Friday, July 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
16th CENTURY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Hoping to stop Dominican Friar Johannes Tetzel from preaching for indulgences, in 1517 he wrote a series of debate topics

Ryan Bilger: 27000+2199=29199 (2x = $63,849)
Sally Leedham: 12400+9000=21400
Jim Royal: 1200+0=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Martin Luther

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 0+1000
Ryan: 13200+5000
Jim: 11400-11400

Coryats
Ryan: 22600
Sally: 12400
Jim: 12600

Combined: 47,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 10000
Sally: 6000
Jim: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice opening run by Ryan in LITERARY MINNESOTA for +3600 including DD1 on the first pick.

Jim went for it on DD3 and it made sense trailing 11400 to 26200 (Sally at 11200) yet ran into a clue he could not figure out in DD time allowed. Even with a solve he still would have trailed Ryan for the FJ! round.

The leader was the place to be with a clue destined to go 3/3 as "indulgences" alone was enough. Ryan shared on The Jeopardy! Fan that he knew the name Johannes Tetzel for another path to getting it right.

Great title defense by Ryan looking very comfortable at the champ's spot. Ryan messed up his wager on DD2. Doesn't he know it's supposed to be 11381, 11914 or 9812? ;)

Does anyone recognize Jim Royal from another game show? He looked, sounded and acted familiar to me.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $31,600

39 R (3 DDs), 5 W

FJ—Yes. Way too many easy hints for a FJ clue.

Unless I missed any, I don't think Ryan has given an incorrect response in either of his two games so far. Extremely impressive is the only way I can describe it.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was so happy when Jim made it a TDD, and when that "easy" Adele clue came up, I was thinking, "see, J! contestants, this is what happens when you...Jim? Um...Jim??!?!" Oh well. It was still the right move.

Spent the commercial break brainstorming all the 16th c. names I could -- monarchs, artists, etc -- and the last name I came up with was...Martin Luther. 'Nah, too easy', I figured. Indulgences + 1517? Cmon J! writers, I know you're eager to start your vacations, but there's still a few weeks to go.

Ryan looks like a keeper. Maybe we'll get another 5xer before the end of the season.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Ryan impressed me again today. He is racking up VERY great coryats and is still making great DD wagers! I truly think we might finally have another TOC contender on our hands ;) .

Also, props to Jim for attempting to get within striking distance with Ryan by making that TDD. Too bad it didn't quite pay off for him.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:37 pm I was so happy when Jim made it a TDD, and when that "easy" Adele clue came up, I was thinking, "see, J! contestants, this is what happens when you...Jim? Um...Jim??!?!" Oh well. It was still the right move.

Spent the commercial break brainstorming all the 16th c. names I could -- monarchs, artists, etc -- and the last name I came up with was...Martin Luther. 'Nah, too easy', I figured. Indulgences + 1517? Cmon J! writers, I know you're eager to start your vacations, but there's still a few weeks to go.

Ryan looks like a keeper. Maybe we'll get another 5xer before the end of the season.
i mean how many british women singers can one name? i got 3...adele and boyle fit that clue...winehouse is no longer with us...i can name the spice girls, but they definitely do not fit the clue
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Pre-called Machiavelli for FJ, got a teen level clue.
Shoulda got Adele, but her music is not in my area.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 pm
i mean how many british women singers can one name? i got 3...
You beat me by 3. I thought about Sinead O'Connor, but not sure she is considered British (Irish or Northern Irish?). Had no idea Adele was British, or what she looks like for that matter. Bummer that Jim didn't know it after the correct betting decision. In the end it saved the show about 20K, which is another bummer.

Ryan is approaching scary good, but any one of these good players could catch fire and make his plans gang aft agley.

ETA - I forgot to heap scorn on the writers for amplifying the snub on Women's Soccer. FIFA has done all they can do to diminish the event. I saw the category on the men in Single Jeopardy and thought, OK, we better see the women in DJ. Yuck. Good luck, ladies, anyway. Just don't end it with a tie and the disgusting PK tiebreaker rule :!:
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm I thought about Sinead O'Connor, but not sure she is considered British (Irish or Northern Irish?).
Irish, so no, not British.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Don't forget that category was FEMALE SINGERS MONONYMOUS, so it wasn't going to be anyone we refer to by a first and last name. (I still kneejerked Joan Baez on the bottom clue like Jim did, though.)
Leander

Post by Leander »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 am Don't forget that category was FEMALE SINGERS MONONYMOUS, so it wasn't going to be anyone we refer to by a first and last name. (I still kneejerked Joan Baez on the bottom clue like Jim did, though.)
Only other British singer I can think of who went by one name was Lulu (probably too old for most people to remember)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Leander wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 am Don't forget that category was FEMALE SINGERS MONONYMOUS, so it wasn't going to be anyone we refer to by a first and last name. (I still kneejerked Joan Baez on the bottom clue like Jim did, though.)
Only other British singer I can think of who went by one name was Lulu (probably too old for most people to remember)
The only one I can add off the top of my head is Duffy (Welsh).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed FOX(Said ABC), Gag Order, and Odetta(Said Joan Baez then Mahalia Jackson.))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Adele)
Douglas Squasoni
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Leander wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 am
I think Petula Clark would qualify, as she went by Petula! In the superstar years. But Adele was an instaget just because of the context of the quote. She's always been heavyset (since being famous, anyway) and completely unconcerned about the amount of criticism she's received over it.

Classy, fun, irreverent, self-possessed, and oh yeah, glorious pipes. If you haven't given her a listen, she's worth the effort.

Ryan reminds me a lot of Matt, the Quiz bowl young man in AlexJacobs' year. I'm guessing Ryan's been doing the high school/college circuit for years recently. I agree he could easily be a 5 timer, seems to have the knowledge base, also some gift for the clues depending on working out puns or puzzles, but I think he's vulnerable to events and facts more common to those 40 and up. So the right run of categories (for someone else) could take him out. JMHO.
Pending...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

qwerqwerqwer wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:03 am The category was mononymous artists, so it really can only be Adele.
very true...didn't take notice of the category
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lately I've been having brainfarts

Electronic device + sound got me snagged on "drone" long enough not to try the IRS angle instead. Even if I had come up with "audit" first I don't think I'd have been able to backtrack in time.

What was the TOM for Amazon on Bidness for $200? I thought that clue seemed like a slam-dunk for eBay, since blah blah blah bidding company.

"Cotton Mather" seemed extremely obscure for the top box. That is a very Hawley-Smoot name, but I can't say I've ever come across it before. Ended up 0/5 there.

Didn't see a way to figure out Beyonce in the top box either. 1993 had me thinking much older singers.

No guess on FJ! I didn't see any "hints" in this one AT ALL, and I work in a Lutheran church.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 am What was the TOM for Amazon on Bidness for $200? I thought that clue seemed like a slam-dunk for eBay, since blah blah blah bidding company.

Didn't see a way to figure out Beyonce in the top box either. 1993 had me thinking much older singers.

No guess on FJ! I didn't see any "hints" in this one AT ALL, and I work in a Lutheran church.
It's a current events thing; the bidding for HQ2 took place less than a year ago.

Kelly Rowland was Beyoncé's bandmate in Destiny's Child as well.

"Indulgences" was the biggest hint in FJ. Basically Martin Luther broke with the church because they were selling indulgences.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 amIt's a current events thing; the bidding for HQ2 took place less than a year ago.
So another thing to slip entirely through the cracks between taping and airing. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near Blatt/Bratt, but sometimes I think the "current events" get TOO current.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 amKelly Rowland was Beyoncé's bandmate in Destiny's Child as well.
I was about to say she seems to be the Stu Sutcliffe of the group, but apparently Rowland has had a very non-trivial career of her own. However, I still stand by my opinion that Beyoncé sucks.

...wait, that freakin' "Say My Name" song is Destiny's Child?!? There I go again, only halfway knowing stuff.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 am "Indulgences" was the biggest hint in FJ. Basically Martin Luther broke with the church because they were selling indulgences.
So the one word I tune out as background noise is the one key word. As usual. I actually remember one of the "good" pastors bringing up the whole indulgence thing, but it just didn't click. I got snagged on "Dominican Friar whose name is utterly unfamiliar" and "debate topics in 1517". Since those elements of the clue were far more obscure, I just immediately threw up my hands and expected another liederkranz. Because with all that unfamiliar babble in the clue, why SHOULD I expect anything even remotely easy?