The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
did you old man beat you for not being perfect?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.

My mom would berate me if I didn't get an A+, because she knew that I, having skipped three grades, could "do better". Than an A-freaking-minus. The way she screamed at me, you'd think I'd have done like Calvin once did and said that Chef Boyardee was the first President.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm

I think we’ve found the issue.
We've known that's the issue for 4+ years.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm

My mom would berate me if I didn't get an A+, because she knew that I, having skipped three grades, could "do better". Than an A-freaking-minus. The way she screamed at me, you'd think I'd have done like Calvin once did and said that Chef Boyardee was the first President.
should have told her to pizz off
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm
hanzz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm You guys are still feeding this troll?
Over four years and counting with over 3300 posts. Hammer may not be J! champ material (although he passed the test this month), but he is our Wheel champ.
And,
1) this IS the TPH thread.
2) In my two years here on the board, I have read literally billions of posts, and I have never seen one by TPH that insulted a boardie or a contestant on the show. And he's received a lot of incoming fire, both mean spirited and in good humor.
3) Do you care to re-consider your post?
My post is fine by me. There was no intent to insult and I was only writing the truth. I respond in this thread usually to try direct traffic here and away from the daily thread. In no way do I consider Hammer a troll. He watches J! and his posts generate responses. He is not anonymous.
MB,
I make a sucky wingman, lol... I meant to backstop your pitch perfect counterpoint to hanzz. In the process I realized that despite millions of ad hominem attacks on him, TPH has never pulled a Donald Trump. I likewise endeavor not to ever flame anybody, and felt half sad about trying to shame hanzz. I was lazy about the quoting. Thank you for your great demeanor.
tfb
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?
There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box. With literally nothing pointing to the one queen I can name, I figured it had to be someone I couldn't name. Because if it were QEII they'd be a LOT more blatant.
You can name one queen. Guess that one queen. That give you a 1/13 shot at getting the answer right vs. the 0% shot if you just clam up.

1/13 is 7%. That's so close to 0 that it might as well be 0.

another quiz for you to help you reinforce corgis and queenie

https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/the-bri ... dern-times
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm

There you go then, that would explain exactly why you feel so hesitant to take a guess on a low-stakes ingame and zero stakes for you question. I am very sorry that you had to go through that, since it clearly had bad effects on your confidence, but hopefully, being able to vocalize will be a first step to improving your game, as well as not blaming the question when you can't get a top-row one.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

#7857, aired 2018-11-06 WOMEN'S FIRSTS $2000: Vigdis Finnbogadottir of this nation, the world's 1st elected female president, served from 1980 to 1996
#6835, aired 2014-05-09 FEMALE WORLD LEADERS $800: Vigdis Finnbogadottir was president of this country for almost the entire 1980s
#6631, aired 2013-06-17 FEMALE WORLD LEADERS $400: PM Johanna Sigurdardottir of this Atlantic island country is the world's first openly gay head of govt.
#6081, aired 2011-02-07 WOMEN IN CHARGE $400: Vigdis Finnbogadottir led a theatre co. for many years before becoming this country's president in 1980
#5155, aired 2007-01-26 SHE USED TO BE IN CHARGE $1600: President Vigdis Finnbogadottir
#3070, aired 1997-12-26 WOMEN OF THE WORLD $600: Iceland's first female president, Vigdis Finnbogadottir, was born in this capital city in 1930
#1907, aired 1992-12-15 WORLD LEADERS $200: In 1980 Reykjavik Theater director VIgdis Finnbogadottir became this country's first woman president

The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.
Yes and most of those are bottom row clues. And I'm pretty sure Iceland is not the only island in all of Europe.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.
Yes and most of those are bottom row clues. And I'm pretty sure Iceland is not the only island in all of Europe.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
actually...let's go crazy went to number 1...purple rain only to number 2
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

teapot37 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm
Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
And "1999," which bizarrely only peaked at no. 12 in the U.S., is probably as well-known as any of his other songs.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

And I doubt either of those have ever come up on J! before. Or are known by anyone who isn't Icelandic.
We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic, i.e. men have a -son surname like Jonsson (Jon's son) and women have -dottir.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
teapot37 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
My experience has been that almost nobody can name any of these except "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain". The only reason I know "Raspberry Beret" is because it was a puzzle on Wheel (twice!) and it sometimes plays on the piped-in music at my job. #1 hits aren't always a benchmark -- does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson? No, because the whole world pretends that "Billie Jean" was his first single.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson?
yes

edit: left a closing bracket in
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu May 02, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Was that a serious question? I'm younger than you, TPH, and I know all three. I could even name certain facts about each.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
teapot37 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
My experience has been that almost nobody can name any of these except "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain". The only reason I know "Raspberry Beret" is because it was a puzzle on Wheel (twice!) and it sometimes plays on the piped-in music at my job. #1 hits aren't always a benchmark -- does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson? No, because the whole world pretends that "Billie Jean" was his first single.
what about 1999? it was the anthem for the year 1999 and the song was released over a decade before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

still kind of funny that hammer dude gripes about well known prince songs but he will put songs most people have never heard of in the top 10 for most artists he ranks on his twitter page
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
What do you want us to do? Take a poll? [I'll leave that to Mark Barrett's discretion!] Trust me, this is well-known or at least well-known among people who aim to be on Jeopardy!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.