Friday, June 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CANADIAN CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
City Hall in this Western provincial capital is on Victoria Avenue near the corner of Albert Street

Brendan Roach: 25000-4500=20500 (2x = $58,700)
Allison Steger: 10000+10000=20000
Steven Silverman: 6800-4133=2667

Correct response:
Spoiler
Regina (Brendan – Victoria, BC) (Steven – Edmonton)

Daily Doubles
Brendan: 5800+2000
Brendan: 11800+4000
Steven: 2000+2000

Coryats
Brendan: 20800
Allison: 10000
Steven: 6400

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brendan: 10600
Allison: 3600
Steven: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game had a lot of LT available though not quite enough for a 4th podium win.

Nice runaway victory for Brendan although the gaffe on "Big bucks, no whammies!" to give Allison a rebound is inexcusable. He's lucky she could not break the lock to make her sole solve work better.

The FJ! clue had me almost make Steven's mistake as I saw Albert, converted it to Alberta and wrote Edmonton. Fortunately, Biff gave me a rap on the head, "Think McFly!" and I moved a step over to fully match everything in the clue.

TOUGH LITTLE CROSSWORD CLUES did indeed play tough with $1200 out of $6000 the net total after neg/rebound for $1200 and $1600 (sewing case) and $2000 (British gun) stumpers. I have filled in all the words many times yet with no surrounding help I went chicken clam on the church part (in a puzzle it's always one or the other) and blurted, "stet" for the gun before I could take it back.

Regular play next week and then Teens starting the 17th.

Dubs vs. Raptors (or 47 states vs. 3 states) tonight to mess up J! airings in the West.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am
The FJ! clue had me almost make Steven's mistake as I saw Albert, converted it to Alberta and wrote Edmonton. Fortunately, Biff gave me a rap on the head, "Think McFly!" and I moved a step over to fully match everything in the clue.
I definitely would've stopped at Edmonton just like Steven did.

duh, it's obviously not Victoria... Edmonton is next westernmost... hey, they're making it extra easy for us dumb Americans with the 'Albert' reference...

Not bothering to suppose that "Albert" was a trap, not a hint. ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Western" narrows it down to 4. Victoria in the clue eliminates, er, Victoria. Winnipeg makes no sense. Regina? Victoria -> queen -> Regina? That works. Albert -> Alberta -> Edmonton? Nah...Regina it is.

1/3 on the show. 0/3 and the Canadians would've been laughing at us again.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I should hope that I'd run the REALITY & GAME SHOW CATCHPHRASES category. I did.

Instaget FJ!.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pre-called regina..weeeeeeeeeeee
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Harbor. I didn't know there was just a "New York Harbor".

Ran Food Court, but didn't get Top Chef in the Reality category. I've only barely heard of it so I didn't really know what it was other than "TV show". However, guessing Wheel of Fortune when spotted "Whammys" was a howler.

I clammed on "Jane Pauley Graph" because I thought the "test" part was hinting at a school exam type of test, and i was trying to somehow turn "polygraph" into "scantron". I even said "polygraph" out loud and the "test" connection still didn't click.

NHO either name in If They Married for $400.

DJ! round was extremely tough for me. Those WERE tough crossword clues; NHO any of those words to my knowledge. I got only 3 right and 2 wrong.

Well, Victoria = BC, but Albert sounds like Alberta. I literally have no idea what to do here. Regina wasn't even on my radar, and even if it were, I wouldn't have grasped the Queen -> regal -> Regina connection in a million years.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

What an embarrassing FJ. Answered Vancouver :oops: :x :evil:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got there in the end, but only after considering Victoria, Calgary, and Edmonton.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 pm What an embarrassing FJ. Answered Vancouver :oops: :x :evil:
You are not alone.

However, I actually found the crossword clues to be extremely easy. (I do a lot of crosswords.)
Teems with quiet fun.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

immaf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:16 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 pm What an embarrassing FJ. Answered Vancouver :oops: :x :evil:
You are not alone.

However, I actually found the crossword clues to be extremely easy. (I do a lot of crosswords.)

i got 0 of those correct, but got the final jeopardy clue right
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Canadian calls it a tough FJ. Regina is a little obscure already for Americans. Victoria as capital of BC, Edmonton as capital of Alberta are very tempting. I got it, but there is no shame in saying either of those.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew the clue eliminated Victoria and Winnipeg city hall is on main street. Not too many people know that almost every street in Edmonton is numbered. That left me with Regina and I felt blessed by the Toms in the clue.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm This Canadian calls it a tough FJ. Regina is a little obscure already for Americans. Victoria as capital of BC, Edmonton as capital of Alberta are very tempting. I got it, but there is no shame in saying either of those.
Do you consider Saskatchewan and specifically Regina as "Western"? That was the part that threw me. I mean, it's definitely in the western HALF. But it seems more central to me. Would they have a clue about "this Western state capital" where the correct response was Denver? Maybe. Anyway, that's how far west Regina (almost) is.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am
boson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm This Canadian calls it a tough FJ. Regina is a little obscure already for Americans. Victoria as capital of BC, Edmonton as capital of Alberta are very tempting. I got it, but there is no shame in saying either of those.
Do you consider Saskatchewan and specifically Regina as "Western"? That was the part that threw me. I mean, it's definitely in the western HALF. But it seems more central to me. Would they have a clue about "this Western state capital" where the correct response was Denver? Maybe. Anyway, that's how far west Regina (almost) is.

#7970, aired 2019-04-12 MOOLAH $11,914 (Daily Double): The mint in this western city produces about half of U.S. coinage & is the USA's second-largest gold depository
#6621, aired 2013-06-03 OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $600: One of the official state songs of this western state was a top 10 hit for John Denver
#3747, aired 2000-12-12 HORSEY WORDS $300: Now part of the AFC's Western Division, this team started out as a charter member of the AFL in 1960
#3475, aired 1999-10-15 PLACE NAME PEOPLE $200: Not John or Bob but territorial governor James lent his name to this "elevated" western city

My search term was "denver western" and deleted the ones about the omelet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am
Spoiler
#7970, aired 2019-04-12 MOOLAH $11,914 (Daily Double): The mint in this western city produces about half of U.S. coinage & is the USA's second-largest gold depository
#6621, aired 2013-06-03 OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $600: One of the official state songs of this western state was a top 10 hit for John Denver
#3747, aired 2000-12-12 HORSEY WORDS $300: Now part of the AFC's Western Division, this team started out as a charter member of the AFL in 1960
#3475, aired 1999-10-15 PLACE NAME PEOPLE $200: Not John or Bob but territorial governor James lent his name to this "elevated" western city
My search term was "denver western" and deleted the ones about the omelet.
Nice! I followed your example to search for "regina western" and "saskatchewan western" both of which led to this clue:

#7743, aired 2018-04-18 "R" TOWN $1200: Once known as Pile O' Bones, in 1882 this western Canadian city was renamed in honor of Queen Victoria

That was a TS at the time. I got it because I know that "Pile O' Bones" fact cold.

I'll try to remember that Saskatchewan is western. That may be the cutoff though, though the paucity of Canada clues makes it hard to tell. Still, no clues call Manitoba or Winnipeg "western" (except for one that locates it in the Western Hemisphere). Similarly, no clues refer to Kansas City--sometimes called the easternmost city of the west--as western.

Seems like the west stretches considerably farther than the east. A quick check suggests that "eastern" can be stretched to Pittsburgh, but not to Cleveland.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Pressing(Said Lapidation instead.) and Becky Sharpe-Payne(Knew Becky Sharpe, didn't know who directed Sideways.))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Robert Langdon, Library, Jane Pauley Graf, Etui, Sten Gun, The Naked Maja, Santa Fe Trail

Santa Fe Trail a stumper?!?! :shock:

Robert Langdon another surprising stumper.
Douglas Squasoni