Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Actually, Geraldine Ferraro's husband was John Zaccaro.
I was going to say that.

It was a good game. I figured Ryan was toast when I saw how instaget that FJ was. The new champ is from Minneapolis, isn't he? I thought that was kind of embarrassing when Margaret rang in ahead of him on that Minnesota answer, even incorrectly.

Those album cover cloos I think really hit generationally. It was like the flip side of that recent Oscar nominated movie songs category that were all from very recent movies.
Last edited by floridagator on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Congratulations, Sam!
CasketRomance wrote:
there is a famous margaret hamilton? never heard of her
:mrgreen: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" :mrgreen:
Pending...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

skrambler wrote: My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)
I was wondering if you might be one of the first contestants to play after James Holzhauer's games began airing on TV.

Glad they cleared all the Album Cover clues. I was 4/5, drawing a blank on Bjork (sp). The DD seemed a bit too easy. Ditto for the J6 clue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 pm Congratulations, Sam!
CasketRomance wrote:
there is a famous margaret hamilton? never heard of her
:mrgreen: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" :mrgreen:
have never seen that movie before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm
skrambler wrote: My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)
I was wondering if you might be one of the first contestants to play after James Holzhauer's games began airing on TV.

Glad they cleared all the Album Cover clues. I was 4/5, drawing a blank on Bjork (sp). The DD seemed a bit too easy. Ditto for the J6 clue.
are there any other notable musicians from iceland that you can name?
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Tough luck for Ryan today. Sam found all the daily doubles against him, and was able to pull ahead of him.

But hey, Ryan, congrats on an excellent 4-day run. You did very well and I hope to see you in the TOC soon.

As for Sam, congrats on your victory! I wish you good luck tomorrow, you played very well against a tough competitor!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Got all but "Purple Rain" in Anal Bum Cover, and all but potassium in Mnemonics.

Bombed "Literature" but I could've gotten the first two.

Ran the $400s in DJ!, all but "allegory" in Body Part Within, not so hot otherwise.

How the hell did I get "Francois Mitterand"?

No guess on FJ! yet again. Yet another answer that is clearly within the database, but just didn't come up in time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 pm Got all but "Purple Rain" in Anal Bum Cover, and all but potassium in Mnemonics.

Bombed "Literature" but I could've gotten the first two.

Ran the $400s in DJ!, all but "allegory" in Body Part Within, not so hot otherwise.

How the hell did I get "Francois Mitterand"?

No guess on FJ! yet again. Yet another answer that is clearly within the database, but just didn't come up in time.
still not versed in prince, huh?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Great job, Sam!
Ryan, you was good against some adverse game situations, but Sam executed perfectly.
I didn't get the Margaret Hamilton reference at first, but suspected she was the WWOW. Nice of Alex not to

Curious if ANYONE missed the "Every Good Boy" mnemonic? Not a poll request, just chime in if you didn't get it. It would seem like a very oblique clue for anyone who's avoided traditional music training. It certainly is a YEKIOYD, even if it's easy for the 99% who know it. I'll avoid my soapbox about how counterproductive it is to teach sight reading to drive kids away from music.

Easy FJ that I made harder by struggling to remember the author's name. I must learn to read the clue closely. I just assumed it wouldn't be so easy as to name the novel/movie/play/opera/ballet/sock puppet show (after last week's clue, I just assume all art is done in all formats, lol).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

CasketRomance" wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Glad they cleared all the Album Cover clues. I was 4/5, drawing a blank on Bjork (sp). The DD seemed a bit too easy. Ditto for the J6 clue.
I only vaguely remember seeing them on SNL. I don't listen to alternative rock often enough to have a handle on all the notables.
I did get the Alabama Shakes clue a few weeks ago, though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If I had a couple more seconds I could've gotten the Purple Rain clue. I associated motorcycles with black and remembered a band called Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but they're both too obscure and too contemporary to fit the clue. Doing just 1980s movies with colors in the title pulled up The Color Purple, but I couldn't imagine it having motorcycles in it.

It'd help if my brain would stop coming up with answers that are a million miles off course....
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 pm
Curious if ANYONE missed the "Every Good Boy" mnemonic? Not a poll request, just chime in if you didn't get it. It would seem like a very oblique clue for anyone who's avoided traditional music training. It certainly is a YEKIOYD, even if it's easy for the 99% who know it. I'll avoid my soapbox about how counterproductive it is to teach sight reading to drive kids away from music.
I missed it because I learned the mnemonic as "every good boy deserves fudge"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For those who still don't get it, skip to 4:05:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... rdy/n11411
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

I had not heard of James before my run (we taped this week's episodes on March 27th). I did however hear rumours in the green room about a then-unaired super champion though, I think maybe one of the alternates had also been an alternate during James' run.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 pm

yes
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Solo artists, no. Bands, I can name Sigur Ros and Of Monsters and Men.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MasterCone wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 pm
I missed it because I learned the mnemonic as "every good boy deserves fudge"
I learned Every good boy does fine" from my piano teacher (bass clef analog: face) several hundred years ago. Amazing what sticks in the brain.

My only difficulty on FJ was wondering if Da Vinci Code was too obvious (and I had no idea about the dates of the book or the movie, but thought they were earlier). I Mark-tipled with Angels and Demons but fortunately landed on the right side of the fence.

Many congrats to the outgoing champ on a sweet run, and to the new champ for a fine win.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This is the way I've always known it (and speaking of album covers):

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am This is the way I've always known it (and speaking of album covers):
Ditto
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 am
yes
Nope. They're from London, England. Try again.