Monday, June 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY THEATER

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The final scene of this play takes place by a grave & includes the line “He had the wrong dreams”

Brendan Roach: 17800+17800=35600
Martin Kane: 18600+17001=35601 (New Champ)
Mary Fellman: 14400-14000=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Death of a Salesman (Mary – A Moon for the Misbegotten)

Daily Doubles
Martin: 3000+3000
Brendan: 7800+6000
Breandan: 18200-2000

Coryats
Brendan: 14600
Martin: 16200
Mary: 14400

Combined: 45,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brendan: 3800
Martin: 9000
Mary: 6800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Martin is from Martin (TN). cheezguyty: Any other players with a first name matching their hometown?

DD2: Brendan: 7800+6000 on the 8th clue with Martin at 11800 and Mary at 7600 clearly tagteaming him on the buzzer. The 1800 that Brendan saved could have come in handy for him at the end.

Scoreboard watching at the end was fun. The six $400 clues remained.

Brendan: 17800
Martin: 16600
Mary: 14000

The correct responses went : Martin, Martin, Martin (at that point it was 17800 each for the gentlemen with 3 clues left), Martin (takes the lead by $400), Mary, (still a chance for a tie) Martin again.

Brendan went 0/6 on top row clues. One get there could have been a tiebreaker.

Off the FJ! category my first instinct was the correct response though I added a bunch of other precalls to the mental list. When I saw the clue I joined the gentlemen for the solve as everything fit and nothing indicated to go elsewhere.

For going elsewhere Mary went off script with the O'Neill work. The Archive shows no hits for the FJ! round and if a regular clue wants the work there is handholding for only asking for the last word of the title while providing the rest. Mary needed a tie entering the FJ! round a more difficult clue for a wild win with $400.

The win totals are in a bear market making me expect Martin not to win tomorrow. On the other hand, with Brendan and Mary dispatched, Martin could have an easier game with those two capable players gone.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went Our Town on FJ, but switched to the right answer with plenty of time.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Tough luck for Brendan. Losing by just a single dollar has got to be heartbreaking.

That said, both Marin and Mary played a very good game today also, and Martin certainly deserved his victory. Much like Thursday's game, all three players on today's show deserve commencement for their great performance!
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed to death here, but what is the logic behind the FJ bets of Brendan and Mary?
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

It feels rare for a 2nd place contestant to double his/her score while the leader wins by exactly $1.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mechamind wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm It feels rare for a 2nd place contestant to double his/her score while the leader wins by exactly $1.
I think this is a pretty common loss scenario for the second-place player where the second-place player is between one-half and two-thirds of the leader's score pre-Final.
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

After looking back at some games in 2019 alone, I stand corrected.

Maybe it's just my hopes that any crushed player will at least leave $1 on the table (except if it's 1/2 or 2/3 exact, or the 2nd place prisoner's dilemma).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed to death here, but what is the logic behind the FJ bets of Brendan and Mary?
Oh, that's easy.

Brendan: "I'm behind and this is my last chance to catch up. I need big bucks to catch up and all-in is the biggest bucks I can bet. It may not be enough but at least I'm trying my hardest."

Mary: "I'm behind and this is my last chance to catch up. I need big bucks to catch up but I don't want to drop to zero if I miss. Maybe I'll become one of those lucky players who wins with a tiny amount."

Martin's shutout bet was completely predictable, but still the right move. Neither Brendan nor Mary attempted to predict that bet. Contestants almost never do. If they had, they would have left themselves at least $1600 on a miss. I don't think there was any reason not to. Brendan could have held back $6799 and still made the shutout bet against Mary. Mary didn't need to bet anything since her hopes were pinned to Martin and Brendan both missing, in which case they would drop below her score. But if she was worried that either of them would make a $0 bet (which statistically is wildly unlikely, especially for men) she could have hedged against that by wagering $4201 and still been in good shape on a triple-stumper.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Great game for me. 18 and 16 right, $27,800 Coryat.

Alex did a local bumper for a "rescan day" for people still watching via antenna, which I didn't even think was a thing anymore.

Was anyone else thrown by the wording on Entertainment for $200? Alex didn't emphasize the "he" very well, so I couldn't grasp what the clue was asking for.

I ran the Coincidence and Animal Talk categories, and was 4/5 in "C", Accent, and Ingenuity (missed Medivac, Macron, and Punch).

0/5 in Who Are They? and "Gold" Records. Didn't recognize any of the correct responses in the latter.

Somehow I failed to pull "Rio de Janiero" when spotted "Brazil" because my brain got stuck on trying to turn "Brasilia" into 3 words. No idea what made me glitch out there, since I usually pull the former instead of the latter when trying to remember that country's capital. Also TIL that it's Newcastle upon Tyne, not Tyre.

Absolutely no guess on FJ! I just had nothing to go on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 pm Was anyone else thrown by the wording on Entertainment for $200? Alex didn't emphasize the "he" very well, so I couldn't grasp what the clue was asking for.
Yep.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Didn't recall the president of France, but I knew what that line over a vowel was called right enough. Then I got cocky in the category and didn't pay attention to what a later clue wanted and said en-yay (ñ) instead of tilde (~). D'oh!

Brendan was one eyelid away from another win. The clue had me wondering, if the nictitating membrane is a third eyelid, what's the second? I felt like I was short more than one. But I guess the lower and upper lids are counted separately.

FJ was easy enough. They go to the Death of a Salesman well pretty frequently, it seems.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 pm Was anyone else thrown by the wording on Entertainment for $200? Alex didn't emphasize the "he" very well, so I couldn't grasp what the clue was asking for.
Yep.
Ditto. That clue needed some rewriting. It's a poorly written clue when you know the correct response but don't ring in because you don't realize that's what they're asking for. On the other hand, Mary rang in and got it right. So apparently the clue was parseable in real time.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 am Martin is from Martin (TN). cheezguyty: Any other players with a first name matching their hometown?
I could only find one: (Captain) Lawrence Indyk from Lawrence, Kansas.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was wondering where Mary was going with the far more obscure "Moon for the Misbegotten" as the writers hung one over the middle of the plate.
5/5 in accents & diacritical marks.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 pm But if she was worried that either of them would make a $0 bet (which statistically is wildly unlikely, especially for men) she could have hedged against that by wagering $4201 and still been in good shape on a triple-stumper.
...but only if the worry proved baseless.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 pm Didn't recall the president of France, but I knew what that line over a vowel was called right enough. Then I got cocky in the category and didn't pay attention to what a later clue wanted and said en-yay (ñ) instead of tilde (~). D'oh!
Speaking of that category, the way Alex said "pronounced TH" was something you'd expect of Alexa.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 am Martin is from Martin (TN). cheezguyty: Any other players with a first name matching their hometown?
I could only find one: (Captain) Lawrence Indyk from Lawrence, Kansas.
+1 thanks as always