2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance »

2018-19 NHL Playoffs

The New York Islanders become the 1st team since 1993 (Buffalo Sabres) to get swept in a series after sweeping the previous series.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

65-1 longshot Country House wins the Kentucky Derby after the disqualification of Maximum Security.

A $1 Superfecta ticket would have netted you a cool $54k.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In the 145th running of the Kentucky Derby today, Maximum Security, after initially being declared the winner, became the first winner in history to be disqualified due to an infraction on the course. Country House, a huge underdog before the race at 65-1 odds, was declared the victor. Country House becomes the second-biggest longshot ever to win the Run for the Roses. I think it's safe to say there will be no Triple Crown winner this year.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat May 04, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:18 pm 65-1 longshot Country House wins the Kentucky Derby after the disqualification of Maximum Security.

Even though I could see the justification for DQ my wallet says, (insert expletives). At least it's only $20-something dollars in winnings denied and only a $5 bet lost.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

For an opinion on the Kentucky Derby, Deadspin!
https://deadspin.com/the-kentucky-derby ... 1834530029
After nearly 20 minutes of deliberation, they determined that barely interfering with horses that didn’t come anywhere close to winning during a tight curve was egregious enough to warrant taking down a Kentucky Derby winner, and hand that title to the horse and jockey that finished second—who, may I remind you, likely only called for this objection as a last-ditch effort to see if he could get lucky.
This is likely too deep to be clue material
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 pm For an opinion on the Kentucky Derby, Deadspin!
After nearly 20 minutes of deliberation, they determined that barely interfering with horses that didn’t come anywhere close to winning during a tight curve was egregious enough to warrant taking down a Kentucky Derby winner, and hand that title to the horse and jockey that finished second—who, may I remind you, likely only called for this objection as a last-ditch effort to see if he could get lucky.
Prime LearnedLeague material though.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:50 pm
Volante wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 pm For an opinion on the Kentucky Derby, Deadspin!
J! has asked about the recent Triple Crown winners twice; I don't see why they couldn't ask about this, which is unprecedented and very newsworthy.

http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 pm
J! has asked about the recent Triple Crown winners twice; I don't see why they couldn't ask about this, which is unprecedented and very newsworthy.

The winner is fair game. Or that there was a DQ. Details of said DQ, not so much.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the golden state warriors lose a game for the first time when draymond green records a triple double...they were 27-0 going into saturday's game
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

News that may affect J! music categories and the phrasing of future clues:

Rolling Stone magazine will begin publishing its own music charts in a challenge to Billboard magazine. The new “Rolling Stone Charts” will encompass the top 100 singles and the top 200 albums in the U.S., with the singles chart being updated daily instead of weekly.

The new charts will rely on data from analytics firm Alpha Data, which tracks daily sales, streaming, and airplay of songs, artists, and albums.

Three other weekly charts that will launch May 13 are the Rolling Stone Artist 500, ranking the most-streamed artists; the Rolling Stone Trending 25, a list of the fastest-moving songs based on a number of metrics; and the Rolling Stone Breakthrough 25, which will look at artists who have entered the chart for the first time.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Volante wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 am

The winner is fair game. Or that there was a DQ. Details of said DQ, not so much.
Other than Aristides and Triple Crown winners, do you think there is any other Derby winner one would have to know on Jeopardy?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

akrites wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm Other than Aristides and Triple Crown winners, do you think there is any other Derby winner one would have to know on Jeopardy?
Not a Derby winner, but I've always thought it was worth remembering Alydar, so by extension maybe Alysheba?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

akrites wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm
Volante wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 am

Other than Aristides and Triple Crown winners, do you think there is any other Derby winner one would have to know on Jeopardy?
Because Secretariat is also a Triple Crown winner, asking for the holder of the Kentucky Derby record time doesn't produce a new name, but maybe in a TOC they'd ask for the name of the previous record holder:
Spoiler
Northern Dancer
. FTR, Secretariat holds the record for the fastest time in all three Triple Crown races. Take that, Usain Bolt!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor (or Master Archie)

Parents: Duke & Duchess of Sussex (Prince Harry & Meghan Markle)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Joey Gallo (Texas Rangers) becomes the first player to reach 100 home runs before recording 100 singles (93)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor (or Master Archie)

wow they went with archie? what what were the betting odds on that one? didn't even see that name mentioned as one of the top choices
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor (or Master Archie)

Harrison (Harry's son) as a middle name is a cute touch.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess you get a little more latitude in naming your kid if it is unlikely he will ever be king. Doubt great-granny signs off on Prince Archie if it is William’s first born.
davey

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Who do they think they are, Icelanders??
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

davey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Who do they think they are, Icelanders??
Swish.