2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Overtime should be having Jacques Bailly read a word in Romanized O'zbek, and having the kids write down how they think the word is spelled, including the apostrophes in the right places. That will weed them out quickly.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Sniglets.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 am
badgerfellow wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 am Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4...you get the picture:

pretty lame imo...they should have kept them going...if there is a game 7 of the stanley cup playoffs it continues until the tie is broken...regardless of how long it takes...same should have been done with this event
Overtime is used in all NHL playoff games tied after regulation.
and your point? i know that...i used stanley cup finals as the example since it is for the championship just like this spelling bee thing is
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The spelling bee is completely broken. If Scripps wants to keep the format as-is and never determine a winner, the national finals will be off broadcast television and onto a Twitch stream within three years.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I think a fun way to settle it would be to have each remaining finalist contribute a word that they judge to be of extreme difficulty and then have a last round of those words.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Musician Leon Redbone dies at 69.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:06 am Musician Leon Redbone dies at 69.
...and Claus Von Bulow!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

9021amyers wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:46 am The spelling bee is completely broken. If Scripps wants to keep the format as-is and never determine a winner, the national finals will be off broadcast television and onto a Twitch stream within three years.
I was going to suggest cutting the time each player has down, but maybe they do that anyway. Then I though of a better, more complicated idea. Put them on a chess/Scrabble clock. Each player can hem and haw and ask for derivations and sentences as longs as they want as long as they want, but they get 20 minutes to spell total. Or give them five minutes at round one, with an extra 30 seconds per round added.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:06 am Musician Leon Redbone dies at 69.
saw that yesterday...had never heard of him before...learned he was the singer of the mr. belvedere theme song
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:58 am
9021amyers wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:46 am The spelling bee is completely broken. If Scripps wants to keep the format as-is and never determine a winner, the national finals will be off broadcast television and onto a Twitch stream within three years.
I was going to suggest cutting the time each player has down, but maybe they do that anyway. Then I though of a better, more complicated idea. Put them on a chess/Scrabble clock. Each player can hem and haw and ask for derivations and sentences as longs as they want as long as they want, but they get 20 minutes to spell total. Or give them five minutes at round one, with an extra 30 seconds per round added.
shot clock would be a great implementation for this event...more and more things are adding it...has become almost universal in poker deeper in tournaments...tennis has always had it, but supposedly are starting to be a bit more stringent with it...baseball supposedly is going to officially add it for pitchers/batters which is good because i am tired of seeing batters restrap their batting gloves after every pitch they see
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

can we get all this spelling bee opinion out of current events and keep this thread for events?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 pm can we get all this spelling bee opinion out of current events and keep this thread for events?
how about set up 2 threads..1 for the current events only and another for putting current events and allowing for discussion of said events?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 pm can we get all this spelling bee opinion out of current events and keep this thread for events?
how about set up 2 threads..1 for the current events only and another for putting current events and allowing for discussion of said events?
some discussion is fine here, but this is another one that has turned into full blown conversation filled with opinion and not facts--we already have a separate thread for things of this nature
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:03 pm
some discussion is fine here, but this is another one that has turned into full blown conversation filled with opinion and not facts--we already have a separate thread for things of this nature
what is that thread?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 pm
what is that thread?
Retaken Down
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 pm

i like the idea of creating 2 current events threads and pinning them to the top...one for just posting the subject and another for posting the subject and allowing for discussion
what is that thread?
Retaken Down
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Apple is set to retire the iTunes software brand in favor of separate music, podcast, and video interfaces.

FWIW, I can’t remember the last time I used iTunes on my computer. If I’m listening to music or podcasts at home, I stream it through my phone to a Bluetooth speaker.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

9021amyers wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:09 pm Apple is set to retire the iTunes software brand in favor of separate music, podcast, and video interfaces.

FWIW, I can’t remember the last time I used iTunes on my computer. If I’m listening to music or podcasts at home, I stream it through my phone to a Bluetooth speaker.
have never used an apple product before
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

As davey pointed out in the midst of the spelling bee hullabaloo, Danish-born socialite Claus von Bülow has died at the age of 92. The subject of two "celebrity" trials in the 1980s, von Bülow was convicted in 1982 of trying to kill his wealthy wife, Sunny, who had fallen into an irreversible coma. But the conviction was overturned, and he was acquitted of the charges in a second trial in 1985.

A few trivial tidbits:

In addition to a Fifth Avenue apartment in New York City, the von Bülows owned Clarendon Court, their ocean-side mansion in Newport, Rhode Island, that had been the setting for the 1956 musical High Society, starring Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Bing Crosby.

Jeremy Irons won an Academy Award for his portrayal of von Bülow in the 1990 film Reversal of Fortune. Glenn Close played Sunny, and Ron Silver portrayed appeals lawyer Alan Dershowitz, the author of the book the movie was based on.

After graduating Trinity College, Cambridge, Claus von Bülow practiced law in London in the 1950s before working as a personal assistant to oil baron J. Paul Getty.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Frank Lucas, heroin kingpin and played by Denzel Washington in the film "American Gangster" has died at 88
https://www.theroot.com/harlem-drug-kin ... 1835178473
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)