Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7993, 2019-05-15

2019 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Matthew Bunch, a middle school civics and world history teacher from Miami, Florida
Dave Rowswell, a high school art teacher from Cheyenne, Wyoming
Conor Quinn, a high school world history teacher from Albany, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Two players, Sara and Francois, waiting in the wings, ready to come back and start competition tomorrow in the first half of the two-game finals in the Teachers Tournament, playing for $100,000. Matthew, Dave, Conor, good luck. Let's go to work. I keep saying "work", but it should be fun for the three of you. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RECENT POLITICS (5/5)
MORE THAN 1 MEANING (4/5)
FOOD STUFF (5/5)
GEOGRAPHIC SEVENS (4/5)
AS DESCRIBED IN THE PATENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TEACHERS IN SONG (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 10 R, 0 W
Conor: 9 R, 1 W
Dave: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Conor had $2,400, Dave had $200, and Matthew was at $3,800. Dave wagered $1,000.

AS DESCRIBED IN THE PATENT $1000: 1893: "Automatically engaging or disengaging an entire series of clasps by a single continuous movement"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matthew: $3,800
Conor: $2,400
Dave: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Matthew Bunch is from Miami, Florida. He is a world history teacher. You like to introduce current events into your classroom discussions, don't you?

Matthew: Sure. You know, I like to say a lot to my students that history doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes. There's a lot to learn from the past and apply it to current events. And they never have to worry about saying, "Why do we need to learn about this?" Because it's happening right now. There's your answer.

Alex: Okay, good for them.

Alex: Dave Roswell from Cheyenne, Wyoming. He's a high school art teacher who likes to do a creativity warm-up at the beginning of your class. Tell me about that.

Dave: Well, every day, students come in. I have to take attendance for 'em, so I have a warm-up they can do. It has to do with creativity, and generally, it's gonna be fun.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Conor Quinn is a high school world history teacher also. And your school just opened up recently, right?

Conor: Second year of it this year.

Alex: Second year. Is it exciting to be part of a new venture like that? A new school?

Conor: I think so, 'cause you kind of get to set the standard for what things are going to look like going forward.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MORE THAN 1 MEANING $800: It can man to grow or sprout like a plant, or to engage in passive activity like kicking back & watching TV
(Dave: What is to veg?)

GEOGRAPHIC SEVENS $400: Belgium, Norway & 5 other nations all border this arm of the Atlantic

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matthew: $5,200
Conor: $5,000
Dave: $4,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT BATTLES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WOMEN AUTHORS (0/2)
STUDYING FOR THE TEST (5/5)
ADD SOME CONSONANTS (4/5)
MATH, TEACHERS (1/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Conor: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Matthew: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Conor had $5,000, Dave had $3,600, and Matthew was at $5,200. Dave made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS $1600: In Bergman's "The Seventh Seal", a disillusioned knight plays a game of chess with this opponent

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Conor who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Conor had $7,800, Dave had $10,000, and Matthew was at $6,800. Conor wagered $3,500.

ANCIENT BATTLES $1200: Horses were terrified of these war beasts, which routed Roman cavalry at the 280 B.C. Battle of Heraclea

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS $1200: The 1989 action film "The Killer" was a thrill ride from this Hong Kong director
(Dave: Who is Lee?)

WOMEN AUTHORS $1200: Most of the known works of this ancient Greek poet are fragments; her 28-line "Ode to Aphrodite" is an exception

WOMEN AUTHORS $1600: How about those Gilbert sisters--memoirist Elizabeth & this author of kids' books like "Heaven is Paved with Oreos"

ADD SOME CONSONANTS $2000: Old MacDonald had this point in a planet's orbit when it's nearest to the Sun:
EIEIO

MATH, TEACHERS $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a coordinate system on the monitor.) To describe the position of a point in two dimensions, you can use the distance from an origin point & the angle from an axis, which are these paired coordinates with a chilly name

MATH, TEACHERS $1600: This type of conic section is an open curve with 2 branches

MATH, TEACHERS $1200: Math-minded cows might graze over this, the set of all the possible values that a function can take
(Conor: What is a field?)

MATH, TEACHERS $800: The equation A(B + C) = AB + AC shows that multiplication is this with respect to addition

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $15,200
Conor: $12,500
Matthew: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIAN COMPOSERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Dave: Wager $9,801 to cover Conor.
Conor: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Matthew, hoping that you give the correct response and Dave doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,701 to cover Matthew's doubled score, but no more than $7,100 if you want to top Dave on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,899 and win if both Dave and Matthew miss Final.
Matthew: You ought to try wagering between $2,901 and $3,800. This will top a $0 wager by Conor while still beating Dave and Conor on the Triple Stumper (should Dave wager to cover Conor's doubled score and Conor wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1913 piece by him was conceived of as the symphonic equivalent of a pagan ritual, to be titled "Great Sacrifice"

FINAL SCORES
Matthew: $9,600 - $300 = $9,300 (Who is Tchikovsky?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Conor: $12,500 + $6,701 = $19,201 (Who is Stravinsky?) (Finalist)
Dave: $15,200 - $9,801 = $5,399 (Who Rachmonov) (3rd place: $10,000)
(Alex: [After reading the clue] All right, Alexa. Dim the lights.)
(Alexa: Okay.)
(Alex: The premiere of the work caused a riot.)
(Alex: [To Conor] The Rite of Spring was the work.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $13,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Conor: $10,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Matthew: $9,600, 14 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Conor: 17/59 = .288
Dave: 17/60 = .283
Matthew: 14/58 = .241
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEOGRAPHIC SEVENS $1000: "Stan" comes from a word meaning place & this place is alphabetically last of the world's 7 "stan" countries
(Conor: What is Turkmenistan?)

FOOD STUFF $400: You don't need your oven to make this appetizer--a lime juice marinade does the cooking

ANCIENT BATTLES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a diagram of a battle on the monitor.) At the decisive 331 B.C. Battle of Gaugamela, Alexander the Great's phalanxes opened ranks to let these wheeled Persian weapons pass through, then wipe them out

STUDYING FOR THE TEST $800: Between 1951 & 1992 there were 928 nuclear explosive tests at the test site in this state
(Conor: What is New Mexico?)

CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS $400: "Fist of Fury" & "The Way of the Dragon" are 2 movies starring this late legend
(Alex: A minute--less, now.)

MATH, TEACHERS $400: It's the number of distinct digits that are used to represent numbers in a particular number system; you probably use 10
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a zipper
vegetate
the North Sea
the Grim Reaper, or Death
elephants
John Woo
Sappho
Catherine Murdock
perihelion
polar coordinates
a hyperbola
the range
distributive
Igor Stravinsky
Uzbekistan
ceviche
chariots
Nevada
Bruce Lee
the base
Last edited by Archivists on Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIAN COMPOSERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1913 piece by him was conceived of as the symphonic equivalent of a pagan ritual, to be titled “Great Sacrifice”

Conor Quinn: 12500+6701=19201 (Finalist)
Dave Rowswell: 15200-9801=5399
Matthew Bunch: 9600-300=9300

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Igor) Stravinsky (Dave – Rachmonov) (Matthew – Tchikovsky)

Daily Doubles
Dave: 200+1000
Dave: 3600+3600
Conor: 7800+3500

Coryats
Conor: 10200
Dave: 13200
Matthew: 9600

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Conor: 5000
Dave: 4800
Matthew: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The surprise stumper of the day was the ancient Greek poet clue that included “her” in it.

At DD1 Alex told Dave he could bet up to $1000 and Dave’s boss wanted him say all-in so it was 200+1000. If Dave had missed could he have made a case that he had intended only the $200 in front of him even though it was obvious he was going for what is known as the “house limit?”

At DD3 Conor did 7800+3500 to take the lead over Dave’s $10,000 and 6800 for Matthew. By the FJ! round Conor trailed by 2700 so by getting the sole solve he avoided the regret game to revisit his wager.

The FJ! clue was a laughing pen down as I had already written the correct response off the category. Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev were the other reasonable precalls and I would have been ready to make the switch if needed.

1913 was enough for me to know I was right with the rest of the clue giving blessed assurance to enjoy the music.

If Rachmaninoff had been the guy then Dave’s “Rachmonov” would not have cut it, causing the judges to neg it. Tchikovsky by Matthew would have been a thumbs up by the judges while social media would not have been as forgiving.

Stats in looking to the finals:
Spoiler
Sara:
16600+14000=15300 Coryat avg.
0/2 on FJ!s
1/4 on DDs
T1 (tied for 1st with Conor) + 1 for position entering the FJ! round

Francois:
26600+19200=22900 Coryat avg
1/2 on FJ!s
1/4 on DDs
L+1

Conor:
9600+10200=9900 Coryat avg.
2/2 on FJ!s
1/1 on DDs
T1 (tied with Sara) + 2
ACW

Post by ACW »

According to Fikkle Fame, John Woo was a triple stumper. All 3 contestants should thus be disqualified. How do you now know John Woo? :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm According to Fikkle Fame, John Woo was a triple stumper. All 3 contestants should thus be disqualified. How do you now know John Woo? :oops:
To give you the complete picture:

CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS $1200: The 1989 action film “The Killer” was a thrill ride from this Hong Kong director

This was the first selection of the DJ! round. Dave negged with, "Who is Lee?"

If you want to spring the trap door on Dave that's one thing. In defense of Conor and Matthew you want to be sure on $1200 and they could be gun-shy after the initial miss.

It can also be a little jarring to start a new round with a middle-of-the-board clue. J! players prove many times that movies are not always a strength. Is "The Killer" as well-known as some other John Woo pictures the players might know better?

The Archive offers three hits for "Hong Kong director":

#6038, aired 2010-12-08 CHINESE CINEMA $2000: Films like "The Killer" by this director helped establish the modern Hong Kong gangster film
#3161, aired 1998-05-04 HONG KONG CINEMA $400: This "Face/Off" director started the craze for Hong Kong gangster films with 1986's "A Better Tomorrow"
#3117, aired 1998-03-03 WORLD CINEMA $200: Hong Kong director John Woo's 1993 U.S. debut "Hard Target" starred this Belgian kickboxer

To me today's clue being a stumper was one of those "whatever" shrugs that allow viewers to snap up the trash. It will be interesting to see if Lucario gets it as sometimes the "fun stuff" gets by him.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I would have written down Shosta Stravinsky. He was too late.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

theFJguy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am Correct response: (Igor) Stravinsky (Dave – Rachmonov) (Matthew – Tchikovsky)
It's a good thing the correct response WASN'T Rachmaninov! That would've been even more of a heart-breaker of a loss for Dave. But he seems like a happy guy, so I bet he'd get over it a lot easier than I would.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 pm
ACW wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm According to Fikkle Fame, John Woo was a triple stumper. All 3 contestants should thus be disqualified. How do you now know John Woo? :oops:

CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS $1200: The 1989 action film “The Killer” was a thrill ride from this Hong Kong director

If you want to spring the trap door on Dave that's one thing. In defense of Conor and Matthew you want to be sure on $1200 and they could be gun-shy after the initial miss.

It can also be a little jarring to start a new round with a middle-of-the-board clue. J! players prove many times that movies are not always a strength. Is "The Killer" as well-known as some other John Woo pictures the players might know better?

#6038, aired 2010-12-08 CHINESE CINEMA $2000: Films like "The Killer" by this director helped establish the modern Hong Kong gangster film
#3161, aired 1998-05-04 HONG KONG CINEMA $400: This "Face/Off" director started the craze for Hong Kong gangster films with 1986's "A Better Tomorrow"
#3117, aired 1998-03-03 WORLD CINEMA $200: Hong Kong director John Woo's 1993 U.S. debut "Hard Target" starred this Belgian kickboxer

To me today's clue being a stumper was one of those "whatever" shrugs that allow viewers to snap up the trash. It will be interesting to see if Lucario gets it as sometimes the "fun stuff" gets by him.
Ah, I stand partially corrected. I still spring the trap door on Dave though.

Also, I know all three of the above: Who is John Woo, who is John Woo, and who is Jean-Claude Van-Damne.

Who is "Lee"?
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

My wife came up with "bullion" in place of 'stock'.
You can invest in (gold) bullion, right?
Perhaps the spellings are different. I'm watching it now and trying to check it out at the same time.

bob
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trying to figure out how the middle dude was able to get 1000 for the daily double when he had 200...he said all in...all in means what you have in front of you
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

went 0 fer in the recent politics clue and couldn't be happier about it...know nothing about politics and don't want to know or be aware of them
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got final jeopardy correct because i can name 2 russian composers...didn't think it would be tchaikovsky as he is too basic for a final jeopardy answer....so i went with the only other one i could name and got it right...weeeeeeeeeee
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Since the Reddit takedown, where may I find today's episode? We're having some electrical issues in the house and one of them is in the living room.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats Conor - should be an interesting finals.
CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:31 pm got final jeopardy correct because i can name 2 russian composers...didn't think it would be tchaikovsky as he is too basic for a final jeopardy answer....so i went with the only other one i could name and got it right...weeeeeeeeeee
No Rachmaninoff!? I don't blame you though, composers/classical was once a weakness of mine as well.

One of my favorite classical pieces is his Prelude in C Sharp Minor.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 pm Since the Reddit takedown, where may I find today's episode? We're having some electrical issues in the house and one of them is in the living room.
My best advice would be wait a day or so until the game gets in the Archive - they have been going up very quickly lately.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm Congrats Conor - should be an interesting finals.
CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:31 pm got final jeopardy correct because i can name 2 russian composers...didn't think it would be tchaikovsky as he is too basic for a final jeopardy answer....so i went with the only other one i could name and got it right...weeeeeeeeeee
No Rachmaninoff!? I don't blame you though, composers/classical was once a weakness of mine as well.

One of my favorite classical pieces is his Prelude in C Sharp Minor.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 pm Since the Reddit takedown, where may I find today's episode? We're having some electrical issues in the house and one of them is in the living room.
never heard of that dude until now...will put him into my russian composer memory box

My best advice would be wait a day or so until the game gets in the Archive - they have been going up very quickly lately.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Patrick Quinn won the Teachers Tournament in 2012. Will Conor Quinn win it seven years later? The only other same-surname pair to win the same tournament (that I can think of) are Raynell and Leonard Cooper.
Now, to the game: it was very good right up until the math category. :x
Hoping for a third lap
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Dave could well have been thinking of Ang Lee, who's from Taiwan and not known for thrill rides but who did direct Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the only martial arts film a lot of people have ever seen. And he's been a force in US cinema more recently than John Woo, who hasn't made an American picture in 15 years...so Lee might come to mind easier.
davey

Post by davey »

I thought the FJ clue was oddly worded, saying the work was "to be titled" and giving an unfamiliar title...but it was close enough to the real one, and with the date WECIB? But I can see how some might have been thrown...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Veg" for "vegetate" should've been a BMS.

I ran More Than One Meaning and Add a Consonant, with lach Trash on "vegetate" and "perihelion".

Got all but "literacy" in Test and strangely, all but Van Halen at $200 in the Teachers in Song category. I've heard "Hot for Teacher" but never matched it to an artist, and don't think I could otherwise name any Van Halen songs.

Ancient Battles, Recent Politics, and Classic Foreign Films had "0/5 for Hammer" written all over them.

No guess on FJ!
bkellysky wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm My wife came up with "bullion" in place of 'stock'.
You can invest in (gold) bullion, right?
Perhaps the spellings are different. I'm watching it now and trying to check it out at the same time.

bob
The pronunciation is different too. Gold is bullion (BUHL-yun). Soup/stock is bouillon (BOOL-yahn).