Friday, May 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7990, 2019-05-10

2019 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Ellie Walsh, a high school world history and U.S. government teacher from Nashville, Tennessee
Benjamin Schwartz, a middle school English teacher from Stamford, Connecticut
Dave Rowswell, a high school art teacher from Cheyenne, Wyoming

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone. Well, we already know who four of the semifinalists are. They'll be joined by today's winner. Ellie, Benjamin and Dave, good luck. Here we go. Enjoy the experience. Here are the categories for you, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PARENT COMPANY (5/5)
NATURAL LANDMARKS (2/5)
2-WORD ALLITERATION (5/5)
HEY, YOU! (4/5)
HALL PASS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S NOT RHESUS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Benjamin: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Ellie: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Dave: 7 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Benjamin: $2,000
Ellie: $1,600
Dave: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ellie Walsh is a high school world history teacher from Nashville, Tennessee, who likes to dress according to what you're teaching.

Ellie: A lot of maps. I have map dresses, map skirts, map necklaces, map earrings. I was really inspired by Ms. Frizzle as a child.

Alex: Ms. Frizzle?

Ellie: Yes, from The Magic School Bus.

Alex: Oh, right.

Ellie: But since I don't teach science, I just do a lot of maps on my clothes in history class.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Benjamin Schwartz from Stamford, Connecticut. A big hip-hop fan. And has been known to engage his students in a little bit of competition there.

Benjamin: That's absolutely right, Alex. I like to keep my students and myself on my toes. I ask them sometimes to freestyle off the top of their heads and go back and forth with me. I'm happy to drop a few bars if you'd like right now.

Alex: I think it would be best if we did not get into that because you would embarrass the daylights out of me. I could not compete at all. Believe me.

Alex: Dave Rowswell is a high school art teacher from Cheyenne, Wyoming, who writes and produces game shows, or quiz shows. For your students, or--

Dave: That's right. My favorite game show is to play a game of Wheel of Fortune Cookies.

Alex: Wait a minute. You're a contestant on the Jeopardy! Teachers Tournament, and you're playing Wheel of Fortune Cookies?

[Laughter]

Dave: It's a lot of fun.

Alex: Couldn't come up with a game for Jeopardy!?

Dave: Oh, I could--I could come up with one. It would be Jeop-Arty!. Maybe. I don't know.

Alex: Not bad. He's trying, he's trying.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Benjamin found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Dave had $400, Benjamin had $4,200, and Ellie was at $3,800. Benjamin wagered $1,000.

HALL PASS $1000: Praise the Lord! The Fisk Jubilee Singers & the Mighty Clouds of Joy are members of this hall of fame
(Benjamin: What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's right.)
(Benjamin: [Overlapping] Gospel music?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATURAL LANDMARKS $800: The gorgeous Gorge du Verdon wends its way through the range called the Provence these

NATURAL LANDMARKS $400: There's stone in the name of this material seen in Kunming, a stone forest in China
(Dave: What is sandstone?)

NATURAL LANDMARKS $1000: Outside Las Cruces you'll find this national monument created by gypsum deposits

HEY, YOU! $1000: You're awesome, Sally Ride, riding into history in 1983 onboard this shuttle as the USA's first woman in space

IT'S NOT RHESUS $800: File this marmoset relative, not a rhesus, under the letter "T"
(Ellie: What is tamarind?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the Double Jeopardy! Round.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Benjamin: $5,800
Ellie: $3,200
Dave: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD OF LIT (2/5)
COMPUTERS (3/5)
BEATLES SONGS BY LYRIC (4/5)
TRYING TIMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"O-U" WORDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Benjamin: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Dave: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ellie: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Benjamin snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Dave had $600, Benjamin had $9,000, and Ellie was at $3,200. Benjamin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,000.

THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD $800: "The Drinking Gourd" was this group of stars that helped runaways find the North Star in the night sky

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dave who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Dave had $5,000, Benjamin had $17,200, and Ellie was at $6,800. Dave wagered $2,000.

TRYING TIMES $1200: In 1735 John Peter Zenger was acquitted of this using the argument that printing the truth was not illegal
(Dave: What is heresy?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEATLES SONGS BY LYRIC $1600: "Nothing you can sing that can't be sung"
(Benjamin: What is... "Love"?)

"O-U" WORDS $1200: It's the stabilizing float attached to the canoe seen here
(Benjamin: What is a buoy?)
(Dave: What is a pontoon?)

WORLD OF LIT $1200: Though scholars disagree on who actually wrote "Le Morte d'Arthur", this Englishman & knight gets the credit

WORLD OF LIT $1600: Of Aeschylus' 7 surviving tragedies, this one about a war between Oedipus sons has "Seven" in the title

WORLD OF LIT $2000: The "Kalevala", this European country's national epic, was compiled from oral poetry in the 1800s

COMPUTERS $400: From the Greek for "around", it's an auxiliary device like a keyboard or printer that's attached to a computer

COMPUTERS $1600: Setting the stage for the PC revolution, in 1975 he & a pal co-founded Microsoft

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Benjamin: $22,000 (lock game)
Ellie: $8,800
Dave: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Benjamin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ellie: Wager $3,601 to cover Dave.
Dave: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state entered the Union in 1820 after separating from another state that began with the same 2 letters

FINAL SCORES
Dave: $6,200 + $6,100 = $12,300 (What is Maine?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Ellie: $8,800 - $8,799 = $1 (What is Minnesota?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Benjamin: $22,000 + $1 = $22,001 (What is Maine?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Benjamin: $13,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Ellie: $8,800, 11 R, 1 W
Dave: $8,200, 14 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Benjamin: 23/60 = .383
Dave: 15/59 = .254
Ellie: 11/58 = .190
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HEY, YOU! $600: You are a winner & put on a dominating performance at the 2012 London Olympics
(Ellie: [While ringing in] Who is Gabby Doug--)
(Alex: Ellie.)
(Ellie: Who is [*]?)

2-WORD ALLITERATION $200: The most basic elements or essentials, or what's in the photograph

2-WORD ALLITERATION $600: Bartenders can really stir things up with these mixing rods

HEY, YOU! $800: Hey, Lao-Tzu, you're considered the founder of this Chinese religious philosophy & the author of its principal text
(Dave: What is Confucianism?)

HALL PASS $800: The National Toy Hall of Fame says this 2018 inductee "provides an opportunity to flirt harmlessly with fortune telling"
(Dave: What is a Ouija board?)

THE PARENT COMPANY $400: Cadillac & Chevrolet
(Dave: What is American Motors?)

IT'S NOT RHESUS $200: It's not a rhesus; it's the monkey named for this type of headwear women choose for Easter

BEATLES SONGS BY LYRIC $1200: "What would you think if I sang out of tune"
(Dave: "I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends.")
(Benjamin: What is "A Little Help From My Friends"? Or "I Get By With A"--)
(Alex: Nope.)
(Benjamin: "Little Help From My Friends"?)
(Alex: No.)
[Benjamin's response was originally ruled incorrect, then ruled correct before the first Daily Double of the round because he "added a word, but it was not an incorrect word".]

BEATLES SONGS BY LYRIC $2000: "Filling in a ticket in her little white book"
(Alex: Meter maid.)

THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map of the Ohio River on the monitor.) The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 banned slavery north of the Ohio River, eventually making this major Ohio city a key first stop for many escaping slavery; it's now the home to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

"O-U" WORDS $400: Seen here is a re-creation of one of these tournaments between knights

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Gospel Hall of Fame
the Provence Alps
limestone
White Sands National Monument
the Challenger
tamarin
the Big Dipper
libel
"All You Need Is Love"
outrigger
Sir Thomas Malory
Seven Against Thebes
Finland
a peripheral
Paul Allen
Maine
Gabby Douglas
bare bones
swizzle sticks
Daoism
a Magic 8-Ball
General Motors
bonnet
"With A Little Help From My Friends" (or I get by "With A Little Help From My Friends"
"Lovely Rita"
Cincinnati
joust
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state entered the Union in 1820 after separating from another state that began with the same 2 letters

Dave Rowswell: 6200+6100=12300 (Wildcard)
Benjamin Schwartz: 22000+1=22001 (Semi-Finalist)
Ellie Walsh: 8800-8799=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Maine (Ellie – Minnesota)

Daily Doubles
Benjamin: 4200+1000
Benjamin: 9000+9000
Dave: 5000-2000

Coryats
Dave: 8200
Benjamin: 13800
Ellie: 8800

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 1800
Benjamin: 5800
Ellie: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wildcards:
Julia: 10200+5000-15200
Dave: 6200+6100=12300
Matthew: 12400-2800=9600
Sara: 9600-1201=8399

The what-if game:
Spoiler
If Tara got credit for chimes ($1600) then that is 4200 for FJ! and $8400 doubled up. Has anyone come up with an explanation why tubular bells has to be the sole correct response and "chimes" are wrong?
Two scoring changes had the game less than smooth to conclude the week (and a long taping day for all involved).

Ellie mentioning The Magic School Bus and Ms. Frizzle was a couple of days late after the clue played on Wednesday.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue as I did 1820 to Missouri compromise and wasted time working on other "MI" states to find a match. Another inexcusable miss to not know the right state instantly. Wake up, Mark!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Chimes are free standing, bells are not.

The "Tubular Bells" needed a Mike Oldfield reference to get past my sniff test.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 pm Chimes are free standing, bells are not.
I can certainly find sources that equate them:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Tubular_bells/ ... ular_bells
https://www.britannica.com/art/tubular-bells
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So some random Z-string British politician who reigned in the 1840s is $200 box material, huh?

Ran 2 Word Alliteration and Parent Company, plus "OU" in DJ!

Can't believe I blanked on Stan Lee. And Stevie Nicks.

The Natural Landmarks category seemed pretty obscure.

Those were some tough Beatles lyrics. "Drive My Car" seemed a bit much for $400 since it wasn't even a single (to be fair, the Beatles are one of the only acts where I would expect knowledge of even their album cuts to be commonplace). I was at least familiar with the ones I missed, but NHO "Lovely Rita".

Took me a few seconds to get this one, but then I remembered that Maine used to be part of Massachusetts and it clicked. Thankfully "ME" is quick to write.

Lach Trash: outrigger, peripheral
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

They ruled Ellie wrong for saying "tamarind" and yet it was spelled that way in the credits! :roll:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

1820 was all I needed to instaget FJ.

Ran Beatles Songs with half my brain tied behind my back and no extra lyrics tacked on.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

1820 was one way to go, another was to thing of breakaway states. Got Maine but was not an instaget.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 pm So some random Z-string British politician who reigned in the 1840s is $200 box material, huh?
His name was irrelevant. I've never heard of him, but I got it right. Two principal political parties in the UK in the 19th century: Tories (Conservatives) and Whigs. The Z-string politician was a member of the nobility (an earl); ergo Conservative. Besides, even if you didn't know that men with titles were far more likely to be Conservative, it's a 50:50 toss up. So of course it was top box.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 pm So some random Z-string British politician who reigned in the 1840s is $200 box material, huh?
His name was irrelevant. I've never heard of him, but I got it right. Two principal political parties in the UK in the 19th century: Tories (Conservatives) and Whigs. The Z-string politician was a member of the nobility (an earl); ergo Conservative. Besides, even if you didn't know that men with titles were far more likely to be Conservative, it's a 50:50 toss up. So of course it was top box.
easy for the person who used to live in uk
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's intellectually dishonest to characterize the politician as the material of the clue. He was immaterial except as a pin to the party (which, as CailinGaoilge explained, was essentially a 50/50 shot).

Reigning is done by monarchs, by the way.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

That's a lot of dots to connect and leaps of faith. Where's the Labor Party? The Bull Moose, or Greens, or Democrats for that matter. For $200, I expect something like : "This pompous ass was a member of this party which is also a political philosophy characterized by bigotry and intolerance in the US now".

I thought there were a lot of traps and tricks in these boards. I thought the monkey had a "D". Why did Alex say "wend" instead of "wind" for that Alps clue?

I think Benjamin is going to Holzhauer his way to the championship. Why did he go true DD with 9K? I think he has a lot of strong categories.

I wonder if they will give a shout-out to Larry Martin on Thursday's game.

As a Missourian, I knew that we offset Maine as a free state to keep our Conservative values of human slavery in 1820. I did NOT know that Maine was ever North Massachusetts. But, it wasn't Missouri/Mississippi/Michigan/Minnesota so it fell into WECIB, in spite of the geographic offset.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What part of the clue said "member of nobility"?

And I would think a top box would be a 1 in 1, not 1 in 2, 1 in 3, or 1 in 62,783.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pm As a Missourian, I knew that we offset Maine as a free state to keep our Conservative values of human slavery in 1820. I did NOT know that Maine was ever North Massachusetts. But, it wasn't Missouri/Mississippi/Michigan/Minnesota so it fell into WECIB, in spite of the geographic offset.
Yeah, 1820 statehood to me is Pavlov for Monroe's 1820 Missouri Compromise, which, as you mentioned, added Maine as a non-slave state, Missouri to balance it with a slave state. Thanks for the 11th grade American history class, Mr. Buckley!

From there I had to think of where the break off origins came from. Given I live New England, started with Maine, and from there Massachusetts. Hey, Ma-! Had it before Alex was done with the clue, didn't even have to think of Missouri breaking off from the Southeastern portion of the Missouri territory.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pm
That's a lot of dots to connect and leaps of faith. Where's the Labor Party? The Bull Moose, or Greens, or Democrats for that matter. For $200, I expect something like : "This pompous ass was a member of this party which is also a political philosophy characterized by bigotry and intolerance in the US now".

I thought there were a lot of traps and tricks in these boards. I thought the monkey had a "D". Why did Alex say "wend" instead of "wind" for that Alps clue?

I think Benjamin is going to Holzhauer his way to the championship. Why did he go true DD with 9K? I think he has a lot of strong categories.

I wonder if they will give a shout-out to Larry Martin on Thursday's game.

As a Missourian, I knew that we offset Maine as a free state to keep our Conservative values of human slavery in 1820. I did NOT know that Maine was ever North Massachusetts. But, it wasn't Missouri/Mississippi/Michigan/Minnesota so it fell into WECIB, in spite of the geographic offset.

totally agree...suggests we need to be familiar with british political parties of the 19th century...which isn't top box material
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Surprised they negged "I Get by With a Little Help from My Friends" but didn't neg "Baby, You Can Drive My Car."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Le Master wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:33 am Surprised they negged "I Get by With a Little Help from My Friends" but didn't neg "Baby, You Can Drive My Car."
He didn't phrase it correctly.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pmWhy did Alex say "wend" instead of "wind" for that Alps clue?
Probably because that's what is said on his answer sheet.