The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 pm So the name was literally the only TOM
Literally, no.

I shouldn't be surprised you've forgotten this already, but European island nation was also there.
Again. Because Iceland is the only island in all of Europe, right?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 pm So the name was literally the only TOM
Literally, no.

I shouldn't be surprised you've forgotten this already, but European island nation was also there.
In combination with the name, yes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 pm In combination with the name, yes.
So if you don't know the hyper-obscure name, then you're hosed.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Literally, no.

The only island nation with a significant Nordic populace.

Oh, crap, I give up!
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:34 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 pm In combination with the name, yes.
So if you don't know the hyper-obscure name, then you're hosed.
Correct
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 pm The only island nation with a significant Nordic populace.

Oh, crap, I give up!
The clue said absolutely jack squat about "Nordic". Where are you getting THAT from?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:39 pm
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 pm The only island nation with a significant Nordic populace.

Oh, crap, I give up!
The clue said absolutely jack squat about "Nordic". Where are you getting THAT from?
Asked and answered. We know it, you don't. It's that simple.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Oh, crap, I give up!
Asked and answered. We know it, you don't. It's that simple.
Yeah, and everyone knew Liederkranz too, right?

The only clue to "Nordic" is "kinda sorta vaguely almost sounds Nordic if maybe you've never seen a Nordic name before. Because people who rule a nation always have names originating from that nation."
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Literally, no.

Again, I'll bite. How many European island nations do you know? Did you guess one of them?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 pm Again, I'll bite. How many European island nations do you know? Did you guess one of them?
UK, Ireland, Cyprus. I can at least assume it's probably not the UK, which still leaves it 1-in-3. Not good odds for the top box at all.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 pm Again, I'll bite. How many European island nations do you know? Did you guess one of them?
UK, Ireland, Cyprus. I can at least assume it's probably not the UK, which still leaves it 1-in-3. Not good odds for the top box at all.
So did you guess? You complain about 1 in 3 odds, but that's way better than the 0 percent chance of you not guessing. And clearly, other people had it figured out. You think that name comes from Ireland or Cyprus? Sure it COULD, but it's the top box. They're not trying to trick you there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm So did you guess? You complain about 1 in 3 odds, but that's way better than the 0 percent chance of you not guessing. And clearly, other people had it figured out. You think that name comes from Ireland or Cyprus? Sure it COULD, but it's the top box. They're not trying to trick you there.
I dunno, with the diacritical marks I could totally see that as Gaelic or a phonetic spelling of a Greek name. Both actually seem far MORE plausible than Icelandic to me.

And again. If I guess, I guess wrong. If I don't guess, I'm just as wrong. Seems like neither is beneficial.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm So did you guess? You complain about 1 in 3 odds, but that's way better than the 0 percent chance of you not guessing. And clearly, other people had it figured out. You think that name comes from Ireland or Cyprus? Sure it COULD, but it's the top box. They're not trying to trick you there.
I dunno, with the diacritical marks I could totally see that as Gaelic or a phonetic spelling of a Greek name. Both actually seem far MORE plausible than Icelandic to me.

And again. If I guess, I guess wrong. If I don't guess, I'm just as wrong. Seems like neither is beneficial.
This bitching about it for 3 days, is that beneficial?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 pm This bitching about it for 3 days, is that beneficial?
So what I'm getting is that the TOM was super obscure for the top box. Can we just poll this and see how many actually got it? I'm saying 40, tops.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:03 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 pm This bitching about it for 3 days, is that beneficial?
So what I'm getting is that the TOM was super obscure for the top box. Can we just poll this and see how many actually got it? I'm saying 40, tops.
Every single peson who has responded about this has told you exactly the opposite. It's not super obscure, it's not remotely obscure. What we're getting is that you do not listen to logic, reason, facts, or the opinions of anyone who isn't you. But this is nothing new.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:08 am
Every single peson who has responded about this has told you exactly the opposite. It's not super obscure, it's not remotely obscure. What we're getting is that you do not listen to logic, reason, facts, or the opinions of anyone who isn't you. But this is nothing new.
you should follow him on twitter...dude thinks some of the most famous prince songs are obscure, but constantly posts about what are obscure country songs to most, but are pretty much common knowledge in his mind
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 am
you should follow him on twitter...dude thinks some of the most famous prince songs are obscure, but constantly posts about what are obscure country songs to most, but are pretty much common knowledge in his mind
As long as we're airing grievances, this is a board for Jeopardy, no one cares about his twitter or what country songs he posts about. If you wanna stalk him on twitter and mock things he posts there, do it on twitter or in private messages. Or maybe don't do it at all.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:33 am
As long as we're airing grievances, this is a board for Jeopardy, no one cares about his twitter or what country songs he posts about. If you wanna stalk him on twitter and mock things he posts there, do it on twitter or in private messages. Or maybe don't do it at all.
not entirely true...there is a who wants to be a millionaire thread...also some other game shows like common knowledge and mental samurai

was just pointing out his contradicting nature that he can't take things from an objective approach
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:33 am
Amen
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:08 am Every single peson who has responded about this has told you exactly the opposite. It's not super obscure, it's not remotely obscure.
I disagree. For a trivia devotee it is not obscure but for a "normal" person I think it is quite obscure. But as someone making the trek from the latter to the former, it is now lodged firmly in my mind.