Monday, June 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, June 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

DBear wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 pm I was wondering where Mary was going with the far more obscure "Moon for the Misbegotten" as the writers hung one over the middle of the plate.
One possible explanation could be that she was hoping the clue would turn out to be hard, although that explanation would work better if she had wagered properly.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 am For going elsewhere Mary went off script with the O'Neill work. The Archive shows no hits for the FJ! round and if a regular clue wants the work there is handholding for only asking for the last word of the title while providing the rest. Mary needed a tie entering the FJ! round a more difficult clue for a wild win with $400.
Yeah, that was a head scratcher.

I'd like to see them up the difficulty a notch on the theatre questions in FJ.

Sad to see the DD miss on the nictitating membrane. If he had bet $5-$100 on that one, he woulda had the lead going into Final, amiright??

Tie breaker denied
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Unfortunately we are back to the pre James school of wagering where a poor wager costs a contestant over $30k.

Perhaps it was me but the show's flow seemed to be disjointed today.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, June 10, 2019 Final wagers Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed to death here, but what is the logic behind the FJ bets of Brendan and Mary?
Martin's shutout bet was completely predictable, but still the right move. Neither Brendan nor Mary attempted to predict that bet. Contestants almost never do. If they had, they would have left themselves at least $1600 on a miss. I don't think there was any reason not to. Brendan could have held back $6799 and still made the shutout bet against Mary. Mary didn't need to bet anything since her hopes were pinned to Martin and Brendan both missing, in which case they would drop below her score. But if she was worried that either of them would make a $0 bet (which statistically is wildly unlikely, especially for men) she could have hedged against that by wagering $4201 and still been in good shape on a triple-stumper.
I placed Mary's optimum wager at $6800, Which would out score Brendan's optimum shortegy wager of $3399 per R-W-R.
That would still defeat Brendan's recommended shutout bet ($11,001) on a triple stumper.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 pm Brendan was one eyelid away from another win. The clue had me wondering, if the nictitating membrane is a third eyelid, what's the second? I felt like I was short more than one. But I guess the lower and upper lids are counted separately.
Until I saw this I'd been wondering what the point is of a third eyelid, for animals with only two eyes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I learned the third eyelid thing three ways: 1.) seeing them on my cat, 2.) reading about their functionality on camels in an article in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, and 3.) hearing it on an episode of The Angry Beavers of all things.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:45 pm Went Our Town on FJ, but switched to the right answer with plenty of time.
only play i can name...only know of it because it was featured in an episode of growing pains
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed to death here, but what is the logic behind the FJ bets of Brendan and Mary?
there is no logic...they were downright awful and typical wagers by contestants on this show...only thing i liked about holzhauer was that he understood wagering theory
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed to death here, but what is the logic behind the FJ bets of Brendan and Mary?
there is no logic...they were downright awful and typical wagers by contestants on this show...only thing i liked about holzhauer was that he understood wagering theory
And ol' Brendan seemed so excited when he bet it all and got it right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 pm But if she was worried that either of them would make a $0 bet (which statistically is wildly unlikely, especially for men) she could have hedged against that by wagering $4201 and still been in good shape on a triple-stumper.
...but only if the worry proved baseless.
Of course. If she's actually going up against a $0 bet, there's no wager she can make that will be give her the win on a triple-stumper. $4201 will prove just as useless as any other available bet.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I like aggressive DD bets, but I also understand there are situations where the bare minimum makes sense. What I will never understand is the random $1K, $2K, $3K wagers.

I read somewhere that one of the contestants who lost to Emma applied for the teacher’s tournament but the show decided to instead book him to potentially take on James because of his high scores on tests. I wonder if Monday’s winner has a similar story.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 pm
gnash wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 pm But if she was worried that either of them would make a $0 bet (which statistically is wildly unlikely, especially for men) she could have hedged against that by wagering $4201 and still been in good shape on a triple-stumper.
...but only if the worry proved baseless.
Of course. If she's actually going up against a $0 bet, there's no wager she can make that will be give her the win on a triple-stumper. $4201 will prove just as useless as any other available bet.
I guess a better framing is that she would hope for a zero bet by the leader, rather than worry about it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I just remembered my other thought from this game. Mary caught a rough break and Martin got some free rebound money when she carefully enunciated "San Luis Opispo". If only she'd said that quickly, she'd have been fine. This was before DD2 and DD3, so its effect on the outcome of the game is unknown.

I used to be fairly proficient in Spanish and I've been to San Luis Obispo several times, but Obispo = Bishop felt like new information to me. I wonder if I really NHOI or if it's yet another fact that I've forgotten so completely that I might as well never have known it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Guns, Germs, and Steel; and San Luis Obispo(NHO the city and never learned the Spanish for Bishop.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mike Myers, Fool's Gold, Gold Mine, (Eyelid)

Nictitating Membrane was all I needed to get DD #3.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:43 pm 58 R (Missed Guns, Germs, and Steel; and San Luis Obispo(NHO the city and never learned the Spanish for Bishop.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mike Myers, Fool's Gold, Gold Mine, (Eyelid)

Nictitating Membrane was all I needed to get DD #3.
San Luis Obispo instantly brought back memories of my youth and the family vacation drives down south for Universal Studios & Disneyland. Reaching that city meant the journey was more than half complete though still had a ways to go.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm I used to be fairly proficient in Spanish and I've been to San Luis Obispo several times, but Obispo = Bishop felt like new information to me. I wonder if I really NHOI or if it's yet another fact that I've forgotten so completely that I might as well never have known it.
I don't ever recall hearing of the Obispo=bishop link myself.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm I used to be fairly proficient in Spanish and I've been to San Luis Obispo several times, but Obispo = Bishop felt like new information to me. I wonder if I really NHOI or if it's yet another fact that I've forgotten so completely that I might as well never have known it.
I don't ever recall hearing of the Obispo=bishop link myself.
Let's hope we both remember now, eh? If we say the same thing two years from now and someone posts a link to this conversation, it's going to be embarrassing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew obispo = bishop somehow. But I somehow went at least 10 years without ever learning the Spanish word for "both". How do I speak that much Spanish and never learn or use the word for "both"?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I precalled Salt Lake City for three word cities. They put it in a complete giveaway clue in the $200 box. I would have made it a daily double with this clue: "the only state capital that fits this category."

Was Brendan doomed when he contradicted Alex about crime in DC?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm I knew obispo = bishop somehow. But I somehow went at least 10 years without ever learning the Spanish word for "both". How do I speak that much Spanish and never learn or use the word for "both"?
Google translate says "ambos" which doesn't look at all familiar to me. But as a second offering it suggests "los dos" which sounds VERY familiar.