Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am
bomtr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 pm
are there any other notable musicians from iceland that you can name?
yes
Nope. They're from London, England. Try again.
They're taking the roundabout way.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm
skrambler wrote: My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)
I was wondering if you might be one of the first contestants to play after James Holzhauer's games began airing on TV.

Glad they cleared all the Album Cover clues. I was 4/5, drawing a blank on Bjork (sp). The DD seemed a bit too easy. Ditto for the J6 clue.
Solo artists, no. Bands, I can name Sigur Ros and Of Monsters and Men.
Sugarcubes.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am I learned Every good boy does fine" from my piano teacher (bass clef analog: face) several hundred years ago. Amazing what sticks in the brain.
Was that the bass clef for people with only four fingers on their left hand?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am I learned Every good boy does fine" from my piano teacher (bass clef analog: face) several hundred years ago. Amazing what sticks in the brain.
Not everything sticks in the brain, I guess.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am
mahatma wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am
Not everything sticks in the brain, I guess.
Every Good Boy Does Fine (treble)
and
Good Boys Do Fine Always (bass)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (The Night Manager was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Potassium, William S. Burroughs, Life, Allegory
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Every Good Boy Does Fine (treble)
and
Good Boys Do Fine Always (bass)
Yes, those are the mnemonics for the lines on the respective staffs. The mnemonic for the spaces are face for the treble clef and all cows eat grass for the bass clef.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MasterCone wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 pm
Curious if ANYONE missed the "Every Good Boy" mnemonic? Not a poll request, just chime in if you didn't get it. It would seem like a very oblique clue for anyone who's avoided traditional music training. It certainly is a YEKIOYD, even if it's easy for the 99% who know it. I'll avoid my soapbox about how counterproductive it is to teach sight reading to drive kids away from music.
I missed it because I learned the mnemonic as "every good boy deserves fudge"
I had a really strange music teacher, probably around fourth grade. Her mnemonic was a long, contrived, and detailed story about a girl's father who hated the girl's barnyard pet because "Emily's Goose Bit Daddy's Foot." I think every other mnemonic ever created is better. Though I guess it worked if I still complain about the stupid story this many decades later.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember seeing "Father Christmas Gets Diarrhea After Eating Biscuits" as a mnemonic for the order of sharps in a key signature.

The "potassium" one didn't trigger for me since for some reason, "potassium" is one of those "two of one letter, one of the other letter" words that hasn't ever given me any trouble. If there were such a mnemonic for "recommend", on the other hand...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:10 am
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm
skrambler wrote: My plan going in was to do whatever it takes to get the lead, by being quick but cautious on the buzzer, hunting for daily doubles, and betting medium to big when I find them. I'd say it worked. :)
I was wondering if you might be one of the first contestants to play after James Holzhauer's games began airing on TV.

Glad they cleared all the Album Cover clues. I was 4/5, drawing a blank on Bjork (sp). The DD seemed a bit too easy. Ditto for the J6 clue.
Solo artists, no. Bands, I can name Sigur Ros and Of Monsters and Men.
Sugarcubes.
bjork was the singer
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:02 pm I remember seeing "Father Christmas Gets Diarrhea After Eating Biscuits" as a mnemonic for the order of sharps in a key signature.
I came up with "Ficus Cutting Gets Diminutive After-Effect: Bonsai" for that, and "Benchpressing Every Afternoon Develops Good Cardio Fitness" for the flats (it was originally breakdancing, but I would accidentally start with B flat and D flat with that, so I had to change it).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:02 pm The "potassium" one didn't trigger for me since for some reason, "potassium" is one of those "two of one letter, one of the other letter" words that hasn't ever given me any trouble. If there were such a mnemonic for "recommend", on the other hand...
For me the trouble comes in place names that I don't use regularly. Morocco. Massachusetts. Cincinnati. In typing those just now I got the first one right but got the red squiggly line under the other two and had to change them.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am
MasterCone wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 pm
Curious if ANYONE missed the "Every Good Boy" mnemonic? Not a poll request, just chime in if you didn't get it. It would seem like a very oblique clue for anyone who's avoided traditional music training. It certainly is a YEKIOYD, even if it's easy for the 99% who know it. I'll avoid my soapbox about how counterproductive it is to teach sight reading to drive kids away from music.
I missed it because I learned the mnemonic as "every good boy deserves fudge"
I learned Every good boy does fine" from my piano teacher (bass clef analog: face) several hundred years ago. Amazing what sticks in the brain.
FACE is the spaces on the treble clef. “Good Boys Do Fine Always” is a mnemonic for lines on the bass clef; “All Cows Eat Grass” is one for the bass clef spaces.

You’re welcome. 8-)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:02 pm The "potassium" one didn't trigger for me since for some reason, "potassium" is one of those "two of one letter, one of the other letter" words that hasn't ever given me any trouble. If there were such a mnemonic for "recommend", on the other hand...
For me the trouble comes in place names that I don't use regularly. Morocco. Massachusetts. Cincinnati. In typing those just now I got the first one right but got the red squiggly line other the other two and had to change them.
I didn't realize until my 20s that Cincinnati only has one t.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm
For me the trouble comes in place names that I don't use regularly. Morocco. Massachusetts. Cincinnati. In typing those just now I got the first one right but got the red squiggly line under the other two and had to change them.
Philippines was the one that used to get me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:02 pm I remember seeing "Father Christmas Gets Diarrhea After Eating Biscuits" as a mnemonic for the order of sharps in a key signature.

The "potassium" one didn't trigger for me since for some reason, "potassium" is one of those "two of one letter, one of the other letter" words that hasn't ever given me any trouble. If there were such a mnemonic for "recommend", on the other hand...
All this sight reading of notes has me nauseous :). It's terrible to teach music by this notation. This is why band students put their woodwinds and horns under the bed the day they finish their last school performance and they never come out all their adult life.

I had forgotten the miserable bass clef mnemonics until this thread. I like the sharps one although it is just easier to picture the black key groups and start with the group of 3 and go in order alternating with the group of two. Or, if you play guitar, just take the circle of fifths :).

I hadn't got the vibe of the category yet, but was surprised that potassium needs a mnemonic. If anything, "Mnemonic" needs a mnemonic more. (and why is abbreviation such a long word?) It needed more TOM, although I got it from the atomic number and then wondered what was the answer all about. It took two more clues to figure out it was about spelling.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote:
This is why band students put their woodwinds and horns under the bed the day they finish their last
Redundancy. A woodwind is a type of horn.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

skrambler wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:30 am I had not heard of James before my run (we taped this week's episodes on March 27th). I did however hear rumours in the green room about a then-unaired super champion though, I think maybe one of the alternates had also been an alternate during James' run.
Alex mentioned James at the start of Wednesday's show, not mentioning the length of his streak but implying he was highly impressive: "Well, our season of impressive young champions on Jeopardy! continues with young Ryan here. But as we discovered a few months ago with James, nothing is guaranteed, so Sam and Margaret will have a great deal to say about the outcome of this game."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
This is why band students put their woodwinds and horns under the bed the day they finish their last
Redundancy. A woodwind is a type of horn.
Not to distract from the talking point about all those wasted clarinets, trumpets, and saxes, but I don't find any redundancy and only a hint of ambiguity. Woodwind quintets include a French Horn just because it is aurally compatible. Beyond that, I haven't found any overlap in definitions. The sound comes from reeds in woodwinds or passing air in the case of the flute. In a horn, it comes from the business end of a metal tube, at least by conventional definition. I only looked this up in an effort to learn a useful factoid, so if there is something I'm missing, please enlighten me and hopefully others. I found the woodwind quintet nugget interesting, so I'm ahead and TIL something.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.