New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My first attempt with Microsoft Paint didn't turn out too bad actually. By pure accident I happened to pick the perfect place to control-c. That's the extent of my skills, though.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:50 pmRen and Stimpy
I'll take "Shows My Mom Wouldn't Let Me Watch" for $400.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never seen the show, either. Is there something funny about the scores being what they are in the picture?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:04 am I have never seen the show, either. Is there something funny about the scores being what they are in the picture?
Ren (the one on the left) is supposed to be intelligent while Stimpy is dimwitted.
kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by kablamfan11 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:34 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:04 am I have never seen the show, either. Is there something funny about the scores being what they are in the picture?
Ren (the one on the left) is supposed to be intelligent while Stimpy is dimwitted.
I remember watching Ren & Stimpy when it reran on Nicktoons in 2005.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Does anyone know back in Season 1 who became the second 5 time champ on J!. It was after Elise Beraru.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:12 am Does anyone know back in Season 1 who became the second 5 time champ on J!. It was after Elise Beraru.
John Genova
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added the requested 5/8/92 College Championship QF5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6353

The players pics for Billy Baxter, Nick Jungman & Stephanie Leveene are already in the Archive.

I would think Ledecky might have something to say about COLLEGE SPORTS $500?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm I added the requested 5/8/92 College Championship QF5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6353

The players pics for Billy Baxter, Nick Jungman & Stephanie Leveene are already in the Archive.

So it's one of those rare occasions where the three finalists all played in the SAME Quarterfinal Match. I think there was another time this happened, but I don't remember where.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm I added the requested 5/8/92 College Championship QF5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6353

The article is firewalled, but the Wall Street Journal did an article about how my neighborhood pool was so 'exclusive' that we wouldn't 'let' Katie Ledecky's family have membership. I was president of the pool when the issue came up, and there wasn't anything we could do. If you have WSJ access, it's:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/katie-lede ... xSMFCBqrq0
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

So it's one of those rare occasions where the three finalists all played in the SAME Quarterfinal Match. I think there was another time this happened, but I don't remember where.
See Stefan Goodreau, Vijay Balse, & Jason Zollinger in the 2010 TOC.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am
kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:12 am Does anyone know back in Season 1 who became the second 5 time champ on J!. It was after Elise Beraru.
John Genova
Oh okay, his games I think aired in November 1984.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:41 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am
John Genova
Oh okay, his games I think aired in November 1984.
I'm looking for John Genova's entire 5 game run from November 1984. It would be a holy grail.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/10/93 College Championship SF1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6355

Player pics of Jeff Thompsen, John Van DeWeert, & Ann Menge:
Spoiler
What was shown for the video DD:
Spoiler
Thanks Myron for the nice work on the Photoshop
Wonder if Jeff has gotten over this game yet?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6314

Another game from a Reddit user, a nice 80s game, November 4, 1988, Andrew Martin vs. Diane St. John vs. Steve Brown. The archive had the game before this one and the game after it, so it's nice to fill in a gap like that. You all know how much I love the early 90s games as being packed with useful general knowledge clues. Well, these late 80s games are good in their own way, packed with idiosyncratic stuff. So much to talk about.

I have a note here that says "Virginia for 4, pronoun trouble" which took me a while to figure out, since I've been chipping away at this game for a couple of weeks. Usually "pronoun trouble" is my notation for a clue that is about a woman, but has to be phrased without saying "she", since that would give it away. Not the case here, though.
When it became Virginia's capital, Middle Plantation was renamed Williamsburg in this king's honor
I think what I meant was, Andrew heard "IT became Virginia's capital" and then stopped listening, responding "Richmond" when the clue wanted "Williamsburg in THIS king's honor".
Spoiler
Who is William III?
The Audio Daily Double" in THE BEATLES category is the perfect example of what us crabby-appletons are talking about when we say that music rights tie up the distribution of reruns. It isn't worth what it would cost to license "Give Peace a Chance" for Jeopardy to make these old games available. A shame to be sure, but it is what it is.

The COUPLES IN THE NEWS category is the kind of thing you probably don't need to put in your flashcards, but if you want to remember "the Vice King and the Ice Queen" or "Gitte and Gastineau", good for you.

Every part of GEOGRAPHY for $200 (DJ!) is a Thing Worth Knowing, as is the Daily Double in the bottom row.

My challenge to Mark Barrett: Correctly guess the top row response in JOANNES, JOANNAS, ETC. without looking at the clue.

Speaking of that category, we welcome "Lt. Dish from the movie M*A*S*H" and "actress from Red River & All the King's Men" to the J-Canon as responses.
Spoiler
Joann Pfflug and Joanne Dru, respectively. Alex mentioned that Dru was Peter Marshall's sister.
Clue of the game will be BEST SELLERS for $600. Steve misunderstood the clue and gave the names of both the earlier books in the trilogy. Can you do the same? (I didn't know book 2. Props to you if you got it.)
"Heaven & Hell" is the final book of this John Jakes Civil War trilogy
Spoiler
What are North & South and Love & War?
LETTER PERFECT in Final Jeopardy! turns out to be one of those nightmare clues that are easy enough at home, but a triple stumper for the players for the 30 seconds they have to think. I got it after considering both responses given by the players. It was a pain to transcribe all that talk, though.

I think my next step is going to be a spreadsheet catalog of all the games I have video of that need entering. I'm balancing 4 or 5 sources at the moment, so I'd like to straighten them out. That'll take some brainpower for a while. Have a great rest of your week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A nice fill in the gap game indeed. I took the Joanne challenge and had the $400 name as the possible top box although I did consider the right guy. The one I dismissed was $600 in recalling the space in her name to think she was out.

I got the FJ! clue right using:
Spoiler
2019 information as I told myself 1988 meant Pluto was in. Working outermost in I kept hitting on the right letter.
Any games you can add at any pace are wonderful. Thanks.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I failed the Joanne/Joanna category as I could only think of Joanne Woodward, Joanna Lumley, and Joanna Trollope. Only Woodward showed up, and in fact was my only get in the category. I highly doubt many people around my age would know who those other Joannes/Joannas are. Yet again, there probably aren't too many people my age who would know the ones I came up with either. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:08 pm How did Walter Mayes miss the TOC & UTOC? I have input this S8 game with Walter Mayes, Joseph D'Hippolito & Rhea Levine: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5660
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 pm India Cooper's tape that I'm currently doing is January 1992, but it's the start of the month, not the end. I bet I get close though. The last game on the tape is Walter vs. Joseph vs. Rhea. The last game I did was January 8, I figure I've got 6 more from this tape, including the currently updating one, which would put that somewhere near the 16th. And her other tape is 1991, so no dice there.

I guessed pretty close! What this means is that by a pleasant coincidence, India's tape filled another set of gaps in the J-Archive, filling out Walter Mayes's run, along with a number of games before it. I accidentally gave him a second contestant page, but I think I managed to fix everything.

I went ahead and entered skeletons for everything I have ready, and I think this'll be my schedule, probably taking me to the end of summer. I've also noted who provided the video, for my own record.

2001-12-17 (CharlieD)
1992-01-10 (India Cooper)
1996-04-16 (pannoni)
2001-12-31 (CharlieD)
1992-01-13 (India Cooper)
1994-10-17 (pannoni)
2002-01-01 (CharlieD)
1992-01-14 (India Cooper)
1991-10-01 (pannoni, incomplete game)
2002-01-02 (CharlieD)
1992-01-15 (India Cooper)
1992-01-17 (India Cooper)

I have to rip the video for the last 2, and at some point I'll need to dig through the piles in this room so I can get back to the David Frazee games, if there was anything on that first tape I hadn't done yet.

One thing I'd like some help on is the contestant names for 1991-10-01.

Here's the link to the video. (Note that it's a direct link to the Archive.org video file, so play accordingly.

Link to video file.

The interviews start at about 1:26. Anyone have a guess on the spelling of Ed's last name, or a better guess than Reisman for Ron? Also, I'm pretty sure that's not Rand's picture on his contestant page.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 ampretty sure that's not Rand's picture on his contestant page.
Pretty sure or totally sure? If it's not, any theories on how it got there? I do remember the fun time we had some four years ago trying to figure out if Charles Kaufman was the now-famous screenwriter (we determined not). I imagine I put up the picture of Rand at the same time that I put up the picture of Charles. So why would it be wrong?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:33 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 ampretty sure that's not Rand's picture on his contestant page.
Pretty sure or totally sure? If it's not, any theories on how it got there? I do remember the fun time we had some four years ago trying to figure out if Charles Kaufman was the now-famous screenwriter (we determined not). I imagine I put up the picture of Rand at the same time that I put up the picture of Charles.
Come on now, that is definitely Rand Owen's picture. He would put his specs on to play. I have zero doubt about it.

For names I'm fine with Reisman with alternates being Raisman and adding an N at the end for either variation.

For Ed other possibles are Vilay or Villay?

Great seeing those S18 earlier games in the hopper as I did not have them on tape and thought I would have to call in a favor down the road.