Tuesday, June 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD TIME ZONES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European country is still an hour ahead of GMT, a move made in 1940 to be on the same time as Nazi Germany

Emma Boettcher: 24600-0=24600 (2x = $71,401)
Matthew Swanson: 11000+8201=19201
Liz Neal: 9600-2400=7200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Spain (Emma – Norway) (Liz – Austria)

Daily Doubles
Emma: 4600+4600
Matthew: 7000+6000
Matthew: 15000-6000

Coryats
Emma: 20800
Matthew: 12200
Liz: 9600

Combined: 42,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emma: 14200
Matthew: 3000
Liz: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Very surprising that the J! round was able to end with the Clue Crew clue in PARKER HOUSE unseen.

Emma showed from the get-go she was ready to defend in running the Bible books bottoms up for $3000. 11400 at the first segment after doubling up her 4600 and 14200 to end the round left the challengers some work to do.

Matthew had a chance in finding DD2 and DD3 though missed one and did not do all of his 7000 on DD2. An extra thousand there and then he perhaps could have bet less on DD3 to give himself a chance to have broken the lock. As it played out Liz and Matthew divided the clues enough to allow Emma the luxury of the miss and 0 wager in the FJ! round.

This game should come with a warning for music fans of songs back in the day with stumpers on the "Arthur's Theme" singer and the guy who sang about the Edmund Fitzgerald. Prepared to feel a little older.

The FJ! clue was one of those 30-second misses and 33-second solves for me. I did a Hitler to Mussolini match and wrote Italy since my knowledge of time zones is lacking. Just as time was up I did a better job of realizing what to do with drawing a GMT line and knew what I should have written.

My bad to let a solve get away and it only adds to misses when "Germany" is in a FJ! clue's wording. It was funny that off that category I expected to at least be spared anything German due to the earlier WE BORDER GERMANY. No such luck.

Way to go by Emma to use her strong opening to put the game away. There is nothing wrong with needing a little luck and help to win a game on J!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Emma is a terrific player, but it’s a bit unfair that regular contestants have to play against someone so well prepared. I mean she wrote her Master’s Thesis on the show!!!!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

If Emma wins 5, will that knock Eric Backes down to 15th on the leaderboard? He'd be the last 4-time champ left then. Which means any other 5-time champs after Emma will start knocking off other 5-time champs from the leaderboard. I'd hate to think that nowadays, 5-time champs wouldn't be eligible to compete in ToCs anymore because of this. Hopefully the newer 5-time champs after whoever's next after whoever's next (say Emma) will be saved for the ToC after the upcoming ToC instead, so we don't have to have any 5-time champs not get a spot in a ToC because of this extended wait.

Perhaps a confusing post but hopefully there's enough sense in it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:12 pm If Emma wins 5, will that knock Eric Backes down to 15th on the leaderboard? He'd be the last 4-time champ left then. Which means any other 5-time champs after Emma will start knocking off other 5-time champs from the leaderboard. I'd hate to think that nowadays, 5-time champs wouldn't be eligible to compete in ToCs anymore because of this. Hopefully the newer 5-time champs after whoever's next after whoever's next (say Emma) will be saved for the ToC after the upcoming ToC instead, so we don't have to have any 5-time champs not get a spot in a ToC because of this extended wait.

Special circumstances aside (see that guy who was arrested whose name I can't recall), there's no precedent for TPTB to keep a 5xer out of the TOC, and I doubt that will change. They could cut off the qualification period early, or hold someone over until the next one as you suggested. But I don't understand the question. On the TOC tracker on TJF, Backes is one of four 4xers.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:12 pm If Emma wins 5, will that knock Eric Backes down to 15th on the leaderboard? He'd be the last 4-time champ left then. Which means any other 5-time champs after Emma will start knocking off other 5-time champs from the leaderboard. I'd hate to think that nowadays, 5-time champs wouldn't be eligible to compete in ToCs anymore because of this. Hopefully the newer 5-time champs after whoever's next after whoever's next (say Emma) will be saved for the ToC after the upcoming ToC instead, so we don't have to have any 5-time champs not get a spot in a ToC because of this extended wait.

Special circumstances aside (see that guy who was arrested whose name I can't recall), there's no precedent for TPTB to keep a 5xer out of the TOC, and I doubt that will change. They could cut off the qualification period early, or hold someone over until the next one as you suggested. But I don't understand the question. On the TOC tracker on TJF, Backes is one of four 4xers.
Thanks for the response.

I was referring to the ToC tracker on the Jeopardy site. Larry Martin is still on there, but as he would now be excluded, I made a mental error in taking off one of the three remaining 4-time champs instead of adding one back on. So yes, currently there are four 4-time champs still on the leaderboard. Emma winning 5 and then being followed by another 5-time champ soon after would leave Anneke and Eric, not just Eric.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Being this is the first post-Holzhauer game, did Emma or any of the challengers implement any of James' strategies (e.g. aggressive DD/FJ wagering, Forrest Bounce)?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm Being this is the first post-Holzhauer game, did Emma or any of the challengers implement any of James' strategies (e.g. aggressive DD/FJ wagering, Forrest Bounce)?
Read the 4th post.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

She only hit one DD and bet it all, and she won the game with $24,000, lower than what James has been averaging during his run; though she got FJ! wrong she didn't risk anything.
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm Being this is the first post-Holzhauer game, did Emma or any of the challengers implement any of James' strategies (e.g. aggressive DD/FJ wagering, Forrest Bounce)?
Read the 4th post.
I am genuinely entertained at the amount of words you waste transcribing an episode that we've all seen, compared to the amount of words you are willing to spend helping someone who is asking a question.

jeopardyfan, the "4th post" doesn't really answer your question, except to say that she did a TDD in single jeopardy.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Roland wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm
Read the 4th post.
I am genuinely entertained at the amount of words you waste transcribing an episode that we've all seen, compared to the amount of words you are willing to spend helping someone who is asking a question.

jeopardyfan, the "4th post" doesn't really answer your question, except to say that she did a TDD in single jeopardy.
To be fair, the game recaps are especially valuable when we've missed the show and want to check in. Gimme all the color commentary ya got!

I don't believe Emma's gameplay was an attempt to emulate James' style. She just knows how to get down to bidness. When Alex made some kind of James comparison after her TDD, she shook her head a little, like, "What?"
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Granted this was a long time ago, but in my season (1991-1992), there were a lot of 5-time winners; there was only one four-time winner in our group. Towards the end of the season, when the 5-time champs were piling up, on-air Alex asked the rhetorical question, "What happens if we have more than 12 5-day champions?" (this was back when College, Teen and Senior earned an automatic berth) "Well, we'll come up with an alternate format!"

I don't think this is really an issue now, since TOCs are no longer held on a yearly basis. J! can automatically declare a TOC field any time they have enough 4+ winners, which they already do.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mark Dawson and Alan Bailey, the last two 5xers before the 2001 ToC, were perhaps spared being Ruttered by being bumped to the 2003 ToC. The only player in the 2001 ToC who wasn't a 5xer was college champion Pam Mueller.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Ecclesiastes in Bible, but no other gets by the break. Got only guano, Canucks, and Yankees after that.

"Undead" misled me down the zombie path and distracted me from matching Gellar to BtVS.

I did horribly in DJ! Would have gotten the rhymes but my brain just wasn't there. Also blanked on Gordon Lightfoot and Styx. NHO "Somewhere Beyond the Sea". Literally my only get was Lonely Island.

What was the TOM on the Martha Washington stand and stare?

The license plate clue could have been anything. I guessed ABC123 since license plates are usually multiple numbers and letters. How should I know it was fewer?

I zoned out and didn't hear the Christmas part of the mistletoe clue. Oops.

No guess on FJ! Could be anything.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I loved Emma's expression when Alex insinuated that doubling up on the J! Round DD must have been "taking inspiration" from James. I don't think that was his innovation, Trebek.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm I loved Emma's expression when Alex insinuated that doubling up on the J! Round DD must have been "taking inspiration" from James. I don't think that was his innovation, Trebek.
Seeing as she has never seen him play a DD, it would be impossible for her to follow his lead.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm I loved Emma's expression when Alex insinuated that doubling up on the J! Round DD must have been "taking inspiration" from James. I don't think that was his innovation, Trebek.
Seeing as she has never seen him play a DD, it would be impossible for her to follow his lead.
Except for the one he got on the first clue yesterday, right.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Was James brought onto the set at the beginning for acknowledgement for his success, like Ken Jennings was the day after he was defeated?