Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, June 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw Bob Seger earlier this year in concert, and he still had it. I agree that "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" is a gem, but my favorite is probably "Shame on the Moon".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am The whole left-handed crossword thing was counterintuitive to me -- when I do crosswords, I try to go as fast as possible, but do double check to maintain accuracy. In fact, at crossword tournaments, they give lefties an additional set of clues so we're not covering them up when we write in the grid. So it's definitely a disadvantage for a lefty when doing a crossword by hand.
I tend to jump around instead of starting in any given corner. I'm also left-handed.
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am Go in the next day dressed up all nice and Pretty Woman those salespeople.

Pretty Woman is a Julia Roberts movie, you should watch it to understand the context.
I doubt it'd work. I am at the exact size where literally no nice clothes fit me. The sweater I wore on Wheel felt like I was wearing a Hefty bag. I also think that I have the charisma of a dumpster full of meat on a hot day.
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 pm Remember that line about The Eagles in The Big Lebowski? That's how I feel about Bob Seger.
That's how I feel about Queen, ABBA, and AC/DC.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 pm Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I could swear I even heard a judge or two shout "No" after Emma rang in with "Asterisk".
You weren't just hearing things. I heard it too and was shocked at the DD that there wasn't a correction.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Emma came down hard on the d in mood to separate it from the d in disorder. That's all.
If she mistook Asterix for an asterisk she didn't hit the k very hard. It sounds more like Asteriss to me - not much of a French accent, but an acceptable response...
I never considered anyone but Woody Guthrie for FJ. Pete Seeger was a little younger and his fame didn't take off till the 40s. I associate both Steinbeck and Guthrie with the 30s. (I second the notion that Bound for Glory, which takes place in the 30s, is a great film.)
I don't believe Arlo Guthrie is more famous than his father, but at 71 he's lived a lot longer than his dad, who died at 55...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

davey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 pm I don't believe Arlo Guthrie is more famous than his father, but at 71 he's lived a lot longer than his dad, who died at 55...
Just in case anyone isn't aware of it: Woody died of Huntington's disease. Huntington's is an autosomal dominant genetic disorder, so Arlo had a 50% chance of inheriting it; fortunately, he didn't.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Pete Seeger was a banjo player, not a guitarist. I'll grant that he is probably the best wrong response to this clue, but that doesn't mean he's a good response.

As for the Bob Seger discussion, I think it misses the point of how the rules are enforced. Barbara Jones and Esther Jones were gold-medal-winning track athletes, but Ken Jennings is a household name because neither of them could have plausibly won multiple medals at the 2000 Olympics. I doubt there was a single person among the millions who watched this game who guessed Bob Seger for FJ; he's just not a plausible response. If Pete Seeger's first name were ever required, it would be to distinguish him from the other members of his very musical family, not from a musician with whom he has almost nothing in common except a homophone last name.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

davey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 pm Emma came down hard on the d in mood to separate it from the d in disorder. That's all....
I'm glad she made sure to get in that first "d".

I wouldn't have wanted to see her negged for "moo disorder", which is, btw, something to discuss with the vet.
OCSam
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 am
davey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 pm Emma came down hard on the d in mood to separate it from the d in disorder. That's all....

I wouldn't have wanted to see her negged for "moo disorder", which is, btw, something to discuss with the vet.
Hey, it would have been okay if that happened. Don't have a cow, man.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 am

Hey, it would have been okay if that happened. Don't have a cow, man.
Low blow.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

A Wray wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 am Pete Seeger was a banjo player, not a guitarist. I'll grant that he is probably the best wrong response to this clue, but that doesn't mean he's a good response.

As for the Bob Seger discussion, I think it misses the point of how the rules are enforced. Barbara Jones and Esther Jones were gold-medal-winning track athletes, but Ken Jennings is a household name because neither of them could have plausibly won multiple medals at the 2000 Olympics. I doubt there was a single person among the millions who watched this game who guessed Bob Seger for FJ; he's just not a plausible response. If Pete Seeger's first name were ever required, it would be to distinguish him from the other members of his very musical family, not from a musician with whom he has almost nothing in common except a homophone last name.
No, it was because in his game there were no special instructions to be more specific than usual. J! rules for names are very clear, and judgment calls about plausibility of alternative answers with same or homophonic last names play no role whatsoever.

It's a bit different with board clues, where BMS prompts are available, and sometimes they are bizarre (the prompt on VP Breckinridge in the 2006 TOC comes to mind).
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 pm
Steppenwolf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm For Final Jeopardy, I was torn between Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie (and chose the wrong one, of course). Other than knowing the actual quote, is there anything that would lead toward one rather than the other?
Steinbeck to Grapes of Wrath, to dust bowl, to Guthrie.
Perfect!! For anyone who didn't happen to know this factoid (i.e. 99.9% of us) your logical path was spot-on.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 pm
ChexMix wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm I feel like I remember(possibly from this board?) Someone once saying that in certain finals, instructions are sometimes given pre final that simply a surname is not sufficient. Does anyone know or have any indication that this may have happened? I'm assuming simply Guthrie would not have been accepted.
Seeing as how Emma's response could have been parsed as "(a) Guthrie", and it was ruled incorrect, leads me to believe that a first name or initial was required.
I seriously wondered about this part of the clue. If during the final break they specified "You must include first name" then that would have been a huge hint that they wanted a last name shared by more than one possibly correct answer (thus ruling out many other names). If they did NOT specify, they put themselves into an awful judging position (where a BMS would be required elsewhere in the game).

I kept wondering, if someone said simply "who is Guthrie," would that have been considered a correct response in this game?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 am Pete Seeger was a banjo player, not a guitarist. I'll grant that he is probably the best wrong response to this clue, but that doesn't mean he's a good response.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think Arlo Guthrie is an equally implausible response. They've accepted "Who is Johnson?" for LBJ and maybe for Andrew as well. They've even accepted "Who is Roosevelt?" for either Teddy or FDR or both. In those cases I have felt that the rules call for a BMS but there hasn't been one.

Do we know for sure that this FJ included a special instruction? Perhaps "Who is Guthrie?" would have been accepted.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Salome's total of $32,800 is the fourth-highest second place finish in Jeopardy! history, trailing only the scores obtained by James Holzhauer victims Nate Scheffey and Adam Levin (the latter of whom currently holds the title for highest second place finish period), and Ken Jennings victim Michael Cudahy.

I also realized upon rewatched that, if Emma had been right, Salome would probably be the recordholder for highest third-place finish on Jeopardy! . Though if one knows of a game where someone scored higher than that, that'd be great too. This game certainly got me curious of who holds the title of "most winningest third-place contestant" on Jeopardy.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Salome's total of $32,800 is the fourth-highest second place finish in Jeopardy! history, trailing only the scores obtained by James Holzhauer victims Nate Scheffey and Adam Levin (the latter of whom currently holds the title for highest second place finish period), and Ken Jennings victim Michael Cudahy.

I also realized upon rewatched that, if Emma had been right, Salome would probably be the recordholder for highest third-place finish on Jeopardy! . Though if one knows of a game where someone scored higher than that, that'd be great too. This game certainly got me curious of who holds the title of "most winningest third-place contestant" on Jeopardy.
First off, welcome to JBoard! :)

While Salomé's final score of $32,800 is in the top 1% for second-place finishers in a regular game, it doesn't even crack the top 20.

The top 10 as of June 6, 2019 are:

Code: Select all

DATE    |  SCORE  |    CONTESTANT
------------------------------------------
 2019-04-29 | $53,999 | Adam Levin
 2004-06-25 | $44,400 | Michael Cudahy
 2013-01-17 | $40,400 | Joan Blinn
 2008-05-27 | $40,399 | Jennifer Goldberg
 2004-01-21 | $38,800 | Kate Charron
 2010-03-23 | $38,399 | Kristian Zoerhoff
 2002-04-29 | $38,399 | Elizabeth Mouzon
 2011-11-23 | $38,200 | Steven Maio
 2008-12-18 | $38,200 | Stevie Benson
 2007-06-26 | $38,000 | Brian Lamb
Here are the equivalent highest scores for games in the J! Archive with the original clue values:

DATE    |  SCORE  |   CONTESTANT
----------------------------------------
 1998-03-10 | $23,000 | Steve Hettinger
 1998-03-12 | $22,000 | Andrew Hoenig
 1990-06-11 | $20,998 | Russ Harris
 1992-05-29 | $19,500 | Bernard Welt
I agree with your conjecture that Salomé's score would have been the highest ever for a third-place finisher. The current record is $31,999, achieved by Margaret Miles on April 15, 2016.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Salome's total of $32,800 is the fourth-highest second place finish in Jeopardy! history, trailing only the scores obtained by James Holzhauer victims Nate Scheffey and Adam Levin (the latter of whom currently holds the title for highest second place finish period), and Ken Jennings victim Michael Cudahy.

First off, welcome to JBoard! :)

While Salomé's final score of $32,800 is in the top 1% for second-place finishers in a regular game, it doesn't even crack the top 20.

The top 10 as of June 6, 2019 are:

DATE    |  SCORE  |    CONTESTANT
------------------------------------------
 2019-04-29 | $53,999 | Adam Levin
 2004-06-25 | $44,400 | Michael Cudahy
 2013-01-17 | $40,400 | Joan Blinn
 2008-05-27 | $40,399 | Jennifer Goldberg
 2004-01-21 | $38,800 | Kate Charron
 2010-03-23 | $38,399 | Kristian Zoerhoff
 2002-04-29 | $38,399 | Elizabeth Mouzon
 2011-11-23 | $38,200 | Steven Maio
 2008-12-18 | $38,200 | Stevie Benson
 2007-06-26 | $38,000 | Brian Lamb
Here are the equivalent highest scores for games in the J! Archive with the original clue values:

DATE    |  SCORE  |   CONTESTANT
----------------------------------------
 1998-03-10 | $23,000 | Steve Hettinger
 1998-03-12 | $22,000 | Andrew Hoenig
 1990-06-11 | $20,998 | Russ Harris
 1992-05-29 | $19,500 | Bernard Welt
I agree with your conjecture that Salomé's score would have been the highest ever for a third-place finisher. The current record is $31,999, achieved by Margaret Miles on April 15, 2016.
Thanks very much for welcoming me to the boards.

Also, very interesting data. I was unaware that there had been that many people who finished with $35K + that ended up in second place, so this was very fascinating to view. Thank you very much for the correction.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: I wonder if a calmer Emma, one who had bet at least $201 more on DD3, might have worked her way to the right response. This is a tough loss for someone who could have gone a lot farther.
I think she might have if she had written it down left-handed.
The whole left-handed crossword thing was counterintuitive to me -- when I do crosswords, I try to go as fast as possible, but do double check to maintain accuracy. In fact, at crossword tournaments, they give lefties an additional set of clues so we're not covering them up when we write in the grid. So it's definitely a disadvantage for a lefty when doing a crossword by hand.
What this could do is lead to a great moment if she ever makes the onstage finals at a crossword tournament, and dramatically reveals that she is not left-handed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:58 pmWhat this could do is lead to a great moment if she ever makes the onstage finals at a crossword tournament, and dramatically reveals that she is not left-handed.
I knew we kept you around for a reason.
AugieDB
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by AugieDB »

As someone who runs a site dedicated to reviewing Franco-Belgian comics, I'm siding with those who heard Emma say "Asterisk," which is definitely wrong.

The French version of the name has a different accent, but only in that the "I" sounds more like a long "E". So it's not an accent issue, either. She just said the wrong word.

I have the clip from the show on my website because, of course, I noticed. ;-)

https://www.pipelinecomics.com/how-jeop ... rix-wrong/

Emma would still lose, but there are arguments to be made that they should give Salome another chance...

-Augie