Tuesday, June 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:32 pm It's amazing that we've had five consecutive new champs win $35,000+ on their first appearance, but there hasn't been a 5-time champion since James lost. I'm hoping Dan goes on to be a 5-day champ, or I hope there'll be 5-day champ anytime before the current season wraps up.
Umm, including today's match there've only been 6 games since James lost (7 if you include the game in which he was defeated). How is it amazing that he wasn't immediately followed by a 5xer?
I was only saying it was amazing that there were 5 consecutive contestants winning $35,000 or more on their first appearances on the show. But I was kind of disappointed that Brendan Roach didn't go on a streak, and Martin Kane was defeated on today's episode. Some of us anticipated that Emma would go on a streak because she won 3-games after dethroning James; she was the first giant killer to win her next games after defeating a super-champion but lost to Brendan on her fourth game.

I am certainly hoping that before the season concludes late next month, someone will become the first 5-time champion after James was defeated. But don't anticipate that in the near future that we see another contestant use James' variation of the Forrest Bounce, bet aggressively, or even use important dates as wagers in Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy! responses.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am Yikes, Dan's interview. Between himself and the staff person who goes over the chat stories that should not have happened. Dan's 18-month-old likes the opening of J!, the music and Johnny's introduction, but then Alex comes out and the show is just not as good. :o It got a laugh and Alex looked right into the camera saying nothing as he moved on to talk to Martin.
That was pure gold. They chose the right anecdote for Dan's first and potentially only contestant interview. That said, they really need to hire me as an interview coach. When Alex asks why your 18-month-old only likes the first two minutes of Jeopardy!, the correct response is, "After that, the questions get too hard." But that's quibbling. Dan's interview went over perfectly with Alex doing a marvelous job of playing along.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm I feel for Martin a bit - had the game close to sewn up, then get blitzed at the last minute. Way to go Dan though for a great last surge and for making the absolutely correct play on DD3.
Yeah, that's the place where, like you, I feel for Martin. SO MANY contestants would not have wagered to get ahead on that DD. If I'm Martin, I'm thinking, "WHYYYYYY did I have to go up against the one that did?"

Kudos to Martin for making a great wager from second. The only thing that stood between him and another victory was a WECIB FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Like Dan, I said "seppuku" but worried a little bit that they were looking for "hara-kiri". I'm not entirely clear on the distinction or if, at least for J! purposes, they're interchangeable.

When the clue asked for "this tax prep firm," did anyone else shout out "What is Fed Ex?!?!!?"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am Alex had no idea how to complete the category combination of:
BABY
SHARP
"DOO", "DOO" "DOO", "DOO", "DOO", "DOO"

He will have company with some on this board who have never see the source:
Spoiler

That's 2.8 billion with a "B" views.
Funnier was the contestant shortening to ask for "Doo" "Doo" for $600. :lol:

Yikes, Dan's interview. Between himself and the staff person who goes over the chat stories that should not have happened. Dan's 18-month-old likes the opening of J!, the music and Johnny's introduction, but then Alex comes out and the show is just not as good. :o It got a laugh and Alex looked right into the camera saying nothing as he moved on to talk to Martin.

The FJ! clue was an embarrassment for me as I spent the break working off LANDMARKS to never once consider anything outside the U.S. during the several minutes. Fortunately, the reveal of the clue made it easy to switch gears to match the contestants. That had to go 3/3.

What gave Dan the necessary lead?

Dan got clue 24 to make the game:
Martin: 19800
Dan: 11000
Terri: 3800

BUSINESS remained and had a DD.

With control Dan picked $400. :roll:
Martin got it and selected $1200.
Terri got it and chose $1600
Dan got it and picked $2000 (stumper)
Dan had last box available at $800 for the DD. Trailing 20200 to 12600 he went for the lead with 8000.

Martin had one pick in the category and seemed to do the right thing in picking a higher value clue and today it did not work out. DD2's wager of 10800+4200 is more than some players would do though with hindsight Martin needed a lot more to assure the lead at the end of the round.

From 32 wins to 3 to 2 to 1 I will not predict a three-way tie for the FJ! round tomorrow and a triple miss clue with farm wagers to clear the contestant slate. We'll see if the carousel is getting greased up though as Dan needed that big DD play to prevail.
dude needs to tune into some texas rangers home games and pay attention when elvis andrus walks to the plate
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The FJ clue is the exact quote the pops up when finishing the Taj Mahal in Civilization V 8-)
Marquette & Joliet were an easy 2K trash pickup.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm

No guess on FJ! I didn't see a single TOM in this anywhere. I don't see how Taj Mahal = teardrop, either. Anyone wanna explain how this was a triple get?
Rabindranath is a very obviously Indian name, and what other "timeless" landmarks are famously associated with India?
pretty much how i got there...only landmark i can name in india is the taj mahal
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm I feel for Martin a bit - had the game close to sewn up, then get blitzed at the last minute. Way to go Dan though for a great last surge and for making the absolutely correct play on DD3.

RE: Champs Carousel -- Trends probably show that after an ultra-champ we're due for a string of one and two day winners, I'll be real curious to see what transpires moving forward.

Agree with some others here, WECIB FJ.
sort of like my dfs punch to the gut moment from the other saturday....was in line for 300 bucks on a 25 cent entry and both closers in the brewers/pirates game blew their 1st saves of the year...go from 300 bucks to 2 dollars all because of fluky bs
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am Yikes, Dan's interview. Between himself and the staff person who goes over the chat stories that should not have happened. Dan's 18-month-old likes the opening of J!, the music and Johnny's introduction, but then Alex comes out and the show is just not as good. :o It got a laugh and Alex looked right into the camera saying nothing as he moved on to talk to Martin.
That was pure gold. They chose the right anecdote for Dan's first and potentially only contestant interview. That said, they really need to hire me as an interview coach. When Alex asks why your 18-month-old only likes the first two minutes of Jeopardy!, the correct response is, "After that, the questions get too hard." But that's quibbling. Dan's interview went over perfectly with Alex doing a marvelous job of playing along.
i'd go with because the child does not like dudes who sound pompous doing accents
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 pm The FJ clue is the exact quote the pops up when finishing the Taj Mahal in Civilization V 8-)
Marquette & Joliet were an easy 2K trash pickup.
never knew joliet was an explorer...my only experience with joliet is the city in illinois and only know it because of the underground tape trading days of death metal in the late 80s and early 90s...there was a band called "morgue" with whom i corresponded a lot that was from that place
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm Like Dan, I said "seppuku" but worried a little bit that they were looking for "hara-kiri". I'm not entirely clear on the distinction or if, at least for J! purposes, they're interchangeable.
They're the exact same thing.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm RE: Champs Carousel -- Trends probably show that after an ultra-champ we're due for a string of one and two day winners, I'll be real curious to see what transpires moving forward.
But is that a longer-than-average string or is it just regression to the mean?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 am This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bob, could you give us a refresher (perhaps in a separate thread?) on the difference between the strong, intermediate and weak forms? I can't remember the definitions and, last time I checked, the Archive link pointed to the long-gone thread on the Sony board.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm Like Dan, I said "seppuku" but worried a little bit that they were looking for "hara-kiri". I'm not entirely clear on the distinction or if, at least for J! purposes, they're interchangeable.
The first dictionary I checked said that seppuku and hara-kiri are the same, so that's good enough for me...
But this page suggests a subtle difference-
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... nd-Seppuku
By this, seppuku is probably the more correct word for Mishima's death. I'm still accepting hara-kiri.
Here's one-
Any reason I can't go with ironing pleats instead of creases...?
Rabindranath Tagore won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913...a good reason to know a little bit about him, besides what his name sounds like... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am The FJ! clue was an embarrassment for me as I spent the break working off LANDMARKS to never once consider anything outside the U.S. during the several minutes. Fortunately, the reveal of the clue made it easy to switch gears to match the contestants.
Kinda funny, I was thinking how American-centric it is to use a Bengali poet as a hint for the location of a landmark in the western corner of Utar Pradesh.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 pm Any reason I can't go with ironing pleats instead of creases...?
I think you're good. Even if they're different things, pants can have both, and both can be ironed to make them sharp. I'm guessing the worst you'd have to endure is a "We'll accept that. Pleats or creases. Ok" by which Alex lets everyone know that you didn't give the "real" answer.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm Kinda funny, I was thinking how American-centric it is to use a Bengali poet as a hint for the location of a landmark in the western corner of Utar Pradesh.
They could've gone with Kipling's description of the Taj Mahal as "the embodiment of all things pure."

EDIT: In chasing down that quote, I found the longer version quite fascinating-- "It was the Ivory Gate through which all good dreams come; it was the realization of the gleaming halls of dawn that Tennyson sighs of; it was veritably the 'aspiration fixed,' the 'sigh made stone' of a lesser poet; and over and above concrete comparisons, it seemed the embodiment of all things pure, all things holy, and all things unhappy.''
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Hats off to Dan for his DD3 wager, but might it have better for him to make it a true daily double? He would have had $25,200 vs. $20,000 and $5000. With the standard $14,800 bet, he would be well positioned in a TS against anything but an all-in bet from third (or if she left $200 or less).
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am The FJ! clue was an embarrassment for me as I spent the break working off LANDMARKS to never once consider anything outside the U.S. during the several minutes. Fortunately, the reveal of the clue made it easy to switch gears to match the contestants.
Kinda funny, I was thinking how American-centric it is to use a Bengali poet as a hint for the location of a landmark in the western corner of Utar Pradesh.
I was trying to come up with a Bengali landmark and failed (I inherited a book of Tagore's poems from my grandmother). So, this was a clue where ignorance paid off.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 pm
threearruda wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm RE: Champs Carousel -- Trends probably show that after an ultra-champ we're due for a string of one and two day winners, I'll be real curious to see what transpires moving forward.
But is that a longer-than-average string or is it just regression to the mean?
The only answer I have is that I'm not a data expert. :lol: You might be right in that we just go back to normal.

I posted that blurb in response to the discussion of the carousel earlier in the thread, and my general "eye-test" observation that a big win streak sometimes means that the next 5x champ could be a ways off. There was a six-month drought between Matt Jackson (13x) and Andrew Pau, a several-month drought between Julia Collins (20x) and Vaughn Winchell, a ~three-month drought between Austin Rogers (12x) and Gilbert Collins, and I'm sure there are more examples.

Of course, the eye test is certainly flawed, and the next five day champ could start playing tomorrow for all we know. As MB mentioned in his opening post, though, we are on our fourth champ now in the past half-dozen shows. Who knows! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host