Friday, July 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
19th c. boots made with India rubber made one quieter, leading to this slang term for one whose job involves surveillance

Sam Kavanaugh: 17200+12401=29601 (3x = $75,601)
Justin Burden: 6800+6500=13300
Hearther Ringman: 14800-14700=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
gumshoe (Heather – sneaker)

Daily Doubles
Sam: 1400-1400
Sam: 7400+7400
Heather: 16400-2000

Coryats
Sam: 13200
Justin: 6800
Heather: 16800

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sam: 4600
Justin: 3200
Heather: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No ones know the sport for Killy? It was only 51 years ago. :)

If Sam was going to go 50% on DDs he picked the right order with -1400 and +7400.

Heather was in an interesting spot at DD3 on clue 25 tied with Sam at 16400 apiece with five $400 clues remaining. Her $2000 wager was a backward step and she would have needed a sweep of the clues left to get a tie. Turned out not to matter what she did as Sam knew the FJ! clue and she did not.

WORD ORIGINS again? This month. Booo!

Not going to happen for me in 30 seconds as like anagrams I'm plain not very good at it. The closest I got was seeing "boots" in the clue and trying to think of something with "foot" for a word. Right idea though I needed to get closer to a synonym for "boots" in the right kind of footwear.

Wanting to write something I had undercover with 0% chance of being right. I did not need Alex to tell me that Justin's response was correct. Justin at least got second place money to earn something for getting it right.

Nice work by Sam to close out the week on a streak. One more win and he can join the guy he beat, Ryan (I don't expect Ryan's alternate status for 2019 to transform into playing), in looking towards a 2021 ToC.

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEIDER did not include the response (not in J!6 either) that board members like to cite in the name of obscurity.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am WORD ORIGINS again? This month. Booo!

Not going to happen for me in 30 seconds as like anagrams I'm plain not very good at it. The closest I got was seeing "boots" in the clue and trying to think of something with "foot" for a word. Right idea though I needed to get closer to a synonym for "boots" in the right kind of footwear.

I'm disappointed in you, gumshoe.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Job involving surveillence...spy, cop..oh, private eye -> gumshoe...yeah, footwear, rubber, that works. Wasn't expecting a near-instaget Word Origins FJ, but I'll take it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am WORD ORIGINS again? This month. Booo!

I'm disappointed in you, gumshoe.
That's precisely where I learned the word.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My guess for learning the word the first time would be The Hardy Boys and some crook probably calling the dad, Fenton, that term. Whether that or Carmen Sandiego or some other TV show/movie was not enough to help in the time restraint that J! provides. Clearly my bad although I'll take under 80% in the poll.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was just in Pittsburgh last week. Totally not expecting a clue on Anthrocon.

Ran the Ear category. NHO baba or bibi, my only miss in Vowel Flop.

"Blah blah Australian + animal" = kangaroos, right? Wrong. NEGBAIT.

Rubber + footwear... uh... surveillance... gumshoe. Instaget somehow.

Lach Trash: Sulu/Solo, nene/nana, Pip, chanson
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It was clear to me by the middle of the Jeopardy round that the so-called liquor lawyer just didn't have it. Then came the surprising rise by Heather. But it was Sam who was consistent throughout the game and despite a lot of stand and stares was able to score when he needed to.

It would have been plenty embarrassing if the fellow from Minneapolis hadn't come up with mosquito.

How is it that no one remembered the med fly infestation? Don't they still have checkpoints for people driving into California?

PS the commander of the gumshoes searching for Carmen Sandiego was Lynne Thigpen
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Liquor lawyer, you say?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 pm "Blah blah Australian + animal" = kangaroos, right? Wrong. NEGBAIT.
You should actually read the clue even when you think you see a Pavlov. Dude was crossing the Australian desert and wishing he had something other than a horse. I don't think kangaroos have ever been beasts of burden (except to their children, as far as the females are concerned).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another sneaker here, with faux-confirmation using that Redford/Aykroyd picture.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 pm "Blah blah Australian + animal" = kangaroos, right? Wrong. NEGBAIT.
You should actually read the clue even when you think you see a Pavlov. Dude was crossing the Australian desert and wishing he had something other than a horse. I don't think kangaroos have ever been beasts of burden (except to their children, as far as the females are concerned).
Why do Pavlovs backfire on me so often?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Seems like I've heard that etymology for "gumshoe" a million times, so it was an instant for me.

What was the wording of the clue that TPH thought was kangaroo? I totally remember it as asking about the Gobi Desert, not Australia.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It was an interesting tussle. Sam and the liquor lawyer traded punches while Rachel was in a coma. Then she busts loose and has the lead after SJ. And then, pulls into a tie near the end and has the com. Two (or was it three?) stand and stares down the goofy "lieder" category and she KEEPS GOING TO IT??? This was one where the writers desperately want the contestants to reveal the $400 clue so regular people will have a clue what the category was about.

I had no problem with FJ, but was surprised at how good a guess that "sneaker" is. Now I must look up the word origin for that word.
Spoiler
The word "sneaker" is often attributed to American Henry Nelson McKinney who was an advertising agent for N. W. Ayer & Son. In 1917, he used the term because the rubber sole made the shoe stealthy. The word was already in use at least as early as 1887, as The Boston Journal made reference to "sneakers" as "the name boys give to tennis shoes." The name "sneakers" originally referred to how quiet the rubber soles were on the ground, in contrast to noisy standard hard leather sole dress shoes. Someone wearing sneakers could "sneak up" on someone while someone wearing standards could not.[5]

For the record, I never heard the term "sneakers" used in the Midwest. They were just called tennis shoes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Congrats to Sam on his 3-day winning streak! We truly are in an era of amazing and exciting players! If he wins again on Monday, he very well could be in the TOC along with Ryan.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Bauhaus was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Recovery), Mr. Rogers, Solo, Nana, Pip, Amy Tan, Mediterranean Fruit Fly, Skiing, Federal Insurance, Cytoplasm, Chanson, Kurt Weill, (Franz Schubert)
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I remember sneakers in New York, tennis shoes in Chicago. Unrelatedly, the 70's "burn", "what a burn" "I got burned" bit was big in Chi but not New York. And "Fonzie is dead" was a hot rumor in New York but not Chicago (or at least, not in the suburb where I lived).

Anyway, I agree "sneakers" was a good guess though the rubber reference does point to gumshoe. "Flatfoot" also would have been in the ballpark if not on the playing field. "Shamus" wouldn't have made much sense but I do approve of the word. Makes up some for "hooligan" or "paddywagon".
I'm smart and I want respect.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 pm
This was a nice clue to get, because I am half Australian, and my mum's side of the family still lives there. I've heard many times that there are more wild/feral camels in central Aus than anywhere else in the world. Another great Australian connection is that I quickly knew the final largely because the term for galoshes there is "gumboots."
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!