Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 pm
ChexMix wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm I feel like I remember(possibly from this board?) Someone once saying that in certain finals, instructions are sometimes given pre final that simply a surname is not sufficient. Does anyone know or have any indication that this may have happened? I'm assuming simply Guthrie would not have been accepted.
Seeing as how Emma's response could have been parsed as "(a) Guthrie", and it was ruled incorrect, leads me to believe that a first name or initial was required.
i believe the woman with the french sounding name just went with guthrie and was given credit for it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm And here I thought the Mojave was in Arizona...
Got FJ easily.
need some death metal clues for you to not get final jeopardy correct...seems you are versed in folk/classic/and prog rock...but how are you with extreme metal?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Closed captioning also said Asterisk. I was fully expecting a reversal.

I interviewed Arlo on the radio a long time ago. Wasn't missing this one.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm Thing is I've still been rather upset to this day that James lost and fell short of Ken's record, and what really made me upset was Monday's episode got leaked on social media last weekend.
might want to rethink your life if you are that emotionally invested over a jeopardy contestant
cash me ousside, howbow dah?
i don't get the correlation
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I could swear I even heard a judge or two shout "No" after Emma rang in with "Asterisk".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm Would Red River have prompted a BMS
Its name is just the Red River, so I don't see how they could.
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 pm Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I could swear I even heard a judge or two shout "No" after Emma rang in with "Asterisk".
I definitely hear something, but I think it's just someone clearing their throat.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm
Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.
That's because there aren't any Williams-Sonoma stores in dead malls. A high-end cookware place is going to be one of the first to close when a mall starts going downhill. When my Williams-Sonoma gets replaced by a locally owned comic book and trading card store, I know the hammer will soon be tracking that mall.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Would Red River have prompted a BMS
I doubt it, because that's what it's called. Red River of the North is what you call a "sign name." Also, Red River is the correct name on the Canadian side.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Me during the think music:

Ummm? Maybe Arlo Guthrie? Probably not. There was the other Guthrie, though -- what was his name? Nope, it's not coming. But Arlo was the dad, right? He was older? And therefore more likely to be known to Steinbeck? Oh what the heck, I'm probably way off base anyway. I''ll just say Arlo Guthrie in order to say something.
Teems with quiet fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm
Another retail miss for me, as I've never been to Williams Sonoma and don't know what they sell.
That's because there aren't any Williams-Sonoma stores in dead malls. A high-end cookware place is going to be one of the first to close when a mall starts going downhill. When my Williams-Sonoma gets replaced by a locally owned comic book and trading card store, I know the hammer will soon be tracking that mall.
Hey, now, I have been to high-end malls too. I just don't go in the stores because I won't be able to afford anything they sell. They'd probably turn me down at the door for wearing a Rick and Morty shirt.

And dead malls that USED to be high-end. Look up Forest Fair Village sometime.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm
Hey, now, I have been to high-end malls too. I just don't go in the stores because I won't be able to afford anything they sell. They'd probably turn me down at the door for wearing a Rick and Morty shirt.

And dead malls that USED to be high-end. Look up Forest Fair Village sometime.
i have worn cradle of filth and cannibal corpse shirts into neiman marcus before
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

So long, Emma. It's been good to know you.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm And here I thought the Mojave was in Arizona...
Got FJ easily.
need some death metal clues for you to not get final jeopardy correct...seems you are versed in folk/classic/and prog rock...but how are you with extreme metal?
Oh, it's easy to stump me in music. Just ask about rap or anything after 2000, which is about 2/3 of Beat Shazam.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: I wonder if a calmer Emma, one who had bet at least $201 more on DD3, might have worked her way to the right response. This is a tough loss for someone who could have gone a lot farther.
I think she might have if she had written it down left-handed.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 amIt was nice of Emma to miss the FJ! clue or there would have been a lot of the "what if" game for her DD3 wager leaving her a little shy of the lead for the FJ! round.
I'll bet if she had gotten Final she wouldn't be kicking herself as much over the DD wager as letting Brendan ring in ahead of her on "Prospero".
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 pm I liked Emma and was rooting for her to make the ToC, but I liked all three contestants in this exciting game and would have been OK with any of them winning.

Just because I'm in denial about it being a losing battle: Emma definitely said "Asterisk", not "Asterix".
I noticed that too, or at least I said to myself, "She didn't pronounce it the way I do."
Maybe they let it slide because Asterix is technically a foreign name.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm Any reason I should know that Roger Clemens had B12 and not any other vitamin?
I guessed B12 because some people do take injections of B12 because it is not naturally found sufficiently in any foods, it is poorly absorbed by the body, and quite a few people are deficient in it.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pmI thought of Arlo but only in the context of wondering what they'd do with "Who is Guthrie?" I was hoping one of the three would try it so I could find out. I'm definitely on the side that says there's no way they should accept it, and I doubt they would. I also agree that a pre-FJ instruction would have tipped their hand too much.
I was down between Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger - went with Pete Seeger. However, if I had got pre-instructions about needing a first and last name, it would have been an instaget for Woody Guthrie. If someone had just written "Guthrie" by itself, I also think they would
have to rule against it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bob Dylan was my precall for FJ, but thought Woody Guthrie was much more likely. Did consider Pete Seeger.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

On FJ, Dylan popped into my head immediately, then almost as fast popped out - the Steinbeck quote felt much earlier than the early ‘60s. Woody Guthrie percolated up a few seconds later and I was pretty certain that was it, with the Dust Bowl / Grapes of Wrath connection.

Good game, everybody played well - good DD hunting for the most part - but agree that Emma might have been kicking herself about her DD wager had she gotten FJ correct. Will probably be next season before we really see if James’ strategies have significantly changed the game or not.