Season 36 Changes & Predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by morbeedo »

When a Daily Double is revealed, fire shoots out of the top of the game board and the whole set shakes

The monitor for video clues is made smaller and located behind the audience and to the left

Fonts are new, borrowed from Millionaire S17

Alex wears a new custom wig for each game, even after all his hair has grown back

morbeedo gets The Call
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I like how the TOC ups the game when it comes to Bloom's taxonomy. Instead of seeking Pavlovian associations of Shakespeare characters with plays, they reward people who've actually read the plays.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

I think there'll be a new rule that players have to go in order down the columns. They can switch columns when they gain control, but they have to start at the top at the lowest value and work their way down.

Eliminates people copying James H's strategy and the "Forrest Bounce" so vociferously disliked by a certain subset of the Jeopardy!-watching population.

I wouldn't like it, but they wouldn't ask me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm When a Daily Double is revealed, fire shoots out of the top of the game board and the whole set shakes

The monitor for video clues is made smaller and located behind the audience and to the left

Fonts are new, borrowed from Millionaire S17

Alex wears a new custom wig for each game, even after all his hair has grown back

morbeedo gets The Call
You had me going until that last one. Then I realized you were just being silly.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Jurimetrician wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 pm I think there'll be a new rule that players have to go in order down the columns. They can switch columns when they gain control, but they have to start at the top at the lowest value and work their way down.

Eliminates people copying James H's strategy and the "Forrest Bounce" so vociferously disliked by a certain subset of the Jeopardy!-watching population.

In earlier seasons, for technical reasons (e.g. a slideshow where there were physical slides or something of that nature in order), TPTB did occasionally require contestants to take the clues in (top-to-bottom) order within a category (but a contestant could still usually move to another category if he or she wished).
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 pm New set? Not until there is a new host. Too expensive to do twice in a few years.
Well, Jeopardy has been updating the set every few years:

- 1984–1985 (red Jeopardy! logo)
- 1985–1991 (gold and blue neon borders, white Jeopardy! logo during season 2, changed to gold from seasons 3-7, set background changed from blue to red for DJ! and FJ!)
- 1991–1996 (grid set)
- 1996–2002 (sushi bar set, stopped turning red for DJ! and FJ! a month into Season 14)
- 2002–2009 (metallic set, had trapezoid shaped contestant lecterns until the transition to HD in '06, afterwards had a nearly seamless projection wall for the game board as well as wider podiums)
- 2009–2013 (CES set, first introduced at the '09 CES when Jeopardy! taped a celebrity episode and the ToC, was put permanently into use at the beginning of Season 26)
- 2013–present (current set, introduced only four years after the CES set as part of celebrating the show's 30th anniversary)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 pm New set? Not until there is a new host. Too expensive to do twice in a few years.

- 1985–1991 (gold and blue neon borders, white Jeopardy! logo during season 2, changed to gold from seasons 3-7, set background changed from blue to red for DJ! and FJ!)
- 1991–1996 (grid set)
- 1996–2002 (sushi bar set, stopped turning red for DJ! and FJ! a month into Season 14)
- 2002–2009 (metallic set, had trapezoid shaped contestant lecterns until the transition to HD in '06, afterwards had a nearly seamless projection wall for the game board as well as wider podiums)
- 2009–2013 (CES set, first introduced at the '09 CES when Jeopardy! taped a celebrity episode and the ToC, was put permanently into use at the beginning of Season 26)
- 2013–present (current set, introduced only four years after the CES set as part of celebrating the show's 30th anniversary)
my main point was not only the expense, but it just doesn't make sense to change the set now as Alex's contract is up in a couple of years and it now seems unlikely he would continue after that; or if (and I hate the thought), he doesn't come back. It would probably be in the best interest of the show to change the set when the host changes to make a cleaner break.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm Alex wears a new custom wig for each game
And a red, rubber nose?
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am
GoodStrategy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:16 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 am 4. The clue board will finally adopt proper English Style with commas and periods inside quotation marks.
English style is outside.
The long-term trend appears to be moving towards "outside" style (since it eliminates ambiguity in technical contexts, etc.). Wikipedia uses "English" style despite being located in the USA for example.
The "inside" style is an abomination invented by someone who thought the printed page was a work of abstract visual art without intelligible content.
Actually, it was invented because the small periods and commas were less likely to be damaged inside quotes (in the era of physical type pieces). Agreed it's no longer sensible with digital type.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:16 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 pm

- 1991–1996 (grid set)
my main point was not only the expense, but it just doesn't make sense to change the set now as Alex's contract is up in a couple of years and it now seems unlikely he would continue after that; or if (and I hate the thought), he doesn't come back. It would probably be in the best interest of the show to change the set when the host changes to make a cleaner break.
His contract does expire in 2022, but a lot depends on his health. If Season 36 is his last one, then yeah keep the current set and music package but update both once J! gets a new host. Or if he does make it to Season 38, then that season for sure should be the last one to use the current set and current music package.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Jurimetrician wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 pm I think there'll be a new rule that players have to go in order down the columns. They can switch columns when they gain control, but they have to start at the top at the lowest value and work their way down.

I can't predict what TPTB will do but this has been discussed here before and it's a horrible idea, not least because it would make it harder for trailing players to catch up. And the high ratings during James's run indicate a lack of any motivation for the show to do this.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I can't predict what TPTB will do but this has been discussed here before and it's a horrible idea, not least because it would make it harder for trailing players to catch up. And the high ratings during James's run indicate a lack of any motivation for the show to do this.
As a matter of fact, I was actually impressed by James' strategy of going for the highest-value clues first; and in later episodes before Emma Boettcher ended his streak, I've noticed challengers emulating his strategy to try to play catch-up in Double Jeopardy!

And I think there was a woman who appeared on the show before James' run, and used the Forrest Bounce; she was just a one-time champion as far as I remember.

Before James Holzhauer, the most recent champion to go on a streak who used the Forrest Bounce strategy was Arthur Chu; he jumped between categories but didn't select the highest value clues first. James' strategy was rather different from those of Chuck Forrest and Chu.
yclept

Post by yclept »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 pm

As a matter of fact, I was actually impressed by James' strategy of going for the highest-value clues first; and in later episodes before Emma Boettcher ended his streak, I've noticed challengers emulating his strategy to try to play catch-up in Double Jeopardy!

And I think there was a woman who appeared on the show before James' run, and used the Forrest Bounce; she was just a one-time champion as far as I remember.

Before James Holzhauer, the most recent champion to go on a streak who used the Forrest Bounce strategy was Arthur Chu; he jumped between categories but didn't select the highest value clues first. James' strategy was rather different from those of Chuck Forrest and Chu.
Yes it was. I don’t remember any contestant in history who played all the $1K clues right away like James did. One can even say he wasn’t really DD hunting at that point because he was just playing the bottom of the board, including categories that don’t traditionally have Daily Doubles. Heck, maybe one VERY MINOR flaw in James’ game is that he would hit the DD on his first clue call - perhaps he should have started his play in categories not as likely to contain the DD.

Anything that impacts game strategy I am generally against. We must remember that not all players who would attempt to play like James would be successful at it. I don’t think TPTB are worried about James II coming on the show anytime soon. Most Jeopardy contestants are simply not risk takers - if they are sitting on $20,000, they likely are not going to do a $9,812 bet. Maybe that changes - but it is hard to change someone from a conservative poker player who only plays A-K or better into someone who puts out big raises on 2-9 off suit. It isn’t just about emulating James - it is also about how your brain works when it comes to risk tolerance.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Another thing I liked about James' run was that he used important dates in his life as wagers; and the day he broke Roger Craig's single-day record, he wagered $38,314 so that the total would match the birthdate of his daughter. At first I was wondering if he was influenced by Watson for making these unconventional wagers. But then deeper into his run, I realized it wasn't the case. During the earlier part of his run he also wrote shoutouts to family members in his FJ! responses until the episode aired April 29.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pmHeck, maybe one VERY MINOR flaw in James’ game is that he would hit the DD on his first clue call
It may be minor but that's arguably what did him in.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 pm
yclept wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pmHeck, maybe one VERY MINOR flaw in James’ game is that he would hit the DD on his first clue call
I think the biggest flaw in James's gameplay was that he played too conservatively.

Yes, seriously.

He made too few mistakes, and that did him in. He didn't buzz in on the Albany clue because it took him another second to figure it out. Ken would have buzzed in regardless and put faith in his ability to figure it out in the next 5 seconds.

When I prepared for J!, playing along at home, I targeted 2 wrong answers per game. If I'm making 4 or more errors, I'm being reckless and losing money; but if I make no errors, I'm being too timid and probably losing too many buzzer battles.

I can't match James or Ken on fundamentals, but I executed my prepared strategy well: I had 2 wrong answers in each of my 2 games.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm
I think the biggest flaw in James's gameplay was that he played too conservatively.

Yes, seriously.

He made too few mistakes, and that did him in. He didn't buzz in on the Albany clue because it took him another second to figure it out. Ken would have buzzed in regardless and put faith in his ability to figure it out in the next 5 seconds.

When I prepared for J!, playing along at home, I targeted 2 wrong answers per game. If I'm making 4 or more errors, I'm being reckless and losing money; but if I make no errors, I'm being too timid and probably losing too many buzzer battles.

I can't match James or Ken on fundamentals, but I executed my prepared strategy well: I had 2 wrong answers in each of my 2 games.
Did he say this somewhere, that he didn't buzz on Albany, or are you just speculating?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:19 pm
gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Yes, seriously.

Did he say this somewhere, that he didn't buzz on Albany, or are you just speculating?
He said that by the time he'd figured it out, Emma was already in.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am Making them truly random would be a rule change. Even making them randomly selected with something other than a uniform distribution would be a rule change. Currently you go into the game expecting the DDs to be clues for which that format is appropriate, usually because they have something to tease out or connect the dots. That also makes some categories more likely. If this were not so, it would be a somewhat different game.

Deliberate change in the distribution of DDs by row, while keeping the same general principles of their selection, would not be a rule change.
They have their method for placing them, but that isn’t a rule. It’s just a method. They currently can be found anywhere (even if they don’t like to do that).
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Le Master wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:55 am
gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am Making them truly random would be a rule change. Even making them randomly selected with something other than a uniform distribution would be a rule change. Currently you go into the game expecting the DDs to be clues for which that format is appropriate, usually because they have something to tease out or connect the dots. That also makes some categories more likely. If this were not so, it would be a somewhat different game.

Deliberate change in the distribution of DDs by row, while keeping the same general principles of their selection, would not be a rule change.
They have their method for placing them, but that isn’t a rule. It’s just a method. They currently can be found anywhere (even if they don’t like to do that).
I disagree. Knowing that humans choose DDs clearly affects how one should play the game, and this information is given to contestants. As long as it is disclosed and consistently applied, it is a rule. How would you define "rules of the game" not to include that?