New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Now Mark, Michael Galvin and Mike Becker were tied with $6400 going into FJ!, who's FJ! response was shown first? And our friend Trevor Panno(aka animfan) says that this episode aired on February 18, 1987 according to Trevor. I wonder how Trevor is doing. Here's what I'm thinking, the minimum guarantees for 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the 2-episode Finals in the Seniors Tournament was $5000, I wonder if this Teen Tournament had the same minimum guarantees of $5000 for 2nd and 3rd place finishers for some reason? I know GSN reran this Teen Tournament for sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 pm Now Mark, Michael Galvin and Mike Becker were tied with $6400 going into FJ!, who's FJ! response was shown first? And our friend Trevor Panno(aka animfan) says that this episode aired on February 18, 1987 according to Trevor. I wonder how Trevor is doing. Here's what I'm thinking, the minimum guarantees for 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the 2-episode Finals in the Seniors Tournament was $5000, I wonder if this Teen Tournament had the same minimum guarantees of $5000 for 2nd and 3rd place finishers for some reason? I know GSN reran this Teen Tournament for sure.

Alex went to Mike first and then to Michael. Is there something unusual about this order? (Is this the kind of thing that needs to be included in the Archive?) The airdate stuff comes up each time someone does a S3 game. Game 1 was already in the Archive and I followed suit for games 2-8. For finals money I'm sure Alex said earlier in the tournament that 2nd and 3rd keep what they make without mentioning a minimum.

It will probably come up again before the tourney is over. I will watch and listen for a confirmation about Dana getting her total augmented.

Whether GSN ran this tourney never, once or ten times has nothing to do with my taping the game off my local affiliate.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/26/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6310

Teen Tournament Finals 1 with Mitch Epner, Dana Venator and Michael Galvin

Alex gave them the business for saving SPELLING for last. It worked out okay after the rough start. Those correct responses are no fun to archive.

I added an Erratum for the Life Savers flavor.

Here is a video for one clue that went down a little strange:
Spoiler
For the FJ! clue I only capitalized Pacific. Is that the correct way?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Wikipedia has "Time Zone" in caps as well. Makes sense, as it's the name of a time zone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Time_Zone
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:24 pm[SPELLING] worked out okay after the rough start.
That is hilarious that two contestants couldn't spell "misspell".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 pm Wikipedia has "Time Zone" in caps as well. Makes sense, as it's the name of a time zone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Time_Zone
I made the change. My method on Google "capitalize pacific time zone" turned up conflicting opinions. For correction suggestions I accepted the suggestions. It's nice to know eagle eyes are at work such as a space before a comma.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:24 pm Here is a video for one clue that went down a little strange:
Interesting. He definitely would have been ruled correct nowadays. Did that change at some point?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:24 pm Here is a video for one clue that went down a little strange:
Interesting. He definitely would have been ruled correct nowadays. Did that change at some point?
Would he? He said Mary Dodd.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:46 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm
Would he? He said Mary Dodd.
He did, but he changed it before Alex said he was wrong and Alex said they had to take his first answer, which he no longer does.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Strategy.jpg
Strategy.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Not to bury Robert's awesome meme, but I have a topic for debate. We have a clue where the correct answer is the Searchers' version of "Love Potion No. 9", originally recorded by The Clovers. And that's the way I always remember seeing the title rendered: "No. 9". But, according to the picture of the single sleeve on Wikipedia, it was there abbreviated "Love Potion Nr. 9", an abbreviation I've never seen before. And my copy of Joel Whitburn shows it as "Love Potion Number Nine". So which version should I use? I'm inclined to go with Whitburn, at least until I can find a copy of the back cover of the LP, or the single label.

Thoughts?

So glad that this came up on clue No. 3 (see what I did there?) of the game I'm doing, to kill any momentum I might have worked up.

ETA: I just found a picture of the single label, which matches the catalog number in Whitburn, and which spells out "Number Nine", so I'm going with that. Sorry to quell the debate so quickly.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Just out of curiosity - Does anyone have Burns Cameron's episode of the 1990 Super Jeopardy? It's the only episode from that special tournament I've never been able to find on YouTube, and I was wondering if anyone could upload the intro of that episode to YouTube if they have it.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

- Another "What's this episode?" post. This is from season 8, circa January 1992.

Also, I know this may seem like a dumb Q, but I take it the "turn your backs against the board" part is to curtail cheating, I take it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

About 20 seconds in the guy says this is episode 1802. That is where the Archive comes in handy. 1800 is Friday the 29th, so 1802 is Tuesday, June 2, 1992.

Players turn their backs in case there is some kind of board malfunction that accidentally reveals a clue(s). I broke the game more than once when I played with off the wall responses and unexpectedly starting a video category in the middle. As the instruction was given to turn around I took in what I could of the categories to think of what material could show up.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Aah. Thanks for the clarification about the "turn your backs" thing. :)

@Mark: What were the results of this game?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jlgarfield wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 pm ^ Aah. Thanks for the clarification about the "turn your backs" thing. :)

@Mark: What were the results of this game?
You saw the players getting drinks from cups. In aught five there were individual mini water bottles with the name marked on the cap. That is not very environmentally friendly so I wonder if that is still how it is done?

Jim: 14000+5000=19000 (2x = $33,400)
Martha: 1500+1500=3000
Charlie: 8400+8400=16800

From Here (another great resource): http://www.j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php
FJ! Category: POETS
FJ! Clue: ALTHOUGH ASSOCIATED WITH NEW ENGLAND, THIS PULITZER-WINNING POET WAS NAMED FOR A CONFEDERATE GENERAL

Correct response:
Spoiler
Robert Lee Frost
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm About 20 seconds in the guy says this is episode 1802.

Right before that he says, "This is what you'll see June 2nd."
That is where the Archive comes in handy. 1800 is Friday the 29th, so 1802 is Tuesday, June 2, 1992
Yup. We got it right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm About 20 seconds in the guy says this is episode 1802.

Right before that he says, "This is what you'll see June 2nd."
That is where the Archive comes in handy. 1800 is Friday the 29th, so 1802 is Tuesday, June 2, 1992
Yup. We got it right.
Did a gorilla go across the screen as well? I was so distracted by the visuals of the old set and catching the player names that I never heard the date. Funny how the mind works sometimes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/27/87 Teen Tournament Finals 2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6312

Mitch Epner, Dana Venator, and Michael Galvin

For Dana ending up with $4600 for F1 and $100 for F2 an onscreen graphic was shown with her getting $5,000 the same amount for the non-winning semifinalists. The Archive had her getting $7,500 though now I do not know where the figure came from. I changed it to $5,000 though can easily adjust to $7500 if someone has other facts.

Just in case someone asks Alex went to Mitch first at position 3 with his 4100 before going to Dana with her 4100 creating a down the line to winner Michael.

Edited: Linking games problem solved