Wednesday, July 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 am There's also a boss in Enter the Gungeon called the Gorgun, but the connection never registered since I didn't know the underlying myth.
In D&D, a gorgon is a completely unrelated monster, resembling a scaly, metallic bull with a petrification breath attack. :ugeek:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:56 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 am There's also a boss in Enter the Gungeon called the Gorgun, but the connection never registered since I didn't know the underlying myth.
In D&D, a gorgon is a completely unrelated monster, resembling a scaly, metallic bull with a petrification breath attack. :ugeek:
And there's a separate monster called the medusa which is more or less the kind of gorgon we're thinking about.

Here's a fascinating discussion of where Gygax likely got the idea for the gorgon being a bull-like creature:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions ... metal-bull
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

FJ: Sirens, just to have something.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm IGot FJ. Wonder what TPTB would've done if someone responded " What are Medusae"? :geek:
It would have unquestionably been negged. Medusa's sisters were Stheno and Euryale.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm IGot FJ. Wonder what TPTB would've done if someone responded " What are Medusae"? :geek:
It would have unquestionably been negged. Medusa's sisters were Stheno and Euryale.
The partron goddess of transcribers.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 am
I originally went "Furies," 80% sure that it was incorrect, before remembering that Medusa had sisters. Then I blanked on whether or not she was "the" Medusa or "a" Medusa. If pressed, would have probably written down "the Medusas."

Unfortunately, FJ seems to be binary. I've never seen them give 1/3 credit. Had I had another 30 seconds, I might have dredged up Gorgons. Probably not.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I came up with “Fate” on FJ, then when the answer was revealed, left a heel-sized dent in my forehead. Worst FJ week for me in forever (and it’s not over yet).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Greenwave and the Bottom Two in Supporting Roles.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ray Bradbury, Albreich, Officious, Edo Castle, South Lawn, Steve Carrell, Dire Wolf, Balloon

Knew Titanic just from Thomas Andrews. :ugeek:

Knew Francis Stanley thanks to my good friend Armand who is a huge fan of cars.
Douglas Squasoni
brick

Post by brick »

skrambler wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:22 pm
brick wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm The way this show consistently ignores the ‘okina in the Hawai’ian language is sloppy and frustrating. The words lanai and Lana’i are different words!
Are you willing to give a brief rundown of the difference? That sounds interesting.
Ok... background: Some of the earliest “Westerners” to arrive in Hawai’i were Christian missionaries. Job one is to create a written language, so you can translate the Bible into it. I can’t grab a reference just now, but it is widely believed that prior to the creation of a written version of the languages Hawai’ians, Tahitians, and Fijians shared a common language. Within a generation of the written codification of the languages in different locations the spoken languages bent towards the written versions and speakers of those languages could no longer easily converse.

http://ulukau.org/elib/collect/ped/inde ... r/book.pdf

If you look there you will see numerous examples of words listed one after the other where the ‘okina changes the meaning.

I took screen caps but I’m having trouble posting from my phone.

In any case, ignoring the ‘okina is no deferent than ignoring diacritical marks in other languages. Jeopardy recognizes the tilda, the umlaut, etc... so why not the ‘okina? To me it smacks of racism and cultural disrespect for non-European languages.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

brick wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm The way this show consistently ignores the ‘okina in the Hawai’ian language is sloppy and frustrating. The words lanai and Lana’i are different words!
Are you willing to give a brief rundown of the difference? That sounds interesting.
Short version: it marks a glottal stop (a catch in the throat, as in uh-oh). So the chair is pronounced lah-NYE, while the island is LAAA-na-ee (it is actually spelled Lāna‘i; the macron on the a, called a kahakō, simply marks it as long).
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

brick wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Ok... background: Some of the earliest “Westerners” to arrive in Hawai’i were Christian missionaries. Job one is to create a written language, so you can translate the Bible into it. I can’t grab a reference just now, but it is widely believed that prior to the creation of a written version of the languages Hawai’ians, Tahitians, and Fijians shared a common language. Within a generation of the written codification of the languages in different locations the spoken languages bent towards the written versions and speakers of those languages could no longer easily converse.

http://ulukau.org/elib/collect/ped/inde ... r/book.pdf

If you look there you will see numerous examples of words listed one after the other where the ‘okina changes the meaning.

I took screen caps but I’m having trouble posting from my phone.

In any case, ignoring the ‘okina is no deferent than ignoring diacritical marks in other languages. Jeopardy recognizes the tilda, the umlaut, etc... so why not the ‘okina? To me it smacks of racism and cultural disrespect for non-European languages.
Thank you for sharing, I learned a lot!
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
brick

Post by brick »

silverpie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Short version: it marks a glottal stop (a catch in the throat, as in uh-oh). So the chair is pronounced lah-NYE, while the island is LAAA-na-ee (it is actually spelled Lāna‘i; the macron on the a, called a kahakō, simply marks it as long).
Thank you!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got officious right away.

Don't expect game shows to reconstruct elements of foreign language that don't correspond to sounds in English.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.