Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NORTH AMERICAN CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 this city celebrated its 375th birthday & the 50th anniversary of an event that made it an international tourist destination

Ryan Bilger: 25200+7601=32801 (3x = $96,650)
Holly Ahronheim: 7200-7200=0
Sarah Hoban: 16400+16000=32400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Montreal (Holly – Woodstock)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 4600+4600
Ryan: 10800+6000
Sarah: 7200+7200

Coryats
Ryan: 17000
Holly: 7200
Sarah: 10800

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 9200
Holly: 4800
Sarah: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yikes, six clues not seen. Even if top box Ryan should not have let NATIONAL PARKS or the baseball category be the ones not finished as he indicated he knows that material. Ryan does get fined in the kangaroo court for going a step too far in missing the Jim Abbott clue. Walks matter.

A PAST-ICE $600: Want to see a passionate history professor? Watch this late comic work himself up to a scream in “Back To School”

-$600 for Holly joining me on a reflexive neg bait. No he was not the history professor, but he probably screamed at some point in the movie and certainly is a late comic. When that movie title is shown he is the first name that comes to mind.

Sarah did what she could with DD3 though still well short thanks to Ryan already having banked + 10600 on his DDs.

The FJ! clue was a silly miss for me. Off the category I told myself it was probably going to be Canada, could be Mexico and less likely Central America.

Off the clue I went to the first math part and had to figure out how to do 2017-375. My method was to subtract 400 to get 1617 and then to add 25 for 1642. From there I tried to think of a place with that year as significant. Plymouth was out and Jamestown was out. I was getting nowhere and rechecked my math. Bad move.

Time was almost up and knowing it was wrong for multiple reasons, I still wrote Salem to have something. At no point did I bother to reread the clue in its entirety. Sometimes I get a FJ! clue right at home and wonder if I could have solved it on the stage under tougher conditions. Today is the reverse as I'm sure I would have looked at the full clue playing for real and gotten past the first part and just done the simpler math in the second part of the clue for a quick solve.

Nice way to give a very solvable one away to start the week. :oops:

Ryan is 6/6 on DDs finding two each game coupled with 3/3 on the FJ! clues. If he can keep that pace up it makes him tough to defeat.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

On a professional level, I can see why people would miss this clue.

On a personal level, I'm disappointed that not everyone would get this clue.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

I probably don't get this one before this morning when I read a blog post about the Washington Nationals' 50th-anniversary uniforms from this past weekend.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

spell4yr wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 am I probably don't get this one before this morning when I read a blog post about the Washington Nationals' 50th-anniversary uniforms from this past weekend.
I read a story about that yesterday, and I still missed it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I am impressed by Ryan as a contestant so far. He does not appear flummoxed by some clues that one might think would disadvantage a contestant as young as he is.

Will we end up with a situation in the ToC where somebody has to change their name?

Random fact: If you type "Ryan Jeopardy" into Google, it presents a blurb about the current champion, but accompanied by a photo gallery with Ryan Fenster and Jade Ryan ( a one day contestant earlier this season).
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Nice work once again, Ryan, I thought you handled some very odd/tough DD categories very well. Especially so for whippersnappers our age hahah.. If you see this: How did you feel entering the studio for this day of taping? Tired, fresh, focused and ready to win more? :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

threearruda wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 pm Nice work once again, Ryan, I thought you handled some very odd/tough DD categories very well. Especially so for whippersnappers our age hahah.. If you see this: How did you feel entering the studio for this day of taping? Tired, fresh, focused and ready to win more? :lol:
Thank you! I felt pretty good going in that day, wearing a fresh new sweater I’d bought the night before after realizing I needed more outfit options!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Great job, Ryan! We're rooting for you!
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Figured if the clue wanted an American city, then the clue would have been American Cities, and not North American. After quickly dismissing countries south of USA, went to Canada and clued into Expo 67 and was home free.
davey

Post by davey »

I wonder if this could be a trend... I too spent time in the 17th C. looking for a tourist trap, and completely elided the more helpful 50th anniversary part of the clue. But unlike Mark, I wasn't too smart to end up with Plymouth on the page... :oops:
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Excellent job once again Ryan! Hope you become a 5-day champ and TOC invitee; you deserve it!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sam kinison in the 600 box seemed undervalued...probably should have been bottom box...got it right, but don't believe it was a middle value clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm
spell4yr wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 am I probably don't get this one before this morning when I read a blog post about the Washington Nationals' 50th-anniversary uniforms from this past weekend.
I read a story about that yesterday, and I still missed it.
i watched some of the game, saw the hideous uniforms and didn't get the clue correct...didn't realise they wore them for anniversary celebration...teams wear throwbacks all the time, so didn't realise there was a tie in to a year...i try to tune out the announcing tandem of carpenter and santangelo...they are awful...especially santangelo...carpenter was okay when he did the late wcc game for big monday with jimmy dykes, but since becoming a nationals announcer he has really regressed
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not sure why holly went with woodstock...1969 for that place and the category was north american city...was never going to be a usa city
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"I shouted out 'free the Expo '67' till they stepped on my hair and they told me I was fat" -- They Might Be Giants
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am sam kinison in the 600 box seemed undervalued...probably should have been bottom box...got it right, but don't believe it was a middle value clue
Surely, I'm not the only one that saw that clue, and the contestants struggling with it, and yelled "SAY IT! SAAAAAY IIIIIIIT!!!!" at the TV....