The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
What do you want us to do? Take a poll? Trust me, this is well-known or at least well-known among people who aim to be on Jeopardy!
It might not be well known among average Americans, but for people who are inclined to learn and play trivia games, it's pretty common.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
What do you want us to do? Take a poll? Trust me, this is well-known or at least well-known among people who aim to be on Jeopardy!
Yeah, it's a genuinely interesting fact that may not save your life but could enhance your worldview. Rather than hold it at arm's length, maybe do a little research when you get a chance. If not, no big deal.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What do you want us to do? Take a poll? [I'll leave that to Mark Barrett's discretion!] Trust me, this is well-known or at least well-known among people who aim to be on Jeopardy!
I got to Iceland easily enough (I'm ashamed to say it was the attractive female picture :roll: , but island nation, and then analysis of the syllables in the name would have worked also), but I have never run across the idea that any of these Scandinavian (?) names are pinned this consistently. I don't know where one would pick up this factoid either, at least in the wild. You see 10 names and notice it and ask an Icelander, yeah.
I picked up that Mexicans (Hispanics?, Central Americans?, others?) name after the mother and the father from a friend with a Latin wife. But it isn't very common to see the two surnames in the wild.
From the reactions here, this may poll high here, but I think it is a bit eclectic for anyone who hasn't explored Icelandic culture.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:00 pm I got to Iceland easily enough (I'm ashamed to say it was the attractive female picture :roll: , but island nation, and then analysis of the syllables in the name would have worked also), but I have never run across the idea that any of these Scandinavian (?) names are pinned this consistently. I don't know where one would pick up this factoid either, at least in the wild. You see 10 names and notice it and ask an Icelander, yeah.
I picked up that Mexicans (Hispanics?, Central Americans?, others?) name after the mother and the father from a friend with a Latin wife. But it isn't very common to see the two surnames in the wild.
From the reactions here, this may poll high here, but I think it is a bit eclectic for anyone who hasn't explored Icelandic culture.
Again. It's not like people whose names come from other nationalities can't be rulers of a country. Again, our previous President was named "Barack Hussein Obama", which is nowhere remotely close to being an American name. So it could very well be any country.

All I saw was "name I have literally never seen before" + "country in Europe", which, without the hand-holding that is far too common in the $200 box, may very well be anywhere.

Also, I might do polls for MJ and/or Prince songs.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ral315 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:52 am It is a fairly well-known part of Nordic culture - and particularly Icelandic culture - that they use last names with the suffixes "son"/"sen" and "dóttir" (daughter) to indicate their father.
[citation needed]

"-son"/"-sen" names are so omnipresent that I didn't think they were tied to any particular region, and I've never seen a "-dottir" name anywhere. Again, without the massive handholding that is so often commonplace in $200, they may very well be from ANYWHERE.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To my knowledge you have heard of Lusitania: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2578&p=150572&hilit ... ia#p150572
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm
I think you'll find that, in this case, your experience is just not mainstream. Nearly everyone on this board can name most of the Prince songs and will recognize all of the 70's Michael Jackson songs that were mentioned upthread. All of us have unexpected gaps in our knowledge; " Let's Go Crazy" is apparently one of yours.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:34 pm
I think you'll find that, in this case, your experience is just not mainstream. Nearly everyone on this board can name most of the Prince songs and will recognize all of the 70's Michael Jackson songs that were mentioned upthread. All of us have unexpected gaps in our knowledge; " Let's Go Crazy" is apparently one of yours.
Hell, Prince and MJ as a whole seem to be holes in my knowledge base. At least the songs I do know are agreeable enough for me to want to work on filling that hole. Unlike say, AC/DC, ABBA, or Queen.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:00 pm I got to Iceland easily enough (I'm ashamed to say it was the attractive female picture :roll: , but island nation, and then analysis of the syllables in the name would have worked also), but I have never run across the idea that any of these Scandinavian (?) names are pinned this consistently. I don't know where one would pick up this factoid either, at least in the wild. You see 10 names and notice it and ask an Icelander, yeah.
Again. It's not like people whose names come from other nationalities can't be rulers of a country. Again, our previous President was named "Barack Hussein Obama", which is nowhere remotely close to being an American name. So it could very well be any country.

All I saw was "name I have literally never seen before" + "country in Europe", which, without the hand-holding that is far too common in the $200 box, may very well be anywhere.

what is an american name? you know my name from twitter and that isn't exactly a "standard" american name and i was born here
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:34 pm
Hell, Prince and MJ as a whole seem to be holes in my knowledge base. At least the songs I do know are agreeable enough for me to want to work on filling that hole. Unlike say, AC/DC, ABBA, or Queen.
for those about to learn....we salute you
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm Again. It's not like people whose names come from other nationalities can't be rulers of a country. Again, our previous President was named "Barack Hussein Obama", which is nowhere remotely close to being an American name. So it could very well be any country.
There's not really such a thing as an American name the way you're trying to claim, and it's disingenuous to claim that the multiculturalism that leads to people with non–"American names" into American leadership positions is indicative of what happens in the rest of the world. You might as well make the same claim about people with the last names Ratzinger and Wojtyła having been the leaders in Vatican City. You're grasping at straws to say a white woman with an Icelandic name could very well have led any country.

Also, I think aside from echoes of colonialism (such as Africans with French or English names, Filipinos with Spanish names, and so on), the only leaders of Country X with non–Country X names outside the US that J! would expect you to name (or expect you to name the country given the name), are people who have a first/last name ethnic mismatch where their first name fits the country: Alberto Fujimori was Peru's president, and Éamon de Valera was Ireland's president.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm Again. It's not like people whose names come from other nationalities can't be rulers of a country. Again, our previous President was named "Barack Hussein Obama", which is nowhere remotely close to being an American name. So it could very well be any country.
There's not really such a thing as an American name the way you're trying to claim, and it's disingenuous to claim that the multiculturalism that leads to people with non–"American names" into American leadership positions is indicative of what happens in the rest of the world. You might as well make the same claim about people with the last names Ratzinger and Wojtyła having been the leaders in Vatican City. You're grasping at straws to say a white woman with an Icelandic name could very well have led any country.

Also, I think aside from echoes of colonialism (such as Africans with French or English names, Filipinos with Spanish names, and so on), the only leaders of Country X with non–Country X names outside the US that J! would expect you to name (or expect you to name the country given the name), are people who have a first/last name ethnic mismatch where their first name fits the country: Alberto Fujimori was Peru's president, and Éamon de Valera was Ireland's president.
Don't forget my favorite, Bernardo O'Higgins of Chile...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:50 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 am

Don't forget my favorite, Bernardo O'Higgins of Chile...
I thought of him, but I mistakenly thought he was merely a revolutionary.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm
ral315 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:52 am It is a fairly well-known part of Nordic culture - and particularly Icelandic culture - that they use last names with the suffixes "son"/"sen" and "dóttir" (daughter) to indicate their father.
[citation needed]

"-son"/"-sen" names are so omnipresent that I didn't think they were tied to any particular region, and I've never seen a "-dottir" name anywhere.
The most famous example would be Björk Guðmundsdóttir, but most people know her by her first name alone.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 am Also, I think aside from echoes of colonialism (such as Africans with French or English names, Filipinos with Spanish names, and so on), the only leaders of Country X with non–Country X names outside the US that J! would expect you to name (or expect you to name the country given the name), are people who have a first/last name ethnic mismatch where their first name fits the country: Alberto Fujimori was Peru's president, and Éamon de Valera was Ireland's president.
That's really not quite right. Besides the already mentioned Bernardo O'Higgins, there are very recent and prominent examples of Nicolas Sarkozy and Vicente Fox, just off the top of my head.

It's easy to get flustered by TPH's imperviousness and start exaggerating in the opposite direction.

ETA: Also, Donald Tusk is a former Prime Minister of Poland and, had political winds blown a little differently, Oskar Lafontaine could have become Chancellor of Germany in the 1990s.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Just wondering if Donald Tusk had Fleetwood Mac and the USC band play at his inaugural...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So the name was literally the only TOM
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 pm So the name was literally the only TOM
Along with the category and all the other words in the clue, yes .
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 pm So the name was literally the only TOM
Literally, no.

I shouldn't be surprised you've forgotten this already, but European island nation was also there.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gnash wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 am Also, I think aside from echoes of colonialism (such as Africans with French or English names, Filipinos with Spanish names, and so on), the only leaders of Country X with non–Country X names outside the US that J! would expect you to name (or expect you to name the country given the name), are people who have a first/last name ethnic mismatch where their first name fits the country: Alberto Fujimori was Peru's president, and Éamon de Valera was Ireland's president.
That's really not quite right. Besides the already mentioned Bernardo O'Higgins, there are very recent and prominent examples of Nicolas Sarkozy and Vicente Fox, just off the top of my head.

It's easy to get flustered by TPH's imperviousness and start exaggerating in the opposite direction.

ETA: Also, Donald Tusk is a former Prime Minister of Poland and, had political winds blown a little differently, Oskar Lafontaine could have become Chancellor of Germany in the 1990s.
Thanks. I should have known better.