Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda »

Many congrats for a wonderful performance, Andy!
Spoiler
My brother answered fruit flies with absolute certainty before I had a chance to think through the answers (turns out he read that fact somewhere). Grrrrrr.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Very well played, alietr!
Spoiler
I had no Idea on your $100K question. From Wikipedia:

"The first animals sent into space were fruit flies aboard a U.S.-launched V-2 rocket on 20 February 1947 from White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.The purpose of the experiment was to explore the effects of radiation exposure at high altitudes. The rocket reached 68 miles (109 km) in 3 minutes and 10 seconds, past both the U.S. Air Force 50-mile and the international 100 km definitions of the boundary of space. The Blossom capsule was ejected and successfully deployed its parachute. The fruit flies were recovered alive. Other V-2 missions carried biological samples, including moss."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Golf

Post by Golf »

I thought Andy played the game well and properly, both of which are unusual properties these days.

I would bet that TPTB wanted him to discuss his thinking out loud because while he did so, it did not seem like he was wanting to. Not a big deal one way or another, will just be curious to hear his take.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 pm I thought Andy played the game well and properly, both of which are unusual properties these days.

I would bet that TPTB wanted him to discuss his thinking out loud because while he did so, it did not seem like he was wanting to. Not a big deal one way or another, will just be curious to hear his take.
Thanks! Praise from you is high praise indeed. They do tell you to discuss your thinking, but I guess I went into teacher mode and started explaining everything. I wouldn't say I didn't want to; I think it was mostly to reassure myself that I was doing it right.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats Andy! Well played. I was hoping the string of wheelhouse geography questions could continue - it looked like a straight path to a million.

I was stumped on the 100k too. Your +1 argued that fruit flies were used for DNA research, but 1947 is too early for that... I guess other genetic research happened before Watson and Crick.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 pm Congrats Andy! Well played. I was hoping the string of wheelhouse geography questions could continue - it looked like a straight path to a million.

I was stumped on the 100k too. Your +1 argued that fruit flies were used for DNA research, but 1947 is too early for that... I guess other genetic research happened before Watson and Crick.
My thought process also. But I did realize DNA was known, and either way, we would loosely describe any genetic or mutation studies as DNA studies. I didn't know DNA was already 70 years old:
Spoiler
In 1881 Albrecht identified nuclein as a nucleic acid and provided its present chemical name, deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). He also isolated the five nucleotide? bases that are the building blocks of DNA and RNA?: adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), thymine (T) and uracil (U).

This work was rewarded in 1910 when he received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
Why fruitflies and not turtles or goldfish? If this citation is correct, it is cosmic rays, baby...
Spoiler
The first animals sent into space were fruit flies aboard a U.S.-launched V-2 rocket on 20 February 1947 from White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. The purpose of the experiment was to explore the effects of radiation exposure at high altitudes.
Looking forward to the synopsis. Great stage presence also, tutorial but not chatty or mansplain-y. btw, I might have wiped out on the Quebec question :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Yay Andy!!! :D

The victory lap was pretty funny. :lol:

Got all the questions up to $20k instantly. Wasn't sure about $30k, but was leaning towards 2Pac. $50k I narrowed it down to B and C, then thought that 45% was also a bit too high, and got to B.

$100,000 Question
In the same fact book that I talked about on this forum yesterday, there is a page about space travelers, people and animals. It doesn't mention the 1947 space flight, but it does mention about Swordtail fish that went aboard Columbia in 1998 and also Albino Rats that travelled on Spacelab-3 in 1985. There was even a spider named Arabella that was sent to the Skylab station as well as Green Tree Frogs that were sent to the Mir station. Also, it talked about baby chicks that hatched when aboard the Mir station. I felt as though that if it were Guinea Pigs, Goldfish, or Turtles, they probably would have mentioned it on the page. Thus, I chose Fruit Flies as it seemed that those creatures would be least important and most likely to be overshadowed.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nicely done, Andy! Tupac was actually an instaget for me as I recalled his parents’ Black Panther connections (shocking, given my abysmal pop music stats). I was right there with you and Scott on the $100K question. Even with the 50/50 I didn’t know.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:25 pm Many congrats for a wonderful performance, Andy!
Spoiler
My brother answered fruit flies with absolute certainty before I had a chance to think through the answers (turns out he read that fact somewhere). Grrrrrr.
Spoiler
i got it without the choices...i edit bar trivia games and there was a question about that in one of the games i reviewed in the last year
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats! As the host observed, you made it look easy!
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

Congratulations on your run! I hope your winnings lead to lots of good things.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Big congrats, Andy! Well earned. Spend it well!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Nice run!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof

Post by Woof »

Nicely done, Andy! Who was your Plus One?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 pm Nicely done, Andy! Who was your Plus One?
Two-time Learned League Scarf winner Scott Blish.
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:53 pm
Woof wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 pm Nicely done, Andy! Who was your Plus One?
Two-time Learned League Scarf winner Scott Blish.
Ha! How did I miss that? He should have worn his scarves... perfectly suited for Las Vegas weather. Come to think of it, I had to watch Mark’s video on my phone because Comcast showed the wrong episode locally, so I have some excuse
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shark Week concluded with Matt Higgins playing following the airing of Lori Greiner, Rohan Oza, and Robert Herjavec. Matt has appeared on only a few episodes as far as I can recall and it's too bad Millionaire could not get more of the regular sharks to participate.

On the last question of the show, Chris told Matt, "You have to make a call" in forcing his hand to either guess or walk.
Spoiler
What happened:
Spoiler
Matt decided to walk with $20,000. The correct answer is 16.
Comments:
Spoiler
It was amazing that Matt made it to the $30,000 Q as he needed help for the 3, 5, & 7K Qs. All of a sudden he started playing better getting harder questions right with no lifelines for 10K and 20K. For the pennies I was able to figure out the right one only by imagining a roll of pennies length by extending my fingers, cutting in half for 25 and knowing 24 stacked had to be more than an inch. Whatever works.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:11 pm Comments:
Spoiler
It was amazing that Matt made it to the $30,000 Q as he needed help for the 3, 5, & 7K Qs. All of a sudden he started playing better getting harder questions right with no lifelines for 10K and 20K. For the pennies I was able to figure out the right one only by imagining a roll of pennies length by extending my fingers, cutting in half for 25 and knowing 24 stacked had to be more than an inch. Whatever works.
At first blush I thought a stack of 10 would be an inch tall, but there was no way a penny could be over an inch in diameter to satisfy the second half of the question, and 3/4 of an inch seemed much more reasonable. 16, final answer.

I liked the "which of these choices is a number larger than the others combined" question, largely because I had pretty close to exact amounts for the three wrong answers and could eliminate them all for being too close together. It would have been more diabolical to have a set of choices a < b < c < d, where a+b < c as well as a+b+c < d.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got through all of them without a lifeline. I feel like he got a very easy stack. But I do think the difficulty level of the stacks they used for Shark Week were otherwise consistent with normal weeks. I went with Sg on the penny; I recognized that they're less than an inch, but I was thinking more than half an inch, so 16 it is.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Being used to the metric system helps. It's completely obvious to me that a penny is more than 1 mm, but less than 2 mm thick.