Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by oduguy22 »

Just curious, has anybody heard about Who Wants to Be A Millionaire being renewed for next season?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

oduguy22 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:47 pm Just curious, has anybody heard about Who Wants to Be A Millionaire being renewed for next season?
Last I heard, it wasn't likely, but I haven't seen anything definitive.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

alietr wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:21 pm
oduguy22 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:47 pm Just curious, has anybody heard about Who Wants to Be A Millionaire being renewed for next season?
...because of ratings, or cost!?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:45 pm
I don’t get it at all. Ratings keep going up, and costs are steady. Why anyone wants to take a chance on another show, I’m not sure but my only guess is demographics. Stations seem to want a female dominated audience
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Instagets on all questions today.

Towards the end of the episode, you can see why this episode aired today. The $30,000 had the final line from the Seinfeld finale.

Tomorrow marks the 21st anniversary of the episode. Which I actually watched with my parents when I was a month and a half old. It was also the day Frank Sinatra died. May 14, 1998.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm Instagets on all questions today.

Towards the end of the episode, you can see why this episode aired today. The $30,000 had the final line from the Seinfeld finale.

Tomorrow marks the 21st anniversary of the episode. Which I actually watched with my parents when I was a month and a half old. It was also the day Frank Sinatra died. May 14, 1998.
I remember that! Not the part where you were watching, but the Sinatra announcement. We were watching Conan, I think, but maybe it was David Letterman. They broke into the show with some old-timey looking placard that said something like SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. And some orchestral music of the special announcement sort started playing. This went on for longer than it ought to. I'm guessing they were scurrying around behind the scenes finalizing the announcement and encountered complications. In any event, it went on long enough that my wife and I started laughing, thinking maybe this was a bit. Then someone finally came on screen and told us Frank had died.

I didn't realize that was later on the same day as Finalfeld.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sometimes I have no expectations to find that a Millionaire contestant has also appeared on J! although I check the Archive just to make sure. Today was the opposite as I fully expected to find Valerie Alexander in the Archive and yet she has not appeared on the show.

She does have quite the pages on Wikipedia and IMDb though:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2301399/bio ... _ov_bio_sm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Alexander

If she ever comes across the J! contestant coordinators then Valerie would be a good one for "The Call" unless she is ineligible due to some conflict of interest or contacts in the industry.

Comments on her Millionaire appearance today:
Spoiler
Valerie's approach to asking only for medical experts on the ATA was unusual. Nice to see a +1 "drop some knowledge" as Chris sometimes says about that lifeline. That leaves the 50:50 lifeline. It's nice to have aspirations for a higher level question, though as a viewer I wonder what the 50:50 would have left when it is not used on some questions.

Good episode today.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm Instagets on all questions today.

I had no clue on that question. Audience might have known?

Hilarious moment when his wife realized he'd drop to $5K with a wrong answer! Glad he walked. It seemed like he was itching to go for it, and her last comment nudged him in that direction

I liked the course correct by the Thousandaire. Blah blah blah - oh, never mind, I know this!
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:30 pm
I don’t get it at all. Ratings keep going up, and costs are steady. Why anyone wants to take a chance on another show, I’m not sure but my only guess is demographics. Stations seem to want a female dominated audience
I can't see the show getting the axe!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:30 pm
I can't see the show getting the axe!
like i've said before, there is always the possibility that it stays on the 8 O&O's just to keep the rights out of the hands of Sony.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey

The Sergei Eisenstein question should have been $7,000 instead of $20,000.

Stephen Friedrich: T. S. Eliot was English I believe.

Bruce Springsteen: BORN IN THE USA!!!

Me: Actually, American born naturalized British citizen. ;)

Stephen: I think that's the poem of ... that came on a path of forest, "the one less traveled by"?

Me: For (probably not) the last time. The Robert Frost poem is "The Road Not Taken". :roll:

Anyway, he had the wrong poem, but the right poet. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:16 pm Hilarious moment when his wife realized he'd drop to $5K with a wrong answer! Glad he walked. It seemed like he was itching to go for it, and her last comment nudged him in that direction
Totally an I Love Lucy moment there. Got Chris pretty good.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm The Sergei Eisenstein question should have been $7,000 instead of $20,000.

Stephen: I think that's the poem of ... that came on a path of forest, "the one less traveled by"?

Me: For (probably not) the last time. The Robert Frost poem is "The Road Not Taken". :roll:

Actually, Eliot was also born in the USA (St. Louis). Didn't get British citizenship until ha was 39.
OCSam
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm The Sergei Eisenstein question should have been $7,000 instead of $20,000.

Actually, Eliot was also born in the USA (St. Louis). Didn't get British citizenship until ha was 39.
Uh... that's what he was saying.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 5/16 episode had two people (Liz Fritz & Jeremy Cahnmann) with it not their first rodeo:
Spoiler
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10315

The one post by Liz: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3248&p=197040#p197040 is interesting as a reminder she got in trouble for her double shout-out.

$20,000

Jeremy won $50,000 in February after missing the $100,000 Q.
Correct answer:
Spoiler
They agreed to use the 50:50 which left A & B. Jeremy had at first been thinking A though did enough to convince Liz to go for the correct B after he liked the cuckoo is a bird connection.
An interview (from 2016) about Liz and her time on J! and studying abroad: https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/ ... rUySW.dpbs

Comments:
Spoiler
The $20,000 Q messed with my head as I was almost sure that Cloud Cuckoo Land was in The Lego Movie while Happy Valley sounded like a perfectly good name for the setting of the movie that I could not recall. Happy Valley seemed impossible for Aristophanes. The other factor confusing me was recalling a Cloud Cuckooland in the Nintendo 64 game Banjo-Tooie.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 pm The 5/16 episode had two people (Liz Fritz & Jeremy Cahnmann) with it not their first rodeo:
Spoiler
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10315

The one post by Liz: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3248&p=197040#p197040 is interesting as a reminder she got in trouble for her double shout-out.

$20,000

Jeremy won $50,000 in February after missing the $100,000 Q.
Correct answer:
Spoiler
They agreed to use the 50:50 which left A & B. Jeremy had at first been thinking A though did enough to convince Liz to go for the correct B after he liked the cuckoo is a bird connection.
An interview (from 2016) about Liz and her time on J! and studying abroad: https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/ ... rUySW.dpbs

Comments:
Spoiler
The $20,000 Q messed with my head as I was almost sure that Cloud Cuckoo Land was in The Lego Movie while Happy Valley sounded like a perfectly good name for the setting of the movie that I could not recall. Happy Valley seemed impossible for Aristophanes. The other factor confusing me was recalling a Cloud Cuckooland in the Nintendo 64 game Banjo-Tooie.
Spoiler
Happy Valley is a British TV series available on Amazon Prime. I've seen The Lego Movie but I don't remember this from there, only from Aristophanes...I guess that makes me an outlier... :geek:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kelly Ripa Not Backing Down from Bachelor Criticism After Chris Harrison, Mike Fleiss Slam Her

"If anything, her success in syndication and promotion of these shows pays their salaries," a source close to Kelly Ripa's show tells PEOPLE

Why pick that kind of fight with your own network?
LucarioSnooperVixey

Another good day for me. Got $7,000 - $30,000 before choices came up. But Selenology for $30,000? Really?

For Liz, the most western mainland point in Europe is Cabo da Roca.

Also leant towards London for $50,000.

Seriously Jeremy, you call yourself dumb, yet you won $50,000 on that same show? :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:51 pm But Selenology for $30,000? Really?
What's that then, the study of Veep?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Last night at pub quiz, there was a very easy question about the scientific name for the tailbone. After we'd turned in our answer, I asked my teammate Brian Fodera if he knew what bird it was named for. He didn't, and I told him it was the cuckoo, adding that one of Aristophanes' plays had a place called Nephelococcygia, or Cloud Cuckoo Land. Wild that that little bit would be worth $20,000 on TV some 16 hours later.
Spoiler
That word was only implied this time, but it has explicitly come up on Millionaire before, in a $1M question during that Tournament of Ten thing many years ago. I think I'd learned the word in the Aristophanes context prior to seeing that, and forgotten it, but "coccygia" combined with the choices made me think of someone on their butt in a field as they watched the clouds.