Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7999, 2019-05-23

James Holzhauer game 26.

CONTESTANTS
Nate Scheffey, a technology consultant from New York, New York
Laura Schulman, a public defender from Seattle, Washington
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 25-day cash winnings total $1,939,027)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone. About a month and a half ago, the one-day record for winnings in an episode of Jeopardy! was $77,000. That record had stood for many, many years. Our current champion, James, is averaging more than $77,000 per show every day. Scary stuff. Laura, Nate, welcome. Good luck. Let's go to work, players. And now let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
NUMERIC PHRASES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LOS ANGELES IN THE MOVIES (5/5)
THE 2018 IG NOBEL PRIZES (4/4)
THE COMMON FACTOR (5/5)
NEWSPEAK (4/5) (Alex: And hearkening back to the novel 1984...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nate: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
James: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Laura: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nate found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. James had $5,400, Laura had $600, and Nate was at $3,400. Nate made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

NUMERIC PHRASES $800: Owing to the traditional location of a grave, this term means to get rid of something, especially at sea

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nate: $6,800
James: $5,400
Laura: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nate Scheffey is a technology consultant from New York. Now, when people get the call to be on Jeopardy!, they're usually excited. Your wife got excited, but not for the usual reasons, I hear.

Nate: Yeah, I got the call, and I told her, and she said, "Oh my god, maybe I can see a taping of Dr. Phil."

[Laughter]

Alex: Laura Schulman, public defender from Seattle. Had to move a trial date in order to appear with us here today.

Laura: I did. Judge--Judge Hull happened to know where I was gonna be, but he decided to have some fun with it. And when I asked to move it, he said, "Where you gonna be?" "Uh, L.A." "What are you gonna be doing in L.A.?" And I said--I didn't have a chance to answer, and he answered for me, and everybody clapped. So it was--it went well.

Alex: He's a fan of the show, I hope.

Laura: I think he is.

Alex: All right. Good.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. We have mentioned on a few occasions the comparisons between your accomplishments and Ken Jennings. You happened to meet Ken Jennings at a competition.

James: Yeah. He was doing a little trivia competition at a music festival called Bumpershoot in Seattle. And I was one of three people--one of three people that got called up on stage. And I lost horribly in this competition. But third place was the same book that first place was, so.

Alex: Okay, that sounds good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWSPEAK $600: Taking place every day after morning wake-up, "physical jerks" were these & were mandatory

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nate: $10,200
James: $6,600
Laura: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LESSER-KNOWN BROTHERS (5/5)
SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSICALS BASED ON LITERATURE (4/5)
MOUNTAINS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHANGE YOUR M*I*N*D* (4/5) (Alex: One letter in that word,"mind", needs to be changed to come up with a correct response in each of the clues.)
NEWS SPEAK (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Nate: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Laura: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nate snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. James had $6,600, Laura had $1,200, and Nate was at $13,400. Nate wagered $6,000.

SCIENCE $2000: Frederic Clements & Victor Shelford coined this 5-letter word for a zone of life, such as desert or deciduous forest

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 6th clue. James had $8,200, Laura had $1,200, and Nate was at $19,400. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,200.

MOUNTAINS $1600: All of Romania's mountains are part of this 900-mile-long range

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHANGE YOUR M*I*N*D* $2000: To attach the part you shouldn't judge a book by

MUSICALS BASED ON LITERATURE $1200: Characters from "War and Peace" populate "Natasha", him "and the Great Comet of 1812"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $31,200
Nate: $25,800
Laura: $1,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JAZZ CLASSICS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
James: Wager $20,401 to cover Nate, but no more than $28,799 so as not to fall behind Laura's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $18,001.
Nate: Since you're within 4/5ths of James's score, you should wager between $10,801 (venusian) and $15,000 (martian), beating James's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Laura: Too bad for you, Laura, your score is less than James's score minus Nate's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In one account, this song began as directions written out for composer Billy Strayhorn to Duke Ellington's home in Harlem

FINAL SCORES
Laura: $1,200 - $0 = $1,200 (What is Take 5?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nate: $25,800 + $10,000 = $35,800 (What is Take the A Train?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $31,200 + $20,908 = $52,108 (What is Take the A Train?) (26-day champion: $1,991,135)
(Alex: [To Nate] Duke Ellington's signature tune.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $24,600, 26 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Nate: $19,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Laura: $1,200, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $45,000

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 27/59 = .458
Nate: 25/60 = .417
Laura: 6/58 = .103
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEWSPEAK $1000: To "rectify" was the euphemism used by this ministry for its deliberate altering of history
(Nate: What is the Ministry of Information?)

LOS ANGELES IN THE MOVIES $600: (L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti gives the clue.) The 6th Street Bridge, which we're rebuilding, was featured in many films, including "Terminator 2" & this 1950s-set film in which John Travolta had a big racing scene

LOS ANGELES IN THE MOVIES $400: Interiors of Grant High School (OMG, totally in the Valley!) were used in this film with Alicia Silverstone as Cher
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

THE 2018 IG NOBEL PRIZES $400: The Anthropology award went to a report on "cross-species imitation" between these apes & humans at zoos
(James: What are gorillas?)

NUMERIC PHRASES $200: The gentleman seen here is dressed to these

AMERICAN HISTORY $200: This fort that successfully defended Baltimore in 1814 was built in the shape of a 5-pointed star
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CHANGE YOUR M*I*N*D* $1200: This carnivore of the weasel family will feed on frogs, fish & occasionally birds

SCIENCE $1600: The last letter of the Greek alphabet represents this unit of electrical resistance
(Laura: What is omega?)

MOUNTAINS $2000: This "Dome" is the highest peak in the Great Smoky Mountains & in Tennessee
(Laura: What is Teapot Dome?)

LESSER-KNOWN BROTHERS $800: Marie hadn't joined the clan yet when physicist brothers Jacques & Pierre were in a photo of this family

CORRECT RESPONSES
deep-six
exercise
a biome
the Carpathian
bind
Pierre
"Take The A-Train"
the Ministry of Truth
Grease
Clueless
chimpanzees
the nines
McHenry
a mink
an ohm
Klingmans Dome
Curie
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JAZZ CLASSICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In one account, this song began as directions written out for composer Billy Strayhorn to Duke Ellington’s home in Harlem

James Holzhauer: 31200+20908=52108 (26x = $1,991,135)
Laura Schulman: 1200-0=1200
Nate Scheffey: 25800+10000=35800

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Take the ‘A’ Train” (Laura – Take 5)

Daily Doubles
Nate: 3400+3400
Nate: 13400+6000
James: 8200+8200

Coryats
James: 24600
Laura: 1200
Nate: 19200

Combined: 45,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 6600
Laura: 1600
Nate: 10200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At some point Ken must have written his name vertically since it’s only three letters. James doing it with 5 letters looked unusual and harder to read.

It’s only a couple of minutes to let chat time play. The payoff was there with Nate’s story about getting the call and his wife happy that she would be able to see Dr. Phil.

An article about Laura getting on J!: https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/20 ... 886026002/

Nate trailed James by 5400 for the FJ! round. If only Nate had a way to make up that deficit. Oh wait, there is DD2 at clue 4.

James: 6600
Laura: 1200
Nate: 13400

Nate added 6000 giving him a 12800 lead with 26 clues and a DD remaining. Nate did the right thing to switch to a new category, but went to LESSER-KNOWN BROTHERS. No DD. James collected the $1600 and went to the better choice of MOUNTAINS. 8200 doubled and new ball game suddenly.

If Nate had farmed DD2 and missed he would have trailed by 6600 with 26 clues left and a DD remaining. That was the play then and it’s certainly easy to see it was the play with hindsight.

We will have to see how many contestants might want to put their hands on Nate after watching today’s game.

The FJ! category had me expecting Laura's incorrect guess. The clue had me matching the gentlemen for a little jazz Pavlov work to match Ellington and Harlem directions.

Good game and the path was there for James to be defeated and outplayed with no errors by the champ. Whenever the time comes, put James in a normal TOC. Special events can wait.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I can hear the wagering vikings riding in to castigate Adam for not going all in on DD2, but not doing so on a $2000 Science clue is more than understandable by my book.

I'm 4/4 on Final this week. I expect to miss a 90% one tomorrow.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

He bleeds!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

hanzz wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pmHe bleeds!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If we are playing movie comparisons I was thinking this one:

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

But I thought this was the new normal:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Now THIS was a game. Nate really made it a tough fight.

"Pretty Woman" is a film?!

0/5 in Numeric Phrases.

No guess on FJ! "Take the A Train" is in my brain space, but it just wasn't there in 30 seconds. I think "Take Five" was blocking the mental path.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

a) I'm not talking to you, Mark Barrett. This could and should have been a really tense match with an uncertain outcome.

b) Nate. Buddy. You've watched this guy play at least three games. You've heard the statistic about his AVERAGE being higher than the previous highest score ever. And you still left $7400 on the table when you uncovered that DD. You lost the game right there. You had an opportunity to do what NO ONE has done before: have the LEAD going into FJ against James Holzhauer. AND YOU GOT FJ RIGHT!!!! You could and should and would have won EVEN WITH JAMES GETTING FJ RIGHT TOO. I'd say I'm not speaking to you, either; but I bet you're not speaking to yourself right now. Sigh. Woulda coulda shoulda, buddy. I'm sorry you didn't have it in you.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 pm a) I'm not talking to you, Mark Barrett. This could and should have been a really tense match with an uncertain outcome.

b) Nate. Buddy. You've watched this guy play at least three games. You've heard the statistic about his AVERAGE being higher than the previous highest score ever. And you still left $7400 on the table when you uncovered that DD. You lost the game right there. You had an opportunity to do what NO ONE has done before: have the LEAD going into FJ against James Holzhauer. AND YOU GOT FJ RIGHT!!!! You could and should and would have won EVEN WITH JAMES GETTING FJ RIGHT TOO. I'd say I'm not speaking to you, either; but I bet you're not speaking to yourself right now. Sigh. Woulda coulda shoulda, buddy. I'm sorry you didn't have it in you.
Well said. He beats James if he wagers as he must: Bet. It. All.

Secondary factor of not category selecting optimally as mentioned above (geography category more likely).

1. Load pistol
2. Aim downward
3. Shoot foot.
Ouch!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Finally some excitement! The formula for beating James: hunt the DDs, don't let him outbuzz you on 40+ clues, enter FJ with the lead. Unfortunately, that plan has to be executed to perfection, one slip and it's all over. James was on the ropes, with Nate dominating on the buzzer, but he found his DD and his buzzer mojo, and it was back into the lead for an easy FJ. Maybe Nate should've gone TDD? He probably didn't want to risk it, but against James it might be the only safe play for challengers.

What was that, 19 FJs in a row for James? 20?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

So. To beat James, you have to do everything right.

Nate played a great game and did ALMOST everything right. But almost is not enough.

The 6000 wager is very reasonable in a "normal" game. You're doing well in every aspect of the game - against most people, being 13k+ ahead is a very good place to be, and you are ensuring you don't fall behind.

One small problem: James is not most people.

Against a beast like that, you must go all in unless it is calculably unnecessary.

A footnote to this post will be in the next one.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 am I can hear the wagering vikings riding in to castigate Adam for not going all in on DD2, but not doing so on a $2000 Science clue is more than understandable by my book.
His name is Nate. And the category and row make no difference. You go to war against James with the DD you have, not the DD you wish you'd have.

If you really hate the category and think you'd rather put your hopes in the remaining clues and in finding the remaining DD, wager $5. (Against James, my rule of thumb that any amount up to $100 is equivalent does not apply.)

(In any case, Nate seemed strong and confident in his knowledge of science.)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Clingman's Dome is an astounding get. If I hadn't been to the top of it this past weekend I would never have gotten it. (There is parking about a half-mile from the top.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

All this said, as an eager theorist and practitioner of strategy, I can tell you first-hand how difficult it is to do everything right. In the game I lost, I found the first DJ DD, went all in, and tied for the lead. Then I switched to another category, but forgot to skip to the middle row, thus failing to follow through with my DD hunting plan. (Turns out, the DD was in the 1600 row of that category, so the impact of my mistake is unknowable.) You have to have a plan, stick to it, and remember to stick to it. All while answering questions.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

FANTASTIC game.

DJ, bottom-row DD is a real tough spot to go all-in on, and I absolutely understand the hesitancy to do so. Just goes to show against a dominant opponent, gotta keep your foot all the way on the gas at all times. On the other hand, if James misses DD3 (or if Nate/Laura find it, I guess) we probably are not having this conversation. I do feel for Nate, though, he's a champ against practically anyone else. He made a fan out of me.

Judges table: Probably a long shot, but any chance "eighty-six" gets accepted on DD1? I know the clue mentioned something to do with the sea so likely not, but I thought eighty-six could refer to throwing something away too. Thought it was worth an inquiry, thanks in advance.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

gnash wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:57 pm So. To beat James, you have to do everything right.

Nate played a great game and did ALMOST everything right. But almost is not enough.

The 6000 wager is very reasonable in a "normal" game. You're doing well in every aspect of the game - against most people, being 13k+ ahead is a very good place to be, and you are ensuring you don't fall behind.

One small problem: James is not most people.

Against a beast like that, you must go all in unless it is calculably unnecessary.

A footnote to this post will be in the next one.
Absolutely, have to do it. A normal game wager to hold lead was 6k but all the chips is the way to go. Too late now. the 7k would have been enough to take a higher total going into the final, correct?

Was a joy, I would love to commend castigate if I ever see him in NYC. Sad to say, the also-ran's don't get a second chance.

The board seems easy as I do not think I am getting better at trivia.