Wednesday, June 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POPULAR PRODUCTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This product that brought virtual tourism into homes in 1939 introduced its first virtual reality device in 2015

Dan Martson: 15800-13001=2799
Ben Hatch: 200-116=84
EJ Wolborsky: 14400+14400=28800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
View-Master (Dan – Occulus) (Ben – Sarah queen of hotness [his wife, not CC member]) (E.J. - Kodak Viewmaster)

Daily Doubles
E.J.: 1000-1000
Dan: 12000-3000
E.J.: 14600-5000

Coryats
Dan: 18800
Ben: 200
EJ: 20400

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dan: 8800
Ben: 1000
EJ: 6600

Edited to make it more clear what E.J had for his response.
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The gentlemen were 1/6 on big clues. E.J. had the one hit to take the title although he had several ways to have lost the game. Nice crossout to save the game for him with his farm wager in the FJ! round.

Dan got the hot start with running DON'T BE AFRAID IT'S ONLY FOOTBALL. Nice try, writers. No Fensters in this bunch as Ben's chat was about college football. Anyone could have run the category since the bottom box was knowing what CFL stood for. :lol:

Dan was able to overcome losing 3000 on DD2 thanks to E.J. losing even more with his $5000 on DD3. Dan was set up for the victory with the slight lead yet could not solve a FJ! clue he will hear about from many others in his life solving as it's that type of Americana familiar to many.

I'm the right age and was done with the FJ! clue before the music began. Like Magic 8 Ball, Silly Putty, Slinky, etc. those products can be right up someone's alley for a clue or be the opposite and just not there based a different type of background.

I can go an extra step to having the clue unmissable as years ago I helped out a family friend by taking his collection of reels (he would buy them on trips) and his projector to transfer them to VHS using a camcorder to record the images shown from the projector.

E.J. needs to relax and turn down the intensity meter one notch for tomorrow. Please. He reminded me of an unfunny Adam Scott.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

How can a product introduce a device? I don't think this was a well-written FJ clue, if EJ's answer is to be deemed correct.

The 2015 device was released by Mattel -- not by EJ's answer -- in collaboration with Google. It required you to insert your smartphone to have a VR experience. This followed the 2010 introduction by Hasbro of a similar device that required an iPhone or iPod touch to supply the stereoscopic VR content. The 2015 Mattel VR product wasn't even close to being the "first virtual reality device," nor was it the first VR device based on stereoscopy. It was simply Mattel's first VR device, to which the company gave the 1939-vintage brand name (which it had owned since 1997 after merging with Tyco).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm How can a product introduce a device? I don't think this was a well-written FJ clue, if EJ's answer is to be deemed correct.

The 2015 device was released by Mattel -- not by EJ's answer -- in collaboration with Google. It required you to insert your smartphone to have a VR experience. This followed the 2010 introduction by Hasbro of a similar device that required an iPhone or iPod touch to supply the stereoscopic VR content. The 2015 Mattel VR product wasn't even close to being the "first virtual reality device," nor was it the first VR device based on stereoscopy. It was simply Mattel's first VR device, to which the company gave the 1939-vintage brand name it acquired in 1997 after merging with Tyco.
E.J. crossed out Kodak and that was not his response if that is part of your confusion. E.J. had the correct expected response as shown first before the player responses.

If you are in addition also suggesting there is no true correct response then that is a different point and have at it.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm How can a product introduce a device? I don't think this was a well-written FJ clue, if EJ's answer is to be deemed correct.

The 2015 device was released by Mattel -- not by EJ's answer -- in collaboration with Google. It required you to insert your smartphone to have a VR experience. This followed the 2010 introduction by Hasbro of a similar device that required an iPhone or iPod touch to supply the stereoscopic VR content. The 2015 Mattel VR product wasn't even close to being the "first virtual reality device," nor was it the first VR device based on stereoscopy. It was simply Mattel's first VR device, to which the company gave the 1939-vintage brand name it acquired in 1997 after merging with Tyco.
E.J. crossed out Kodak and that was not his response if that is part of your confusion. E.J. had the correct expected response as shown first before the player responses.

If you are in addition also suggesting there is no true correct response then that is a different point and have at it.
Kodak would have been incorrect. What is my "confusion"? Please explain. The product EJ mentioned in FJ was for many years manufactured by Sawyer's, Inc. and after various buy-outs and mergers its brand name was applied to a device Mattel released in 2015. Adding to the problem is that the 1939 and 2015 items can both be called products and can both be called devices. It's an implausible stretch to suggest that one could introduce the other. Strictly speaking, looking at precise clue wording and actual product history, I don't think there's a correct answer, though it seems clear that the writers were looking for EJ's answer.

As I wrote, it's a poorly worded clue. Even the way it handles the 1939 date might be seen as a misdirection, as the product had existed before that year, but was given a big new push at the 1939 World's Fair in New York -- a fair that was not held in people's homes. EJ's answer is the only plausible one, but there are several avenues by which a knowledgeable and literal-minded contestant could have rejected the correct answer as not fitting the clue.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 pm
As I wrote, it's a poorly worded clue. Even the way it handles the 1939 date might be seen as a misdirection, as the product had existed before that year, but was given a big new push at the 1939 World's Fair in New York -- a fair that was not held in people's homes. EJ's answer is the only plausible one, but there are several avenues by which a knowledgeable and literal-minded contestant could have rejected the correct answer as not fitting the clue.
According to Wikipedia, "The View-Master system was introduced in 1939, four years after the advent of Kodachrome color film made the use of small high-quality photographic color images practical." (emphasis added)

I agree that the writing of the clue has poor syntax, but I don't think the writing would have steered anyone away from the correct response.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't find anything to suggest the Model A viewer was sold prior to 1939. The patent (2,189,285) was applied for on January 20th of that year. The fact that the earliest Model A was manufactured with the marking "PAT.APPLD.FOR" suggests no ViewMasters were fabricated prior to that date.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Rules, War Literature, Our Planet, Presidential, and the entire right half of the DJ! board.

I usually do well in animal categories, but the "Our Planet" one ate my lunch today. The clues just somehow didn't click.

What was the TOM for Civil War in War for $200? The US was in a lot of wars and I saw nothing to narrow it down.

My mom actually had an old Viewmaster that I remember having slides from tourist attractions, so this was an instaget for me.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

Wow is it frustrating knowing and picturing the correct answer in your brain, only to draw a blank on the object’s actual name.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Got FJ right after about 10 seconds with maybe 70% confidence, and a shrug. "Virtual tourism"? I'm sure that's accurate but if you asked me before tonight to describe the thing I played with as a kid 30 years ago, that term wouldn't have come to mind. Maybe I just had the wrong kind of pictures in it. But thinking of VR headsets and what the hell kind of "virtual" anything could exist in 1939, it was either View-Master or some kind of projector, and that didn't make sense.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Only three days in and my Coryats are already falling off a cliff: https://j-scorer.com/shared/TenPoundHammer

I expect to record a coryat of negative $7,400 by next Friday.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

E.J. tried to lose the game a few times with his missed DDs and the suicide wager from second. He played very well otherwise, congrats on a solid first win.
Spum wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm Wow is it frustrating knowing and picturing the correct answer in your brain, only to draw a blank on the object’s actual name.
Got that right! The wheels just could not turn fast enough to give me the name.. really mad at myself for botching this one. Best I could do was "those vision goggles" :lol: . The discs that mine had contained stills from Toy Story, Lion King, etc. It's probably been close to 15 years since I last used one, though.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not sure why trebek didn't think any of the contestants could have received a viewmaster as a gift...the returning champion didn't look that young...i am in my mid 40s and i got one as a gift...seems that dude is older than mid 40s
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am Dan got the hot start with running DON'T BE AFRAID IT'S ONLY FOOTBALL. Nice try, writers. No Fensters in this bunch as Ben's chat was about college football. Anyone could have run the category since the bottom box was knowing what CFL stood for. :lol:
You got that right. I ran the category and I know very little about football.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm I agree that the writing of the clue has poor syntax, but I don't think the writing would have steered anyone away from the correct response.
That's fair enough. If I'd thought of the Viewmaster, I probably would have gone with it. On the other hand, I wonder if I might have gotten a better-worded version of this FJ. I've owned at least two Viewmasters and watched the complete 13-episode DVD set of Wonderfalls multiple times, including the commentary tracks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ha. Macrame. That was my answer attempt for the memory wire/dead-soft wire/tiger tail LL q
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I agree that the clue would better have referred to View-Master as a brand, not a product..For a second, I thought maybe we were back on National Geographic again...! But I ended with a WECIB for the right response...