Thursday, May 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONAL ANTHEMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its anthem was adopted in 1947 to replace one by Joseph Haydn that had been tainted by associated with Nazis

James Holzhauer: 41612+17000=58612 (31x = $2,382,583)
Megan Browndorf: 12200-4601=7599
Rob Wolf: 8400-8399=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Austria (Megan – Ger) (Rob – Belgium)

Daily Doubles
James: 4000+4000
James: 16800+9812
James: 31412+5000

Coryats
James: 26000
Megan: 12200
Rob: 8400

Combined: 46,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 14800
Megan: 1400
Rob: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

James [after Megan's story at chat time]: Can we skip me? I'm not topping that. [Laughter]
Alex: All right, moving on. [Laughter]

Both challengers made picks in the category that had already revealed DD2. :roll:

For the FJ! clue my mind was not working. I rejected Hungary and let's just say I guessed a country in Asia. As Alex said, "Moving on." :oops:

James would need to break his single-day record to move past Ken Jennings's and his regular win total.

That was strange to see James a little cautious on DD3 in not trusting the category nor the ease of an $800 level box. What does the clue turn out to be? The month for MLK's birth. $5000 is $5000 though with hindsight it easily could have been more. It does not matter unless James wins tomorrow big (though not big enough) and then loses on Monday.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I confused Haydn with Chopin and went with Poland. In retrospect, "1947" should have eliminated that because one would think Poland would not have waited two years to revert back from a Nazi-associated anthem.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

According to Megan, who's posted on Reddit, Alex announced that he had cancer during the lunch break and the staff and contestants were made aware of this in between yesterday's and today's episodes.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm According to Megan, who's posted on Reddit, Alex announced that he had cancer during the lunch break and the staff and contestants were made aware of this in between yesterday's and today's episodes.
Wow--you'd never have guessed his cancer diagnosis was weighing on him. What a superb host, to get extra goofy in Megan's interview and not let the health news dampen anyone's spirit. That positive attitude is getting him through! Go, AT!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I see J! activated the dhkendall-signal.

Fun fact: the current (post 1947) anthem might have been composed by Johann Holzer

Johann Holzer
James Holzhauer

You don’t think he’s a time traveller, do you?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Germany seemed too obvious so I went with James' response.

Stradivarius was on the bottom row given "Italian violin master"?

Why was beach volleyball accepted when it was specifically stated in the question it wasn't what they wanted?

A little surprised James said manager in the Babe Ruth category.

Yes, it turned out to be a slam dunk, but I don't blame him for taking it easy on the DD in the dates category. He hadn't done well in it and no need to risk much money. I would have blamed one of the others for betting small there.

James now needs to win $138,118 to break Ken's record. Possible to do it one day, but he'd need to hit the DDs late in each round and/or face a couple of weak players.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew that a hymn tune by Haydn famously got turned into “Deutschland Uber Alles”. I did not know that the same tune was the Austrian anthem, but the wording of the clue did not seem to point to Germany, so I went with the only other logical choice of Austria.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Can we skip me? I'm not topping that." Loved it.

Baseball has captains? That seemed like a very negbaity clue if even the sports gambler missed it.

Bambino and surprisingly, "It" Me were 0/5 for me.

I think the writers overshot the difficulty on that Date category.

My mom drinks Twinings Earl Grey tea all the time and I still said Tetley.

I recognized "Kowalski" as a Madagascar reference but still went 0/5 in the category.

Tainted by association with Nazis -> "Deutschland über Alles" -> Germany. What? It's not Germany?! But... but Deutschland! That's Germany! HOW IS THAT WRONG?!? I still don't see how that ends up being Austria instead and I've read the Wikipedia article on it.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm Germany seemed too obvious so I went with James' response.
Right thinking. I thought it was a silly FJ clue. Germany is an obvious trap, so what else could it be? Plus, Haydn was Austrian.

Suprisingly suboptimal $5,000 DD wager by James. If he thought he wouldn't get it, why not wager $5? A little after-lunch lapse?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

gnash wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm Germany seemed too obvious so I went with James' response.
Right thinking. I thought it was a silly FJ clue. Germany is an obvious trap, so what else could it be?
How is it a trap? I'm still not following the breadcrumbs to Austria, since I have "DEUTSCHLAND" in 20-foot-tall flashing neon.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm I see J! activated the dhkendall-signal.

Fun fact: the current (post 1947) anthem might have been composed by Johann Holzer

Johann Holzer
James Holzhauer

You don’t think he’s a time traveller, do you?
They are coming out of the WOODwork!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:52 pm
gnash wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 pm
Right thinking. I thought it was a silly FJ clue. Germany is an obvious trap, so what else could it be?
How is it a trap? I'm still not following the breadcrumbs to Austria, since I have "DEUTSCHLAND" in 20-foot-tall flashing neon.
Because if that had been the answer, it would have been an utterly uninteresting clue.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Tainted by association with Nazis -> "Deutschland über Alles" -> Germany. What? It's not Germany?! But... but Deutschland! That's Germany! HOW IS THAT WRONG?!? I still don't see how that ends up being Austria instead and I've read the Wikipedia article on it.
Two clues to me that it was not Germany:

In 1947, it would have been West Germany, which technically is not the same as Germany today, and I thought they would be asking about a current country.

Haydn was Austrian, and why even mention him in the clue unless you’re pointing to Austria.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:13 am James [after Megan's story at chat time]: Can we skip me? I'm not topping that. [Laughter]
Alex: All right, moving on. [Laughter]
James may have his detractors and his socially awkward exchanges, but this line killed.

How many times has this happened where Alex skips a contestant interview? I can only think of one other:

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm Stradivarius was on the bottom row given "Italian violin master"?
Right? For that much money they should have to come up with Guarneri.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 pm

In 1947, it would have been West Germany, which technically is not the same as Germany today, and I thought they would be asking about a current country.

Haydn was Austrian, and why even mention him in the clue unless you’re pointing to Austria.
Why even mention "Nazis" in the clue unless you're pointing to Germany?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:57 pm
Leander wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Why even mention "Nazis" in the clue unless you're pointing to Germany?
You got it exactly backwards. If the answer were Germany, spotting "Nazi" would make it too obvious and too easy.