Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tencent
Contributor

Re: Thursday, May 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Tencent »

It is wild to see so many smart people on Jeopardy play the game poorly.
James has made it crystal clear how to play, and has proven there is very little margin of error playing him.
It is interesting to watch.
4 time pool swimmer
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 am I can hear the wagering vikings riding in to castigate Adam for not going all in on DD2, but not doing so on a $2000 Science clue is more than understandable by my book.
Nope. They've seen what James is capable of. The ONLY correct wager on a DD is all-in.

James should have lost today.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:19 pm Absolutely, have to do it. A normal game wager to hold lead was 6k but all the chips is the way to go. Too late now. the 7k would have been enough to take a higher total going into the final, correct?
Correct. Nate wagered $6000 of his available $13400 on DD2. The extra $7400 would have put him $2000 ahead of James going into FJ. (And there would have been nothing James could've done about it. When James found DD3 he went all in. There was nothing left on the table to add.) So Nate could've held back up to $1999 on DD2 and still had enough to beat James AT HIS OWN GAME without needing James to slip up at any point. He didn't need James to miss the Carpathian mountains. (I certainly did. I waffled between Caucasus and Urals without liking either.) He didn't even need James to make one of his funny date-reference wagers that wins him a little less than he could have made. He just needed to play the game as though he was up against James Holzhauer and not one of the thousands of other contestants that he could have easily beaten.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Never was "No guts, no glory" better demonstrated than on tonight's show. :cry:
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

teapot37 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 pm Clingman's Dome is an astounding get. If I hadn't been to the top of it this past weekend I would never have gotten it. (There is parking about a half-mile from the top.)
Amusing because your username was Laura's incorrect response.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I suppose that a sports analogy to this game would be the 2003 Boston Red Sox. Their manager held back from taking out Pedro Martinez when he should have and they lost. They came back in 2004 with a manager who was willing to pull every trigger and won. Unfortunately for Nate he doesn't have next year. Contestants have just one game against James to get everything right.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
I"ronhorse" wrote: I can hear the wagering vikings riding in to castigate Adam for not going all in on DD2, but not doing so on a $2000 Science clue is more than understandable by my book.
Nope. They've seen what James is capable of. The ONLY correct wager on a DD is all-in.

James should have lost today.
opusthepenguin wrote:Nate wagered $6000 of his available $13400 on DD2. The extra $7400 would have put him $2000 ahead of James going into FJ. (And there would have been nothing James could've done about it. When James found DD3 he went all in. There was nothing left on the table to add.) So Nate could've held back up to $1999 on DD2 and still had enough to beat James
I'm glad at least one other person besides me recognizes the difference between 90% and 100% on a DD isn't always a gamebreaker.
Nate probably thought he was making a bold move, yet he only offered up about 40% of his total.
I still don't think these incoming players have enough information about James (even after viewing a few games) to grasp what they absolutely need to do. Perhaps James' quirky DD bets are partially a distraction from the fact that he's betting really, really big on most of them.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

threearruda wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:16 pm FANTASTIC game.

Judges table: Probably a long shot, but any chance "eighty-six" gets accepted on DD1? I know the clue mentioned something to do with the sea so likely not, but I thought eighty-six could refer to throwing something away too. Thought it was worth an inquiry, thanks in advance.
Not a chance. 86 is a restaurant term and it’s meaning and origins are well known. Totally unrelated.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 pm Clingman's Dome is an astounding get. If I hadn't been to the top of it this past weekend I would never have gotten it. (There is parking about a half-mile from the top.)
I have the postcard from my trip there! Here's what happened. James missed Half Dome a few games back. Said El Capitan. After the run of shows, he went to the card catalog in the Vegas children's library and took out all the books on domes he could find.

Hard to see Nate miss Natasha, Pierre... when ads for that show were all over NYC a few years ago.

No one could figure out bind??
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I consider myself fortunate that none of my J! failures could have been changed to successes solely by altering a wager (though I came quite close in the ToC final—I lost $3,800 in the first game's FJ and was $4,000 short of a lock by FJ of the second). I'm almost sick on Nate's behalf, and hope he's proud of what he managed to accomplish (and could have accomplished) in this game.
brick

Post by brick »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 pm
Hard to see Nate miss Natasha, Pierre... when ads for that show were all over NYC a few years ago.
I’m embarrassed to admit I couldn’t come up with Pierre, and I saw the show! (Which was amazing and really should have had a longer run.) The title was so cumbersome most people just called it “Comet of 1812”.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought James was terribly bold on his DD. If he'd missed it, he would have been finished right there. No deposit, no refill.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Laura was in an interesting position here, potentially being a spoiler to Nate if she stole enough answers.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:No one could figure out bind??
I knee jerked 'what is cover'. Would have never made the connection to binder in the alloted buzz-in time.

So was this the first game James wagered (FJ) more than he could safely afford?
If he had no desire to beat Ken Jennings' record streak, a shortagey wager of 9601 would have been a reasonable gamble. As long as Nate knows enough not to fall below $10,800 on a miss, and wagers above a zero bet from James, James still wins in a R_R or W_W.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 pm I thought James was terribly bold on his DD. If he'd missed it, he would have been finished right there. No deposit, no refill.
Yeah, a pretty stunning display of hubris. What does he think he is, 57/61 on daily doubles or something? What a rube!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 pm I thought James was terribly bold on his DD. If he'd missed it, he would have been finished right there. No deposit, no refill.
Yeah, a pretty stunning display of hubris. What does he think he is, 57/61 on daily doubles or something? What a rube!
And even if you take out the 16400 he got from that DD, he still would have kept it from being a lock game.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
floridagator wrote: I thought James was terribly bold on his DD. If he'd missed it, he would have been finished right there. No deposit, no refill.
And even if you take out the 16400 he got from that DD, he still would have kept it from being a lock game.
Not to mention the solace he would get from $1.8 million already won.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 pm Now THIS was a game. Nate really made it a tough fight.

"Pretty Woman" is a film?!

0/5 in Numeric Phrases.

No guess on FJ! "Take the A Train" is in my brain space, but it just wasn't there in 30 seconds. I think "Take Five" was blocking the mental path.
GTFO
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 am
jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 pm
I don't think you understand. Usually when James goes TDD, his opponents are barely in contention (e.g., at 2400 and 1800). And he can easily recover from going to 0 then. But at his TDD tonight, he would not have been able to come back.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'll go on record as saying Nate's DD bet was just about right. He was dominating on the buzzer and a nice built up lead from SJ. A potentially hard (it was very hard IMHO) 2K question. If he misses it, he still has a pathway to reach FJ with a lead. 50/50 odds that someone else finds the DD3, and his gameplay was good for additional house edge. James plays for the edge, it just looks like he's a cowboy.

All this hindsight talk about money on the table and what-if's does not describe the real time gameplay optimization. I think two pathways is better than none. It was like watching a Chiefs game to see Nate giving up big chunks of yardage but at least it wasn't because he was resting. Somehow James found his buzzer mojo, and there was a wheelhouse geography category for the picking. Speaking of the buzzer, the CCs must be giving the fresh meat some serious practice help because they are coming out strong. Then, they fade or James' revives.

If the player's roles were reversed at DD2, I don't see James pushing the stack on that one. He might have gone for his cute 9812, but I think he'd keep the lead within $4K on a miss. He doesn't gamble, he manages risk and reward.

I got FJ, and thought it might be a weak category that isn't that easy to study up on. I happen to be a big band era fan - I fled the disco revolution for nursing home music back in the '80's. Andrews Sisters, Glenn Miller, and Bing - bring it on and begin the beguine!

Thank you Nate, for the hope. Another picture to project onto the dome :( .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.