New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My thanks to Reddit user oksothisgame, who reached out to Andy and got us this game, March 20, 1990, Peter Bass vs. Mike Duffy vs. champ Mark Shrager. It's a dilly.

New to the J! canon as responses are the name of the state song of Maryland, and the 16th century architect Palladio, who has appeared in the text of a handful of clues. Note that all 3 players guessed wrong on the architect, leading Alex to point out "You all lost the same amount of money". No "No harm, no foul" at this point, at least not on this occasion.

BOOKS & AUTHORS in DJ! had a pair of clues with abbreviations in them. This is the only mention in the archive of Robin Moore, author of a book about a narcotics investigation that was turned into a Best Picture Oscar-winner
Spoiler
What is The French Connection?
, so of course I spelled out that name in a note. I also noted the spelled out forms of the otherwise reasonably obvious words in this clue, if only so they would be indexed by the J-Archive search.
$1000 N.H.'s rock formation "The Old Man of the Mtn." was made famous in this N. Hawthorne tale
Spoiler
What is The Great Stone Face?
This is the first clue to be entered into the Archive with that title as a response, although it also comes up as a nickname for Buster Keaton. Unrelated, thanks to the J-Archive search, I see that all 3 words (4 if you count "The") of that title appear in various clues in the Jeopardy! round.

Clue of the game will be the Daily Double at FIRST LADIES for $1000, for which the wrong guess (mine and Mike's and many others, I'm guessing) would likely out-poll the correct response.
The only president & first lady who were born in the same small town
Spoiler
Who are the Carters? (Not the Trumans.)
And then we have Final Jeopardy. My apologies if you follow me on Facebook and got spoiled to the response. I got it right, with no certainty, and then once it was confirmed, I worked out when the word came from, sort of. If anyone speaks Italian, and can tell me what Alex might have meant (the Archive quote is phonetically accurate, but it doesn't match any of the online dictionaries I've checked), let me know.
WORD ORIGINS: Word derived from the act of breaking up a failed Italian moneylender's market bench
Spoiler
Both Mark and Mike came up with the correct word, but "for the first time in a year and a half", as Alex put it, Mike neglected his phrasing, and Mark finished with the win. Rough loss for Mike, lucky break for Mark.

I might go back and finish the 2002 game I was working on before the afternoon is over, we'll see. Have a good weekend.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

From a couple sources I read, It comes from banca rotta, Italian for broken bench. No way of knowing what Alex actually said.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:19 pm My thanks to Reddit user oksothisgame, who reached out to Andy and got us this game, March 20, 1990, Peter Bass vs. Mike Duffy vs. champ Mark Shrager. It's a dilly.
I forgot the link. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6298 I also forgot to mention that Mark Shrager answered the question about the East German currency the East Mark.

----
And I just finished this one: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1750

April 24, 2002, Lisa Kerwin vs. Vicki Aken vs. Nathan Chan.

Thanks to the LARRY, MOE, or CURLY category we can add the mining town of Moe in Australia, Olympic skier Tommy Moe, and video game legend Leisure Suit Larry to the Jeopardy Canon. Lily Tomlin as the Incredible Shrinking Woman and Daryl Hannah as the attacking 50 Ft. Woman were both already there a couple times each, interestingly enough. This is the third clue to ask for the author of "Salammbo", and the third clue to mention he also wrote "Madame Bovary".

Clue of the game will be K.C. for $2000, which you should add to your Pavlov flashcards for artists:
You can visit the Kansas City home and studio of this artist whose work is seen here
Spoiler
Who is Thomas Hart Benton? (Missouri + artist (+ mural))
I was surprised that the FJ! in RECENT HISTORY was a triple stumper.
In 1993 this country of over 35 million people had 2 official languages; now it has 11
Spoiler
What is South Africa. "11 languages" is a Pavlov for me.
Have a good night.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 am And I just finished this one: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1750

This is the third clue to ask for the author of "Salammbo", and the third clue to mention he also wrote "Madame Bovary".
Did it really spell it that way and not Salammbô, with the circumflex over the final o. (It's ok if you tell me to buzz off because you don't feel like checking the tape.)

This game has a tie-in to a recent discussion in the TPH thread. DJ category: A "WOMAN" OF THE MOVIES. $400 clue: "1990:
Julia Roberts".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 amDid it really spell it that way and not Salammbô, with the circumflex over the final o.
I'll let Myron answer but while noting that Jeopardy! virtually always drops diacritical marks from words in clues.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 amThanks to the LARRY, MOE, or CURLY category we can add ... video game legend Leisure Suit Larry to the Jeopardy Canon.
This really surprised me (that LSL wasn't in the Archive already) but I imagine it's because the game is recent enough that I remember the game and/or remember it being discussed on the old official board.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/16/91 F1 for the 1991 CC: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6315

Player pics of Tim Lakin, and André Duvoisin. Scott Gillispie's pic is in the Archive.
Spoiler
Myron: I made an executive decision to add this game first before the F2 with the category you wanted as it made sense to me to get the finals in complete while the tape was cued at the end.

Andy: As you can see, Scott had an error on the first clue he was heard from. If he has a clean sheet in F2 it will be a pretty good stretch coupled with his ToC for no unforced errors.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 am And I just finished this one: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1750

This is the third clue to ask for the author of "Salammbo", and the third clue to mention he also wrote "Madame Bovary".
Did it really spell it that way and not Salammbô, with the circumflex over the final o. (It's ok if you tell me to buzz off because you don't feel like checking the tape.)
That's easy enough to check:

No circumflex.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Having just seen Muffy Marracco Morris on the premiere episode of Best Ever Trivia Show, I was wondering if anyone has her J! games to put in the Archive sometime (she was in the Feb. 1992 Teen Tournament)?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:32 pm Having just seen Muffy Marracco Morris on the premiere episode of Best Ever Trivia Show, I was wondering if anyone has her J! games to put in the Archive sometime (she was in the Feb. 1992 Teen Tournament)?
Earlier today I would have said, "Yes, I have her game (she did not make semis, right?)." While working on 1991 College F2 to input tomorrow I discovered it was only a partial of the J! round for a very disappointing surprise.

For this week I'm next doing the requested 1994 Teen game and then I am going to work on 1987 Seniors having two games with my papers ready for Q1 & Q3. With the expectation I have the Muffy game look for it on Monday the 17th.

For Best Ever Trivia Show I will start a new thread as a good place to make comments and keep discussion in one place. Nothing wrong with your mention of the new show though I would not want to step on any spoilers early since it does not come on here for me until 4 as well, three hours after the EDT airing.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Mark's link to Saran Fox's games in another thread reminded me of one of my favorite oddities from when I was prepping to get on the show.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2064

The April 5, 2000 game had the category HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED followed by BOB DYLAN. (It's one of his album titles, for those who might not make the connection. Then a couple weeks later, April 27, we get BLONDE ON BLONDE, another Dylan title. (The category was quotes from blondes about other blondes.) This has all the hallmarks of an abandoned theme board, but I haven't been able to find 3 more categories in any of the surrounding games. I tried SELF PORTRAIT, NASHVILLE SKYLINE, and INFIDELS as likely candidates, but no dice.

(That game had another mini-theme, classic rock albums, in that it started with A DAY AT THE RACES, with A NIGHT AT THE OPERA appearing in round 2.)

I also have a memory of a game where the contestants were required to take it in order, and the first 4 responses were single letters that spelled out a word ("Quiz" maybe?) but they didn't get to clue #5. Maybe one day I'll catalog all these memories of unusual events from the first 10 years or so that I half remember.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 pm I added 5/16/91 F1 for the 1991 CC: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6315

Player pics of Tim Lakin, and André Duvoisin. Scott Gillispie's pic is in the Archive.
Spoiler
Myron: I made an executive decision to add this game first before the F2 with the category you wanted as it made sense to me to get the finals in complete while the tape was cued at the end.

Andy: As you can see, Scott had an error on the first clue he was heard from. If he has a clean sheet in F2 it will be a pretty good stretch coupled with his ToC for no unforced errors.
Re: Andre: Interesting note about him, in the 2004 This is Jeopardy! book it mentions that he made a marriage proposal, to which the lucky lady said yes.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 pm Mark's link to Saran Fox's games in another thread reminded me of one of my favorite oddities from when I was prepping to get on the show.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2064

The April 5, 2000 game had the category HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED followed by BOB DYLAN. (It's one of his album titles, for those who might not make the connection. Then a couple weeks later, April 27, we get BLONDE ON BLONDE, another Dylan title. (The category was quotes from blondes about other blondes.) This has all the hallmarks of an abandoned theme board, but I haven't been able to find 3 more categories in any of the surrounding games. I tried SELF PORTRAIT, NASHVILLE SKYLINE, and INFIDELS as likely candidates, but no dice.
Less likely candidates include BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, SLOW TRAIN COMING, and SAVED. (Actually, SAVED works as a category but somehow I don't see the writers going for it from within a Dylan theme.) LOVE & THEFT, and MODERN TIMES would make fine categories, but the albums postdate this game.

Sounds like maybe the theme board got abandoned before all the categories were completed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jlgarfield wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 pm I added 5/16/91 F1 for the 1991 CC: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6315

Spoiler

Re: Andre: Interesting note about him, in the 2004 This is Jeopardy! book it mentions that he made a marriage proposal, to which the lucky lady said yes.
Looking at that page in the book after your mention, I noticed Andre's last name is shown as DuVoisin instead of the Duvoisin I gave him for the Archive. I have made the change. Thanks for the helpful mention.

The proposal did not happen in F1 or F2, so I'll add a mention whenever I do the QF or SF game that has it.

For today I added what I had of the 1991 CC F2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6317

Unfortunately, my tape only had the first 20 clues. Unlike other partials I have this was not a case of recording something else over part of a regular play game. My scoresheet shows I played the complete game meaning no problem with the airing, so something must have happened between the connection of the TV to the VCR. I was able to watch the game and play along while not finding out until today that the recording itself somehow went haywire in the J! round.

I hate that it happened though there is nothing I can do about it except move on. F2 of tourneys are the kinds of things that other people recorded and it's not an early early season so there is hope the rest might turn up from somewhere or someone at a later time.

I'm optimistic this was a very unusual fluke and that I'll be adding complete games (other than perhaps a clipped opening) in the future. [Fingers crossed]

The good news is that the request for the Twin Peaks category has been met. The bad news is no miss from Scott so he still has an undetermined streak of clues played without a ring-in error.

DS9 request coming tomorrow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A article posted on Reddit brought up an unusual tidbit regarding Season 13/14 return player Pat Pauken. Per the Archive, "Pat appeared on Jeopardy! on 1997-01-21 and lost. Alex gave no explanation for his return to the show [in 1998]."

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/answer-c ... 79b38.html

According to this article, they brought him back because his signaling device malfunctioned, and the game was close enough they couldn't be sure he wouldn't have won. That's the first time we know of that happening, right? The game in question doesn't feel that close, but he does have a string of more than 15 clues without ringing in which includes a Daily Double, so the argument could be made. On the other hand, he missed FJ and the champ got it, so you can easily argue the other way too. I'd say bring him back on a malfunction even if it wasn't close.

The only other major malfunction I know of was (I think) mentioned back on alt.tv.game-shows, when they had to scrap an entire round of (I think) the 1999 College Championship due to some kind of taping error (I think). Or maybe they didn't.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pmhe does have a string of more than 15 clues without ringing in which includes a Daily Double
Not only that, but he had a decent lead up until the broken-buzzer period, despite missing both of the prior DDs, which he found.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

More about players brought back in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3072
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pm A article posted on Reddit brought up an unusual tidbit regarding Season 13/14 return player Pat Pauken. Per the Archive, "Pat appeared on Jeopardy! on 1997-01-21 and lost. Alex gave no explanation for his return to the show [in 1998]."

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/answer-c ... 79b38.html

According to this article, they brought him back because his signaling device malfunctioned, and the game was close enough they couldn't be sure he wouldn't have won. That's the first time we know of that happening, right? The game in question doesn't feel that close, but he does have a string of more than 15 clues without ringing in which includes a Daily Double, so the argument could be made. On the other hand, he missed FJ and the champ got it, so you can easily argue the other way too. I'd say bring him back on a malfunction even if it wasn't close.
This immediately makes me wonder if there's a good way to surreptitiously sabotage the device. That way if I get on the show and have a long period toward the end where I'm outbuzzed, I can break my buzzer and then call Maggie over before FJ to say I think the thing stopped working 15 clues ago.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/15/94 TT S2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6319

Player pics of E.J. Sieracki, Matt Morris and Gerry Tansey:
Spoiler
The DS9 category is now in the Archive.

I wonder how many times in 25 years Gerry has come across the FJ! clue material that cost him a spot in the finals?

I wonder if E.J. ever got called "narc" or "Jump St." during his high school years? I bet he could have followed a teacher into the break room and not stood out as suspicious.

It was funny to come across that nictitating clue so soon after one in current play on Monday.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

That's a Baader-Meinhof for me - I can't remember ever seeing or hearing the name E.J. before today's game, and here another one pops up, and in similar context no less.