2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm Because Secretariat is also a Triple Crown winner, asking for the holder of the Kentucky Derby record time doesn't produce a new name, but maybe in a TOC they'd ask for the name of the previous record holder:
Spoiler
Northern Dancer
. FTR, Secretariat holds the record for the fastest time in all three Triple Crown races. Take that, Usain Bolt!
The second fastest time ever in the Kentucky Derby was by
Spoiler
Sham, who finished second to Secretariat in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness (Sham's time was the 5th fastest Preakness ever). Sham tried to stay with Secretariat in the Belmonte Stakes, but ultimately couldn't match the pace and endurance and finished last. In any other year, Sham had a good chance to be a triple crown winner.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tyra Banks will now go by Tyra Banx for her modeling name and will be on the cover of SI for the 2019 swimsuit edition.

ABC will air a special: Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's All in the Family and The Jeffersons

Archie Bunker: Woody Harrelson
Edith Bunker: Marisa Tomei
Gloria: Ellie Kemper

George Jefferson: Jamie Foxx
Louise (Weezy): Wanda Sykes
Tom: Will Ferrell

TV Cast of The Big Bang Theory (the main 7 actors) became the first TV cast to leave their handprints at TCL Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood

Hulu will air Catch-22 based on Joseph Heller work:

Lt. then later Gen. Scheisskopf: George Clooney
Doc Daneeka: Grant Heslov
John Yossarian: Christopher Abbott
Col. Cathcart: Kyle Chandler
Lt. Milo Minderbinder: Daniel David Stewart

Netflix show Dead to Me starring Christina Applegate & Linda Cardelini

Movie now on Netflix: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

Ted Bundy: Zac Efron
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:22 pm Tyra Banks will now go by Tyra Banx for her modeling name and will be on the cover of SI for the 2019 swimsuit edition.

ABC will air a special: Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's All in the Family and The Jeffersons

TV Cast of The Big Bang Theory (the main 7 actors) became the first TV cast to leave their handprints at TCL Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood

i thought woman in a burkini was going to be on the cover?

that didn't get a theatrical release?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:22 pm Tyra Banks will now go by Tyra Banx for her modeling name and will be on the cover of SI for the 2019 swimsuit edition.

i thought woman in a burkini was going to be on the cover?

that didn't get a theatrical release?
oh she is just inside the issue...weird they announced that before they announced who is going to be on the cover...btw...why is the issue only coming out now? thought they are always released in the winter months
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Jim Fowler, wildlife expert and longtime co-host of “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom” with Marlin Perkins, has passed away at the age of 89. Fowler appeared on more than 100 episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.”
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

As with so many magazines these days, there are actually multiple versions with different covers (three, to be exact) -- my subscription copy has someone else on the cover (Camille Kostek, to be exact).

Despite the supposed name change, Tyra is "Banks" in the issue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trainman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 am
As with so many magazines these days, there are actually multiple versions with different covers (three, to be exact) -- my subscription copy has someone else on the cover (Camille Kostek, to be exact).

Despite the supposed name change, Tyra is "Banks" in the issue.
alex morgan is also a cover model
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:22 pm

not only is the new ted bundy movie on netflix, but so is death house...never considered paid streaming services before, but with these 2 movies there, i could actually give it a go
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

boson wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 pm
Woof wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm Because Secretariat is also a Triple Crown winner, asking for the holder of the Kentucky Derby record time doesn't produce a new name, but maybe in a TOC they'd ask for the name of the previous record holder:
Spoiler
Northern Dancer
. FTR, Secretariat holds the record for the fastest time in all three Triple Crown races. Take that, Usain Bolt!
The second fastest time ever in the Kentucky Derby was by
Spoiler
Sham, who finished second to Secretariat in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness (Sham's time was the 5th fastest Preakness ever). Sham tried to stay with Secretariat in the Belmonte Stakes, but ultimately couldn't match the pace and endurance and finished last. In any other year, Sham had a good chance to be a triple crown winner.
Was that actually a timed result? It was my understanding that the times for non-winning horses were only estimates, based on distance behind the winning horse.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Peggy Lipton, who played Julie on the iconic 1960s TV series Mod Squad, has died at age 72. She was also a regular on the original Twin Peaks series. Comic actress/writer/producer Rashida Jones is the daughter of Peggy Lipton and music producer Quincy Jones.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:45 pm Peggy Lipton, who played Julie on the iconic 1960s TV series Mod Squad, has died at age 72. She was also a regular on the original Twin Peaks series. Comic actress/writer/producer Rashida Jones is the daughter of Peggy Lipton and music producer Quincy Jones.
That's a bummer. She went to my high school.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Doris Day--singer, actress, animal welfare advocate--has died after a bout of pneumonia. She was in otherwise in good health and had just celebrated her 97th birthday in early April. J! preppers should remember that she was born Doris Kappelhoff.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

squarekara wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 am Doris Day--singer, actress, animal welfare advocate--has died after a bout of pneumonia. She was in otherwise in good health and had just celebrated her 97th birthday in early April. J! preppers should remember that she was born Doris Kappelhoff.
Her signature song, "Que Sera Sera", was from the Alfred Hitchcock film The Man Who Knew Too Much (and won the Best Original Song Oscar that year).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Six-time Emmy winner Tim Conway has passed away at the age of 85. Best known for his work on the 1970s sketch comedy The Carol Burnett Show, Conway also earned plaudits for guest appearances on the sitcoms Coach and 30 Rock. He was also the voice of Barnacle Boy in more than a dozen episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm Six-time Emmy winner Tim Conway has passed away at the age of 85. Best known for his work on the 1970s sketch comedy The Carol Burnett Show, Conway also earned plaudits for guest appearances on the sitcoms Coach and 30 Rock. He was also the voice of Barnacle Boy in more than a dozen episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants.
While I won't argue with "Best known" for The Carol Burnett Show, I do think McHale's Navy needs to make the first cut of career highlights.

Personal additions based on being the right age at the time are Disney pics:
The World's Greatest Athlete
The Apple Dumpling Gang
Gus
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm Six-time Emmy winner Tim Conway has passed away at the age of 85. Best known for his work on the 1970s sketch comedy The Carol Burnett Show, Conway also earned plaudits for guest appearances on the sitcoms Coach and 30 Rock. He was also the voice of Barnacle Boy in more than a dozen episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants.
i know him from scooby doo and the movies he was in with don knotts
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

And Dorf on Golf videos.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I M Pei, crossword clue and architect, died today at 102.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48303529

Notable works include the Kennedy Library, the Louvre pyramid, Bank of China in Hong Kong and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
He could easily be a full category.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:32 pm I M Pei, crossword clue and architect, died today at 102.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48303529

Notable works include the Kennedy Library, the Louvre pyramid, Bank of China in Hong Kong and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
He could easily be a full category.
Full category? No argument from the Archive:
Spoiler
#7274, aired 2016-04-07 I.M. PEI $400: The ground-level entrance to this museum is crowned by a steel-&-glass pyramid designed by I.M. Pei
#7274, aired 2016-04-07 I.M. PEI $800: I.M. Pei designed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and it's safe to say he didn't make a mistake by this lake
#7274, aired 2016-04-07 I.M. PEI $1200: Pei designed a pentagonal air traffic control tower for this government agency
#7274, aired 2016-04-07 I.M. PEI $1600: Boston is proud of its Pei-designed tower named for this revolutionary.
#7274, aired 2016-04-07 I.M. PEI $2000: Among Pei's crowning achievements is the Museum of Islamic Art in this country's capital, Doha

#2500, aired 1995-06-16 ARCHITECTURE $600: This Canton-born architect designed the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse
#2387, aired 1995-01-10 ARCHITECTURE $400: This Chinese-born American architect designed Beijing's Xiangshan Hotel
#2354, aired 1994-11-24 ARCHITECTURE $800: This Canton-born architect designed the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas
#2156, aired 1994-01-10 ARCHITECTURE $600: Chinese-American who designed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
#1959, aired 1993-02-25 ARCHITECTURE $1000: This Chinese-American designed the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had no idea he was that old.