Fun with GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fun with GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Arianna Haut: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5911
and Raj Dhuwalia: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1974

made their debuts as experts
F. Y. I., you don't have Raj's appearance on "Who's Still Standing?" like you do on Ryan Chaffee's page. Raj appeared on the show in December 2011.
I've added a line for Raj with 2011-12 as I don't know which date he appeared. If he won any money let me know as I gave him a $0.
2011-12-20, which was harder for me to google today than it was yesterday, for some reason. The 0 is correct. I blame the format. See for yourself:
Date added. Thanks. I watched first run and yes, the format had flaws.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Had another perfect game today. Guessed Blonde and Nocturnal with some thought.

Pre-called Leveret when the Hares category came up.

Apparently no one knew Calamity Jane's real name was Martha Jane Canary.

J! Archive helped me get the Younger Brothers question.

They played a new promo during the commercials and I saw www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8907 as a contestant.

We still haven't seen Susannah Brooks in any episodes yet.
Douglas Squasoni
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:15 am We still haven't seen Susannah Brooks in any episodes yet.
susannah's first episode is today's. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mrbungle wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:15 am We still haven't seen Susannah Brooks in any episodes yet.
susannah's first episode is today's. :)
I added a line to Susannah's J! bio page.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Each Friday or Saturday I will update how the season is going. This will cover the first 10 games of the season.

Appearances by Expert:
Muffy: 6
Ken: 5
Ryan: 5
Jonathan: 4
Raj: 4
Arianna: 3
David: 2
Susannah: 1

Wins by Expert: (Best during first three rounds and head to head against winning contestant)
Ken: 3
Muffy: 3
Arianna: 1
Jonathan: 1
Raj: 1
Ryan: 1

$10,000 wins by Contestant:
Josh: 6/12
Jake: 6/18
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm ...
I added a line on Saran's page: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4150
I met and played pub trivia with her a few years back. She was introduced to me as "Saran".

At one point, she, I, and the venerable Rex Kramer played on the same team. I remember Rex showing her her games on J-archive.
OCSam
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

was wondering why the game shows that aren't jeopardy or millionaire get threads with "fun with" in the title...why not just put the title of the show by itself?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:27 pm
I added a line on Saran's page: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4150
I met and played pub trivia with her a few years back. She was introduced to me as "Saran".

At one point, she, I, and the venerable Rex Kramer played on the same team. I remember Rex showing her her games on J-archive.
never understood why people play as teams at pub trivia...the prizes aren't all that much in the end and if you win then you have to split the prize...i see teams around here that consist of like 12-16 players and the prize is a 50 dollar gift card...that barely pays for a soda for each player on the team...the only time i play with another person is when they foot my bar bill in the event we don't win...otherwise i take my chance and play by myself and go for 100 percent of the winnings
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

2 things i have been pondering after watching this show...why do they generally select jennings to go in the first round? he is probably the best player of the panel, so why not take him in the 3rd round? not going to have many chances of getting double the points in the first 2 rounds seeing he isn't going to miss many...and by saving him for the 3rd round provides for the safest option when it comes to going along with his answers for 1/2 the points

2nd thing is...why do people choose jennings for the final round? why not go with the weakest of the 3 available? do they want to have a story saying that battled one of the best trivia players in usa history or do they want to win? would think the latter is the case otherwise why go on the show...not going with him would increase the chances of winning immensely
goongas

Post by goongas »

2nd thing is...why do people choose jennings for the final round? why not go with the weakest of the 3 available? do they want to have a story saying that battled one of the best trivia players in usa history or do they want to win? would think the latter is the case otherwise why go on the show...not going with him would increase the chances of winning immensely
People would rather have the story that they can tell people until they die. That is worth more to most people than winning a sum of money that will be gone to taxes and a vacation to Disney World with the family, and I imagine most of these contestants don't think they are going to win against any of the experts anyway. (I haven't seen the shows, I don't know what level of contestants they are attracting). I went against Ken in a untaped walkthrough of a pilot Ken was working on with Comedy Central. Was it the highlight of my life? No, but it was interesting. I don't even share that story with people, but I can imagine other people would. You also asked why do people play pub trivia when the winnings are so minuscule. People enjoy the experience of playing with their friends, it isn't all about winning money.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 am was wondering why the game shows that aren't jeopardy or millionaire get threads with "fun with" in the title...why not just put the title of the show by itself?
No good reason or answer. It was something I did first with perhaps, Idiotest? I just continued the tradition.

For the last round (no choice for round 3 either as process of elimination is in play) the contestants do not have a choice of which expert to go against head to head. The expert is determined by which of the three scored the best during the first three rounds in total as they play all the questions whether or not in the hot seat for rounds 1-3.

For picking Ken first perhaps the thinking is he will get everything with no chance to double so get him out the way in the lowest scoring round? A new person having control almost every day can mean all kinds of thinking and strategy. Perhaps there is category strategy in trying to match an expert to a category that might be troublesome?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 am was wondering why the game shows that aren't jeopardy or millionaire get threads with "fun with" in the title...why not just put the title of the show by itself?
No good reason or answer. It was something I did first with perhaps, Idiotest? I just continued the tradition.

For the last round (no choice for round 3 either as process of elimination is in play) the contestants do not have a choice of which expert to go against head to head. The expert is determined by which of the three scored the best during the first three rounds in total as they play all the questions whether or not in the hot seat for rounds 1-3.

For picking Ken first perhaps the thinking is he will get everything with no chance to double so get him out the way in the lowest scoring round? A new person having control almost every day can mean all kinds of thinking and strategy. Perhaps there is category strategy in trying to match an expert to a category that might be troublesome?
ah i see..that makes sense...didn't realise that
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm

i can get behind that..still think he would be better used for the 3rd round
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 am

never understood why people play as teams at pub trivia...the prizes aren't all that much in the end and if you win then you have to split the prize...i see teams around here that consist of like 12-16 players and the prize is a 50 dollar gift card...that barely pays for a soda for each player on the team...the only time i play with another person is when they foot my bar bill in the event we don't win...otherwise i take my chance and play by myself and go for 100 percent of the winnings
Sometimes people like to hang out with their friends. If their friends happen to be other trivia, then even better. No one goes to bar trivia in the hopes of striking it rich. The thrill of the game and the social aspect is often enough of a reward.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hanzz wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 am

Sometimes people like to hang out with their friends. If their friends happen to be other trivia, then even better. No one goes to bar trivia in the hopes of striking it rich. The thrill of the game and the social aspect is often enough of a reward.
yeah definitely not rich, but i play to build a bankroll so i won't have to use my own money for beer for a while...all about game selection, too...i try to find the equivalent of the goulash joints of 79th street in the movie rounders....trivia is all about free beer to me
LucarioSnooperVixey

Tonight's final round was disappointing. The contestant only got 1/5 of the questions in what I thought was an easier final round than others. What was more surprising is Muffy missing the Deuce question as well as the moons of Uranus. Other players could have easily won the $10,000 in my opinion.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Ken missing the Risky Business question was a huge surprise.

Never heard of Chin Shih however, the Silk Road was around centuries prior and Wu Zeitan was the first Chinese Empress in the 700's.
Douglas Squasoni
BrianneA

Post by BrianneA »

I felt pretty silly missing the Risky Business question, but at least I got a question right that Ken missed. Can't believe I lost $9,000 (and the chance to try again) on an avocado, but it felt good to know we were both wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrianneA wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:04 pm I felt pretty silly missing the Risky Business question, but at least I got a question right that Ken missed. Can't believe I lost $9,000 (and the chance to try again) on an avocado, but it felt good to know we were both wrong.
Good timing with your post as I was about to start working on inputting an old game and could first switch gears to update your J! page: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10033

Congrats on another game show appearance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

15 games through June 28

Appearances by Expert:
Muffy: 9
Ryan: 8
Ken: 7
Raj: 7
Jonathan: 5
Arianna: 5
David: 2
Susannah: 2

Wins by Expert: (Best during first three rounds and head to head against winning contestant)
Muffy: 6
Ken: 3
Arianna: 2
Jonathan: 1
Raj: 1
Ryan: 1
Susannah: 1

$10,000 wins by Contestant:
Josh: 6/12 (against Muffy)
Jake: 6/18 (against Ken)