Season 1 info

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dell3234
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Season 1 info

Post by dell3234 »

Attention archivists, I found out that, the first season of jeopardy had 260 episodes instead of 230.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Season 1 info

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Did you find that out by looking at the Archive, and noticing that the Season 2 premiere was #261?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler
Just so the record is totally clear here, Season 1 had 195 original shows followed by 13 weeks of repeats from 1985-06-10 to 1985-09-06 which were given new episode numbers since some stations picked up Jeopardy! mainly in January 1985. Incidentally, in Los Angeles, Jeopardy! premiered a week into its run on Sept. 17, which is why a number of sources misreport the premiere date as being a week later than it actually was. Season 2 likewise had a 195-show schedule with 13 weeks of reruns. Summer 1986 hiatus highlights included Chuck Forrest's run (with a few tie games leading into it), replay of the 1985 ToC, and Lionel Goldbart's original run (minus the fifth game, which was Barbara Lowe's first game). Season 3 started on 1986-09-08 with show #456 and was the first season of the now-normal 230-game schedule. It was followed by 6 weeks of tournament reruns.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I agree. Only a handful of stations picked up Jeopardy at it's premiere date. My station back then was KMST-TV CBS in Salinas/Monterey (now KION).
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Attention archivists, I found out that Greg Hopkins won the very first game and lost his second in a three-way $0 tie.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

kablamfan11 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 pmOnly a handful of stations picked up Jeopardy at it's premiere date.
This is incorrect -- it was available in a definite majority of markets.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

trainman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 am
kablamfan11 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 pmOnly a handful of stations picked up Jeopardy at it's premiere date.
This is incorrect -- it was available in a definite majority of markets.
Oh I get it. Okay, thanks for correcting me.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Does anyone know if I could find out when J! started airing on WHIO? I want to know whether or not I was actually watching Jerry Frankel's original run from my crib when I was approximately two weeks old.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 am Does anyone know if I could find out when J! started airing on WHIO? I want to know whether or not I was actually watching Jerry Frankel's original run from my crib when I was approximately two weeks old.
I don't know if this search will show up for you the same way it does for me, but per newspapers.com, it sure looks like Dayton, Ohio was carrying it from the very beginning.

https://daytondailynews.newspapers.com/ ... pardy+1984

I really kind of want to read that editorial on the top of the search results, "Slicked-up 'Jeopardy' a mere shadow..."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 am I really kind of want to read that editorial on the top of the search results, "Slicked-up 'Jeopardy' a mere shadow..."
It was a Knight-Ridder syndicated review that ran in a bunch of papers -- at least seven that are on newspapers.com. This appears to be the original version, which ran in the Detroit Free Press on September 12. (Don't know why it took two weeks to get to Dayton.)

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Please cancel my subscription.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

trainman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 am I really kind of want to read that editorial on the top of the search results, "Slicked-up 'Jeopardy' a mere shadow..."
It was a Knight-Ridder syndicated review that ran in a bunch of papers -- at least seven that are on newspapers.com. This appears to be the original version, which ran in the Detroit Free Press on September 12. (Don't know why it took two weeks to get to Dayton.)

The article is a lie. Jeopardy! is the most cerebral and challenging game show in The United States today.

But I could not stop laughing at the "Brainless, shrieking Bozos" comment. :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I confess that I actually felt kind of the same way when I first saw the rebooted Jeopardy in the first game when it originally aired. If you are used to something familiar for years that you liked and see something different, it's natural to show an initial dislike. I believe that it's also true that the Trebek version of Jeopardy had more pop culture topics than the Fleming version, which was more like College Bowl of that era. The Fleming Jeopardy was very serious, no frills and needed to be changed to be successful in the 1980s (or else it would not have been cancelled in the 1970s).

Regarding the contestants back then at the beginning of the Trebek run, they almost all were from the Los Angeles area. They answered an ad in the paper, came in and got on practically immediately if they passed the contestant test. Paul Boymel, one of the first great five time champions (who I met a couple of decades later because he lived near me and was involved in community theater) told me that he got on the show when he stopped by on a trip to LA, took the test, passed and was put on the show in the same trip. They did not do nationwide contestant searches in the first season, possibly because they weren't sure if the show would catch on.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:31 am Is this the author of that review?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael ... ournalist)
He seems too well-adjusted.
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:32 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:31 am Is this the author of that review?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael ... ournalist)
He seems too well-adjusted.
Mike Duffy remained the Detroit Free Press's TV columnist (and apparently, Roger Ebert look-alike) until he retired in 2007.
He even wrote his own version of the old Jeopardy! try-out story in 1998-

'JEOPARDY' FOR $500, ALEX WHAT ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE IN DETROIT TRYING OUT FOR?
Detroit Free Press

JUNE 26, 1998 Friday METRO FINAL EDITION

Copyright 1998 Detroit Free Press All Rights Reserved

Section: FEATURES; Pg. 1C

Length: 402 words

Byline: MIKE DUFFY Free Press TV writer

Body
The spirit of Alex Trebek was definitely in the room.

In fact, during "Jeopardy" tests taken by game show wanna-bes Thursday inside a Westin Hotel ballroom at the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit, Trebek was on videotape, asking questions in his soothingly familiar TV voice.

That didn't necessarily make everyone a winner.

"My brain went dead. I missed about four questions I absolutely knew the answers to. I knew Dukakis was the governor of Massachusetts before he ran for president, but I blanked out," said an amused, exasperated Kathleen Tracy, a Ford Motor Co. employee from Farmington Hills who didn't make the cut.

Approximately 10,000 fans of the quiz show on which you must put your answer in the form of a question applied with postcards or on-line for the chance to participate.

The 500 invited to take a 50-question written test Thursday and today in Detroit were selected at random. If you don't have an invitation, don't show for today's session, producers said.

Some people heard about the tryouts from friends and just showed up Thursday.

"My girlfriend called me at 7:30 this morning. So I came over here, had two cups of coffee, got wired and tried to be modestly brilliant," said Victor Walbridge of Hamtramck, a ponytailed musician who works in an embroidery shop.

Modestly brilliant was good enough.

Walbridge was one of 15 people who passed the written test and then participated in brief mock versions of the game, complete with hand buzzers.

Those who made the cut aren't guaranteed an appearance on "Jeopardy." They go into a pool of possible contestants for the game show's 1998-99 season. Players are chosen for the best mix of vocations and locations around the country.

During the mock games, there was encouragement to be lively.

"We love enthusiasm down here," exhorted Susanne Thurber, the head contestant coordinator.

Christie Ross of Chesterfield Township had her name submitted by "my 12-year-old son, the computer nerd," she joked.

"He told me, 'Mom, you're smart. You ought to try out for this. You'll win."'

Ross, waiting to take the test, wasn't quite as positive as her son about her "Jeopardy" smarts.

"I'm good on current events. Anything except chemistry and opera," said Ross. "Or too much classic literature and I get lost. Ask me Tom Clancy's latest and I'll know that."

Best-sellers for $100, Alex. Pretty please?
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I am kind of taken aback by such an over-the-top negative review after just one episode. But I guess there was proto-clickbait even in the days before literal clicks. By the 1998 article it seems all forgotten. (Although it is funny that the final comment in the 1998 article is about Tom Clancy vs. classic literature, and Duffy does seem a bit sarcastic about the prospective contestant's preference for Clancy.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:30 am I am kind of taken aback by such an over-the-top negative review after just one episode. But I guess there was proto-clickbait even in the days before literal clicks. By the 1998 article it seems all forgotten. (Although it is funny that the final comment in the 1998 article is about Tom Clancy vs. classic literature, and Duffy does seem a bit sarcastic about the prospective contestant's preference for Clancy.)
I bet his review would have really been interesting if he had written it after watching the second episode.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 am Does anyone know if I could find out when J! started airing on WHIO? I want to know whether or not I was actually watching Jerry Frankel's original run from my crib when I was approximately two weeks old.
I don't know if this search will show up for you the same way it does for me, but per newspapers.com, it sure looks like Dayton, Ohio was carrying it from the very beginning.

https://daytondailynews.newspapers.com/ ... pardy+1984

I really kind of want to read that editorial on the top of the search results, "Slicked-up 'Jeopardy' a mere shadow..."
Thank you, Myron, I was not aware of that archive site before. That's really awesome.

As an aside, my mom recently gave me a whole bunch of stuff that she had kept from various things I had done growing up. One of the things mentioned that people associated with the uranium enrichment facility in Waverly came to my elementary school to do a science demonstration, but it doesn't mention any of the participants by name, so I don't know whether or not I have actually met Greg Hopkins in person. The earliest J! contestant by airdate I know I've met in person was Dan Fuller, the longtime advisor of the Kent State College Bowl team, who was on episode 11.