Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Chert, Legends of Tomorrow, and Fiduciary Rule.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cheat, Cacao, Typing, (Golden Rule), Soprano, George Armstrong Custer, (Samuel de Champlain), Ballet Rus
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

sarisson wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 pm Not quite. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3636
Surprisingly, he didn't make it to the finals!
Count me as another one who got FJ, but it came to me after I eliminated "Good grief!" Only diehard Peanuts fans are going to get this one.
Hah, good thing I said "quick look". Thanks for the correction!

But nevertheless, this is a great piece of evidence in favor of not getting carried away by one great performance.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
georgetrev
Contributor

Re: Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by georgetrev »

Put me in the “good grief” club as well. It was the only thing that came to mind in FJ.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm 57 R (Missed Chert, Legends of Tomorrow, and Fiduciary Rule.)
LT: Cheat, Cacao, Typing, (Golden Rule), Soprano, George Armstrong Custer, (Samuel de Champlain), Ballet Rus
So you got Bismuth? I don't necessarily need to see it polled, but would like fellow posters to indicate if they did get it. I had no idea that we ingest a heavy metal for medical reasons. The Barium enema of yesteryear, I understand. But Bismuth is in modern lead acid battery plates. And Calcium carbonate is Tums for Pete's sake. I can't believe they didn't overrule the neg for Tums and ulcers.

I can't judge the FJ difficulty overall as it came easy for me. Maybe because I sit in my recliner with my "bah-bah" as twelvefootgirl calls it. (My insulated drink glass, not a blankie). Bah-bah, binkie, security blanket,
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Francois ran up a pretty big total against two very weak opponents. I don't think we'll be seeing him in the finals because he missed a lot of fairly easy questions.

I had to laugh at his guess of Grant. In 1861 he graduated from West Point? In 1861 he was already running the whole spiel. And to boot his name doesn't begin with C. I got Custer just from knowing he graduated last in his class.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 pm I had no idea that we ingest a heavy metal for medical reasons.
There's a reason it's called Pepto-Bismol.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:23 am
I had to laugh at his guess of Grant. In 1861 he graduated from West Point? In 1861 he was already running the whole spiel. And to boot his name doesn't begin with C. I got Custer just from knowing he graduated last in his class.
Well, not quite. It was only in 1864, after Vicksburg and Chattanooga, that he was made General in Chief.

As for graduating last, I regard that as a sort of triumph. Even so, I am guessing that the recently published "Last in Their Class: Custer, Pickett and the Goats of West Point", employs "goat" in its earlier, non-acronymic, sense.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm 57 R (Missed Chert, Legends of Tomorrow, and Fiduciary Rule.)
So you got Bismuth? I don't necessarily need to see it polled, but would like fellow posters to indicate if they did get it. I had no idea that we ingest a heavy metal for medical reasons. The Barium enema of yesteryear, I understand. But Bismuth is in modern lead acid battery plates. And Calcium carbonate is Tums for Pete's sake. I can't believe they didn't overrule the neg for Tums and ulcers.

I can't judge the FJ difficulty overall as it came easy for me. Maybe because I sit in my recliner with my "bah-bah" as twelvefootgirl calls it. (My insulated drink glass, not a blankie). Bah-bah, binkie, security blanket,
I also said Calcium. If I said Bismuth, I would have had *Bismuth* listed in the LT.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Calcium despite being familiar with the use of Bismuth.

Knew Mavis.

FJ ... in my book that's unfair sticking a clunker like that in the first round of a tourney. The other FJs haven't approached this level of difficulty. Count me as another "Good Grief" with a detour to figuring out what they might be talking about with Lucy. Even after the reveal, I was having trouble connecting that to secrecy. Boo! writers Boo!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am Calcium despite being familiar with the use of Bismuth.

Knew Mavis.

FJ ... in my book that's unfair sticking a clunker like that in the first round of a tourney. The other FJs haven't approached this level of difficulty. Count me as another "Good Grief" with a detour to figuring out what they might be talking about with Lucy. Even after the reveal, I was having trouble connecting that to secrecy. Boo! writers Boo!
There's always one. Whether that is a good idea or not is certainly a matter up for debate, but there always seems to be one Really Difficult Final in the tournament quarterfinals.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Yes, another Good Grief here.

While we, the reader/viewer, may refer to Linus' blanket as a security blanket, I do not recall his fellow characters calling it such - at least not very often. Whereas Good Grief occurs regularly. I'm not saying the clue is flawed but perhaps it could have been reworded somehow.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"Good grief" for me. You could have given me an hour and I don't think I'd have come up with "security blanket." I knew Linus carries a blanket, but didn't know Schulz actually referred to it as a security blanket. This one is going to have a very low get rate, I'm sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's Peanuts:

davey

Post by davey »

heppm01 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am Yes, another Good Grief here.

While we, the reader/viewer, may refer to Linus' blanket as a security blanket, I do not recall his fellow characters calling it such - at least not very often. Whereas Good Grief occurs regularly. I'm not saying the clue is flawed but perhaps it could have been reworded somehow.
At this link, Schulz is quoted saying-
Although I am sure I was the first to bring attention to the fact that children used blankets for security, I doubt that I used the term ‘security blanket’.
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/201 ... y-blanket/
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 am
As for graduating last, I regard that as a sort of triumph.
For those who may not have heard the canard:

Q: "Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in his class in Med School?"

A: "Doctor"

(eta- gender neutrality!)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 am
I also said Calcium. If I said Bismuth, I would have had *Bismuth* listed in the LT.
So you got 56 right and it should have been listed in your missed list? I'm not the auditor (that's Peter the Accountant, lol :lol: ), but many of us follow your game reports just like when Tiger Woods is playing. The ultimate trophy is to get a TS that LSV missed ;) .

I've been made woke to Pepto Bismol now, but still think it was a stanky clue - more so than the wildly unpopular FJ. Now I'm going to go ingest some Arsenic to help balance my humours.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm I'm not sure where "secrecy" fits in, but I guessed "security blanket" with little confidence.

9 times out of 10 I call her Mavis Bacon. I wonder what I'd have done here. Clammed up, I bet.
Even after hearing the reveal I couldn't fathom any connection between secrecy and security blanket. Sounds to me like a simply awful clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:22 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 am
So you got 56 right and it should have been listed in your missed list? I'm not the auditor (that's Peter the Accountant, lol :lol: ), but many of us follow your game reports just like when Tiger Woods is playing. The ultimate trophy is to get a TS that LSV missed ;) .
Calcium was ultimately accepted, so LSV marked it as a get.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm I'm not sure where "secrecy" fits in, but I guessed "security blanket" with little confidence.

9 times out of 10 I call her Mavis Bacon. I wonder what I'd have done here. Clammed up, I bet.
Even after hearing the reveal I couldn't fathom any connection between secrecy and security blanket. Sounds to me like a simply awful clue.
You don't think keeping things secret and information security are related concepts?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

davey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 am
heppm01 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am Yes, another Good Grief here.

At this link, Schulz is quoted saying-
Although I am sure I was the first to bring attention to the fact that children used blankets for security, I doubt that I used the term ‘security blanket’.
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/201 ... y-blanket/
The clue neither said nor implied that Schulz used the term.