks (really hard ones, no joke questions in the first five), ...
I don't believe there are any of these. I'll admit they've badly estimated how difficult a particular question is, but I can't remember a stack that I wasn't able to get through to $5k that required any mental exertion. They're all pretty much gimmes to that point unless you make a dumb mistake.
LucarioSnooperVixey

For Tyler, Don Quixote's horse was Rocinante.

Knew $30,000 before choices came up. It is mentioned in a fact book I have and that I have scanned many times. Pavarotti's applause record was beaten just a few years later when fellow Tenor, Placido Domingo performed Otello in Vienna in 1991. Receiving an applause that lasted for 1 hour 20 minutes.
Douglas Squasoni