Wednesday, June 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sorry to see the forklift driver go. It was a pitched battle at the end. I felt bad for E.J. but come on - the veto clue was a gift. He must have been thrown by not knowing there actually is a physical document - I didn't know either.

My instant thought was of what I now know is a stereoscope. My great aunt had a bunch of these black and white pics, and a ton of them were African tribal scenes. I also knew them to be much older than 1939. I maybe have seen a viewmaster but would never pull the name. I also didn't know the name of the queen of hotness :). I can see that she would be a popular product :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I bought my nephew a Viewmaster for Christmas a few years ago, so I am puzzled that Alex thinks all the contestants were too young to have received one.

Viewmaster was once owned by GAF (because chemical companies selling toys was part of what was called diversification) and its spokesman was Henry Fonda.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 pm Sorry to see the forklift driver go. It was a pitched battle at the end. I felt bad for E.J. but come on - the veto clue was a gift. He must have been thrown by not knowing there actually is a physical document - I didn't know either.
Yeah, I always pictured more of a giant rubber stamp.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 pm Sorry to see the forklift driver go. It was a pitched battle at the end. I felt bad for E.J. but come on - the veto clue was a gift. He must have been thrown by not knowing there actually is a physical document - I didn't know either.
Yeah, I always pictured more of a giant rubber stamp.
I said veto letters, which of course was acceptable.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
yclept

Post by yclept »

March 29th, if I am not mistaken, was the last time the winning player won less than $20K.

That said (and James is a big reason why), we only have a pair of 5+ game champs since Alan Dunn, and he won his 5th game back in October.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

A frustrating FJ for me. I knew what gizmo they meant, but I couldn't think of its name.
Teems with quiet fun.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm The 2015 Mattel VR product wasn't even close to being the "first virtual reality device,"
Who's saying it was? I think all the clue implied was that there was a VR product introduced in 2015 called "View-Master."

I agree that the clue should have used the word "brand" rather than "product."
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Spum wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm Wow is it frustrating knowing and picturing the correct answer in your brain, only to draw a blank on the object’s actual name.
Got that right! The wheels just could not turn fast enough to give me the name.. really mad at myself for botching this one.
Yep, same here. I thought the clue was a little clunky but got to the right device in about 10 seconds and spent the next 20 pulling my hair out trying to remember what it is actually called.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the eff did I go 0/5 in an animal category? Especially when Josh Hill was the $200 response?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Muncie), Wellington, Mesmerism, (Nick Bottom), Ariel, (Vetoes), Grand Army of the Republic, Chimborazo

I have seen a number of YouTubers use a View-Master Virtual Reality kit. I never plan on using it because it is very bad for your eyes.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:10 am How the eff did I go 0/5 in an animal category? Especially when Josh Hill was the $200 response?
Not all of those were animal questions. Like the Calving question. I am surprised you missed Blue Whale though.
Douglas Squasoni
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 am I bought my nephew a Viewmaster for Christmas a few years ago, so I am puzzled that Alex thinks all the contestants were too young to have received one.

Viewmaster was once owned by GAF (because chemical companies selling toys was part of what was called diversification) and its spokesman was Henry Fonda.
I still have mine -- it's from the "Sawyer" years, just before GAF got ahold of it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Looks like I wasn't the only one who couldn't make sense of FJ. I went with television. :?
The first round was a dream board as I went 28/30, running the first five categories. 8-)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I had my ophthalmology appt today and what do I find on the waiting room table?
viewmaster.jpg
viewmaster.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
The wheel allegedly had befores and afters of cataracts and glaucoma surgery amongst a couple other advert related pictures, I only had time to skim it (after I posed it for the photo)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 pm I had my ophthalmology appt today and what do I find on the waiting room table?

viewmaster.jpg

The wheel allegedly had befores and afters of cataracts and glaucoma surgery amongst a couple other advert related pictures, I only had time to skim it (after I posed it for the photo)
Wow - more brand extension...!
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am
E.J. needs to relax and turn down the intensity meter one notch for tomorrow. Please. He reminded me of an unfunny Adam Scott.
Respectfully disagree. I really enjoy his game play. I think that he comes off a bit intense but when he relaxes the smell seems very genuine, more easily genuine perhaps some much bigger winners this. season

I think he has a good mastery of the stuff. Think compared to Jamie and some of the other champions he seems relatively relaxed. There are plenty of memorable players who honestly did stuff it felt very contrived during their appearances. Nothing wrong with that. I understand people wanting to be memorable. I don't get that sense with him and I hope he goes a few more games at least. Of course I don't know who is going to be playing against and I might be just as pleased with them
In any case, as Harry Friedman once said to me I think it in attempt at consolation as I was not happy with the feeling that I was being put up against two of the strongest players there in the tournament, they want good television. And they will get good television when people are more evenly matched. While I would've been happy to see Jamie go some more games and certainly had nothing at stake if Ken's record fell(After all my record fell, Frank's record fell, Rogers did as well and at some point Ken's will fall.), his game against Emma was wonderful television. I am in a way it was unfortunate that some of the earlier challengers didn't get the hang of the buzzer until later in the game. Emma had the buzzer pretty much right out of the gate.

So here we go E J, make some money and maybe take your mom to Hyderabad.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Add a note on Viewmaster. Viewmaster is just a nice riff on the stereopticon which was a feature in homes, at least bourgeois homes, from the 1880s on. 3-D pictures have always had an appeal. The good thing about the Viewmaster was the rotating system.

But in general, 3-D goes through waves of a pill but there's always been a good market for 3-D images

https://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/3d-double-vision
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

JyV92 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:28 pmThe good thing about the Viewmaster was the rotating system.
Not only that but it didn't require printing and enlargement to paper cards which were more susceptible to warping/bending, mold, water damage, sticking to each other, dirt/scratches, etc. etc. Cared for well, films on Viewmaster discs from 40 years ago look as pristine as the day they were made, which can't be said for anything put on paper cards.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:58 am
JyV92 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:28 pmThe good thing about the Viewmaster was the rotating system.
Not only that but it didn't require printing and enlargement to paper cards which were more susceptible to warping/bending, mold, water damage, sticking to each other, dirt/scratches, etc. etc. Cared for well, films on Viewmaster discs from 40 years ago look as pristine as the day they were made, which can't be said for anything put on paper cards.
Viewmaster discs were easy to care for and store. We had several dozen stacked up and sealed in a coffee can with a diameter just larger than the discs. None were ever scratched or damaged.

[Sorry if I made the thread sound like a "Hints from Heloise" column.]
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I *think* (though it's very likely I'm mistaken) that Ben looks familiar, and I *think* it may be because I auditioned with him in Kansas City in 2015. If so, great to see him get on!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012