Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:22 am
alietr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am Calcium despite being familiar with the use of Bismuth.

Knew Mavis.

FJ ... in my book that's unfair sticking a clunker like that in the first round of a tourney. The other FJs haven't approached this level of difficulty. Count me as another "Good Grief" with a detour to figuring out what they might be talking about with Lucy. Even after the reveal, I was having trouble connecting that to secrecy. Boo! writers Boo!
There's always one. Whether that is a good idea or not is certainly a matter up for debate, but there always seems to be one Really Difficult Final in the tournament quarterfinals.
Unpredictability of FJ difficulty is such a fundamental part of J! that the game would be significantly different if one could count on a certain level of difficulty based on things like the stage of the tournament. If I'm sitting at 12-14k in a tournament QF, the wagering decision is really hard, but if I could count on a no-worse-than-average FJ, I'm probably going all in.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:22 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm 57 R (Missed Chert, Legends of Tomorrow, and Fiduciary Rule.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cheat, Cacao, Typing, (Golden Rule), Soprano, George Armstrong Custer, (Samuel de Champlain), Ballet Rus
I also said Calcium. If I said Bismuth, I would have had *Bismuth* listed in the LT.
So you got 56 right and it should have been listed in your missed list? I'm not the auditor (that's Peter the Accountant, lol :lol: ), but many of us follow your game reports just like when Tiger Woods is playing. The ultimate trophy is to get a TS that LSV missed ;) .
Calcium was ultimately accepted, so LSV marked it as a get.
And I wonder why I'm not the auditor? I missed the reversal - I assume it was prior to clue reveal, which I often join in progress from the DVR skip. The judges had no choice with Tums and peptic ulcers, but as AT said, they tried to get to clever/cute.
LSV rocks! And the chert clue was a stanker also.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

I guessed "good grief" as well.

I went to the same high school and graduated in the same class with Vicki's husband (Harrison County High School, 2007), so that was really cool to see.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm
davey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 am
heppm01 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am Yes, another Good Grief here.

While we, the reader/viewer, may refer to Linus' blanket as a security blanket, I do not recall his fellow characters calling it such - at least not very often. Whereas Good Grief occurs regularly. I'm not saying the clue is flawed but perhaps it could have been reworded somehow.
At this link, Schulz is quoted saying-
Although I am sure I was the first to bring attention to the fact that children used blankets for security, I doubt that I used the term ‘security blanket’.
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/201 ... y-blanket/
The clue neither said nor implied that Schulz used the term.
"Used to describe secrecy during WWII, this 2-word term had its psychological meaning popularized by Charles Schulz." You don't think that implies he used it? How do you popularize a certain meaning of a term without using said term? His depiction of Linus may have LED to the popularization of that meaning. But if he never used the term himself, I'd say the clue is incorrect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He used it. There are a lot of comics where the word "security" is merely mentioned in discussion of the blanket, but the phrase "security blanket" (sometimes hyphenated) certainly appears in Peanuts comics.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When computer search technology makes a liar out of Charles Shulz
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Educational Games category. And I was more Mario Teaches Typing than Mavis Beacon. Loved the rap song that came with the former.

The "some of your bismuth" clue was a terrible pun, and I actually know that bismuth is used to treat stomach issues (e.g., Pepto-Bismol). I ended up also saying calcium, and since that was overturned, that means I also ran that category.

I actually looked up "chert" because of the song "Mountain Music", but the information slipped back out of my head and caused me not to run the category.

Also NHO "butterbeans" so I was 4/5 there.

Marvel + claws = Wolverine, right? Wrong. NEGBAIT!!!!! Just as well, superheroes are boring as hell anyway.

What was the TOM for Boxing in Rules for $400? I didn't see any hints at all.

DJ! was incredibly tough. I had "Bear" and all but "Furies" in Angry Words, but not a glimmer of hope on the rest.

What two-word psychological term is linked to Charles Schulz? Gotta be security blanket. I made the connection to blanket/secrecy easily, and I'm surprised at the TS onstage and the number of misses here.

Lach Trash: cheat, C-A-C-A-O, typing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:35 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm I knew Mavis Beacon, but I learned typing more from Mario Teaches Typing.
So did-a I! That's-a why I type-a like-a this!
This was my main reason for preferring Mario Teaches Typing:

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 pm
gnash wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm
davey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 am
heppm01 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am Yes, another Good Grief here.

While we, the reader/viewer, may refer to Linus' blanket as a security blanket, I do not recall his fellow characters calling it such - at least not very often. Whereas Good Grief occurs regularly. I'm not saying the clue is flawed but perhaps it could have been reworded somehow.
At this link, Schulz is quoted saying-
Although I am sure I was the first to bring attention to the fact that children used blankets for security, I doubt that I used the term ‘security blanket’.
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/201 ... y-blanket/
The clue neither said nor implied that Schulz used the term.
"Used to describe secrecy during WWII, this 2-word term had its psychological meaning popularized by Charles Schulz." You don't think that implies he used it? How do you popularize a certain meaning of a term without using said term? His depiction of Linus may have LED to the popularization of that meaning. But if he never used the term himself, I'd say the clue is incorrect.
He popularized its psychological meaning. That is fully accomplished by drawing it. It does not mean he used the term.

I see others have found evidence that Schulz's memory was faulty, which is of course favorable to the clue, though not necessary.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm Marvel + claws = Wolverine, right? Wrong. NEGBAIT!!!!! Just as well, superheroes are boring as hell anyway.
Yeah, I fell for that too. The only thing that keeps me from calling NEGBAIT is that they included the year 2018 and Black Panther was the highest grossing movie that year and everybody not living under a rock knew about it. So you and I just got screwed by not knowing something that most people know. It happens. I refuse to redress my ignorance on this subject, so it'll happen again.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm What two-word psychological term is linked to Charles Schulz? Gotta be security blanket. I made the connection to blanket/secrecy easily, and I'm surprised at the TS onstage and the number of misses here.
This is a truly amazing moment.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The strips in seaborgium's link are tiny, so here's a more readable version of one, from January 15, 1963:

FJ was an instaget for me, as a 2-word "psychological term" popularized by Charles Schulz.