New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CharlieD wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:18 pm Does anybody know if there is a missing game in Season 18? There are 229 shows listed for Season 18, which is one short of a full 230.
The archive skips show #4088 and May 15 2002, but there is no discontinuity in the contestants:
#4077 Ronnie O'Rourke first win.
#4078 to #4087 Million Dollar Masters 10-game tournament
#4088 SKIPPED
#4089 Ronnie O'Rourke 1-day champion game

#4088 is missing, but the shows are continuous. Are the numbers just messed up, or is there a missing show somewhere, with the numbers also being messed up somewhere else?
Wasn't #4088 the ceremonial 4,000th episode, which was entirely a clip show? This is why I've always thought there should be a placeholder or footnote explaining as such.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Yes, May 15, 2002 was the 4000th episode, and entirely a half-hour clip show with no gameplay.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:20 pm
CharlieD wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:18 pm Does anybody know if there is a missing game in Season 18? There are 229 shows listed for Season 18, which is one short of a full 230.
The archive skips show #4088 and May 15 2002, but there is no discontinuity in the contestants:
#4077 Ronnie O'Rourke first win.
#4078 to #4087 Million Dollar Masters 10-game tournament
#4088 SKIPPED
#4089 Ronnie O'Rourke 1-day champion game

#4088 is missing, but the shows are continuous. Are the numbers just messed up, or is there a missing show somewhere, with the numbers also being messed up somewhere else?
Wasn't #4088 the ceremonial 4,000th episode, which was entirely a clip show? This is why I've always thought there should be a placeholder or footnote explaining as such.
I think that the way J! Archive is coded, a game page has to at least name the contestants. Overhauling the code to accommodate a single placeholder is probably not in the plans (although I imagine a brief note in the FJ at the end of the M$M wouldn't be out of the question—then again, the entire endgame is described there, so they might not want to put even more text at the end).
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm I think that the way J! Archive is coded, a game page has to at least name the contestants. Overhauling the code to accommodate a single placeholder is probably not in the plans (although I imagine a brief note in the FJ at the end of the M$M wouldn't be out of the question—then again, the entire endgame is described there, so they might not want to put even more text at the end).
Could entering something like "4000", "Episode" and "Special" or something like that in the place where the contestants' names go work?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lore wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:13 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm I think that the way J! Archive is coded, a game page has to at least name the contestants. Overhauling the code to accommodate a single placeholder is probably not in the plans (although I imagine a brief note in the FJ at the end of the M$M wouldn't be out of the question—then again, the entire endgame is described there, so they might not want to put even more text at the end).
Could entering something like "4000", "Episode" and "Special" or something like that in the place where the contestants' names go work?
Maybe a note at the top of the M$M 2nd finals game, something like:

2002 Million Dollar Masters final game 2.
The Jeopardy! 4000th episode special aired the next day, Wednesday May 15, 2002.

A little awkward, but since the special was also taped at Radio City Music Hall, it wouldn't be so out of place.

Here's the special again, for anyone who hasn't seen it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm

The Jeopardy! 4000th episode special aired the next day, Wednesday May 15, 2002.

A little awkward, but since the special was also taped at Radio City Music Hall, it wouldn't be so out of place.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

We just passed #8000 so maybe we're due for another clip show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/23/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6305

1987 Teen Tournament semifinals with Mitch Epner, Brian Kalt, and Paul Egendorf. Pics already shared here or in Archive.

DD2 is a classic and has to be shared:

Funny that Brian the 14-year-old with non-deep voice found it.

I tried to click the right things to make the video public. If it does not work then let me know. Robert, I did my best for archiving that clue and you can let me know what to change or add to it all.

Many places for Brian to revisit for how he could have made the finals. Hope he's over it by now.

My song coincidence of the summer (happens at least once each year) was "Africa" by Toto playing for my background music when Brian had that incorrect response.

1 of 2 presidents to live past their 90th birthdays has had more company since 1987.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:50 pm I added 2/23/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6305

1987 Teen Tournament semifinals with Mitch Epner, Brian Kalt, and Paul Egendorf. Pics already shared here or in Archive.

DD2 is a classic and has to be shared:
I like that it was classified as an Audio Daily Double.
CharlieD
Contributor

Post by CharlieD »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Thank you MMM. I hadn't seen it until now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/24/87 TT SF2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6306

with Salil Kumar, Dana Venator, and David Simon

Ouch on Salil losing from the lead on a FJ! clue that was basic math and both of his opponents solved.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/25/87 TT S3:http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6308

Mike Becker, Lisa Patterson and Michael Galvin. Even when I do not do player pics I include the player names in case anyone is ego surfing and the post makes them check in. It's happened before.

The game had me marking a couple of Errata. 

For Miss Gulch's first name Elvira in this game is the only hit I found.  The next time it came up was the correct Almira.  After that it was Miss Gulch, so I suspect the show may have received some letters.

People would lose they minds if that Ms. Pac-Man clue went down like that today.  Perhaps they owed Lisa one as I would have given a BMS on the Tarzan miss.

Images for the incorrect FJ! responses.  I'm open to any changes someone wants to suggest:
Spoiler
Mike:  You had 30 seconds.  Figure it out, dude.  There could have been a tiebreaker clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 pm People would lose they minds if that Ms. Pac-Man clue went down like that today.  Perhaps they owed Lisa one as I would have given a BMS on the Tarzan miss.
[/spoiler]
So for the Ms. Pac-Man clue (which has a stray power pellet period in it, btw), they
Spoiler
credited her correct, since Pinky has "pink" in it?
I wouldn't have.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think you rendered Lisa's perfectly but I don't see any indication that Mike attempted to cross out the second attempt at ""James". Also I would give him the benefit of the doubt and call the first J in the first attempt as crossed out with no space in between that J and the rest of the "James" attempt (I guess he was having telewriter trouble). I might even be more generous and call his last character as a legible S, but in the end it doesn't matter since "James" was not the correct response and he would have been wrong no matter how complete he had been able to make it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm I wouldn't have.
Google search for "pinky":

pinky
/ˈpiNGkē/
adjective
1. partly pink or with a pink tinge.
"right now, the cliffs are bathed in pinky-orange light"
noun
1. variant spelling of pinkie (sense 1).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One power pellet deleted. I missed a / for the closing <del> that had more struck than necessary for Mike's response. I've add the S at the end since it was almost there. I see no cross out for the first J, so I left that.

Thanks for the feedback. On to F1 tomorrow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:01 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm I wouldn't have.
Google search for "pinky":

pinky
/ˈpiNGkē/
adjective
1. partly pink or with a pink tinge.
"right now, the cliffs are bathed in pinky-orange light"
noun
1. variant spelling of pinkie (sense 1).
I'm begrudgingly convinced.

Bonus trivia: what is the only name in common between the Pac-Man ghosts and Disney's Seven Dwarfs?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm I'm begrudgingly convinced.
Thebestkindofconvinced.jpg
Thebestkindofconvinced.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm Bonus trivia: what is the only name in common between the Pac-Man ghosts and Disney's Seven Dwarfs?
I had to look that up because I had never seen that set of names before. I did know, from a redlettermedia Best of the Worst video, that Clyde switched genders to become Sue for Ms. Pac-Man.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm Bonus trivia: what is the only name in common between the Pac-Man ghosts and Disney's Seven Dwarfs?
I give up. There are no overlaps based on this page:

https://pacman.fandom.com/wiki/Ghosts