FJs for the 7/8/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/8/19 week?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm

In 2017 this city celebrated its 375th birthday & the 50th anniversary of an event that made it an international tourist destination
52%
In 1955 King Paul of Greece unveiled a statue of this hero near the cliffs where he died in the 5th century B.C.
26%
For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & "five members of Opus Dei"
94%
This character featured in a 1992 Time magazine cover story on "Hollywood & Politics" returned to television in 2018
77%
19th c. boots made with India rubber made one quieter, leading to this slang term for one whose job involves surveillance
86%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WHO'S IN CHARGE $1000: Ergatocracy
43%
STATE MOTTOES $1000: "L'etoile du nord" ("star of the north")
61%
A WAR BY ANY OTHER NAME $2000: The Great Narragansett War is another name for this king's war
49%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue guessing a city in the U.S.
19%
Achilles was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
The Tuesday FJ! clue could have included the movie 300 and/or "Thermopylae" and I still would have missed it.
39%
I have read and/or seen The Da Vinci Code.
44%
Roseanne was my incorrect guess for the Thursday episode.
13%
I have never watched an episode of either version of Murphy Brown.
40%

Total votes: 104

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/8/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

7/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NORTH AMERICAN CITIES

7/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 this city celebrated its 375th birthday & the 50th anniversary of an event that made it an international tourist destination

7/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT TIMES

7/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1955 King Paul of Greece unveiled a statue of this hero near the cliffs where he died in the 5th century B.C.

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BESTSELLING NOVELS

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & "five members of Opus Dei"

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN ON TV

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character featured in a 1992 Time magazine cover story on "Hollywood & Politics" returned to television in 2018

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
19th c. boots made with India rubber made one quieter, leading to this slang term for one whose job involves surveillance

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Montreal
Leonidas
The Da Vinci Code
Murphy Brown
gumshoe
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-0-3-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper followed by two the players had correct.

WHO'S IN CHARGE $1000: Ergatocracy

STATE MOTTOES $1000: "L'etoile du nord" ("star of the north")

A WAR BY ANY OTHER NAME $2000: The Great Narragansett War is another name for this king's war

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
workers
Minnesota
King Philip
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 7/8/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Salem
Achilles (possible I get it with the movie or battle hint)
Never read/seen the Brown work.
Never seen an episode of Murphy Brown.
undercover
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No response Monday; I was trying to think of US cities. If I'd realized the clue pointed outside the US, I'd have had a coinflip between Montreal and Toronto.

Neither seen nor read The Da Vinci Code.
My dad watched Murphy Brown when I was a kid, so I've seen bits and pieces and probably a full episode. Never sat down for one myself, though.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:( :mrgreen: :(

Woodstock on Monday
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Mon - (Blank) Kept on it til the last second, no go.
Fri - Sneakers

Needed another few seconds on Minnesota, I was going east from Alaska and just made it to Montana...

I have seen Da Vinci Code (and Angels & Demons) but not read either.
I know I have seen an episode or few of Murphy Brown, but couldn't recall anything from them if pressed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Absolutely no guess on the misses. Minnesota = North Star was a hair too quick for me.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All my possibilities Tuesday were connected to the Trojan War, which I knew couldn’t be right. Thermopylae wouldn’t have helped.

Have read and seen The DaVinci Code.

Watched the original Murphy Brown fairly regularly, have not seen the reboot
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen:

Having read "Angels and Demons," I never felt the need to read "The Da Vinci Code." They are, for all practical purposes, the same book.(Or so I understand.)
Teems with quiet fun.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen:
I didn't read Monday's clue closely enough...I am shockingly ignorant of Thermopylae (I can never even remember how to pronounce it!) and that part of Greek history...Never had much interest in The DaVinci Code (it should be The Leonardo Code, for one thing... :ugeek: ), but the clue was still easy...I was a fan of Murphy Brown, but the reboot was as dreadful as TV gets...Gumshoe came instantly...
Probably should have remembered the Minnesota motto...
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

345353435433554555445132*3*4354253423454355524
*out of 4
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

Murphy Brown was before my time, but I immediately thought of it thanks to a podcast episode about the feud with Dan Quayle.

The French aspect of the state motto completely threw me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

The Montreal Expo just isn't something I know about except in a very vague way. Doing the math to get to 1967 didn't help. I said Woodstock in desperation. I knew enough to rule out mythological figures on Tuesday and to think of Sparta and whatever war/battle that was, but I couldn't get any further. Finally caught a break on Wednesday with a clue that is currently polling higher than both the previous ones combined. On Thursday I immediately thought of Roseanne and that seemed obviously right. If I'd remembered the Murphy Brown reboot, I would have switched to her, but I forgot all about it. Gumshoe came to mind immediately on Friday and I couldn't think of anything better. Sneaker was a good wrong guess, but it wouldn't have tempted me away from gumshoe, even if I'd thought of it.

I think I could've figured out ergatocracy given a second more but Mrs Penguin shouted it out and all I could do was agree. Went with the sucker answer of Alaska for star of the north. I think I've heard of King Philip's war but there was no way I was coming up with that on my own.

Never read or seen The Da Vinci Code and don't plan to. I have read Foucault's Pendulum, which is the literate, non-trashy version, at least three times.

I have seen one, maybe two episodes of Murphy Brown all the way through. Not my thing.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( Leonidas was pure WAG.
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: French & north? Went with Vermont.
They brought back Murphy Brown? Oh goody, I can miss it again! :P
Last edited by DBear on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I've always thought of Expo '67 as a bust, as well as all the other copycat World's Fairs and etc.. A business acquaintance got stuck with several thousand Knoxville World Fair (1982) t-shirts. Great get by anyone who got this one right.

Went with Alexander the Great with no confidence. No confusion about fictional answers. Not sure if he's Macedonian or Greek, or both, or neither. Never heard of Leonidas. I always liked the line about the sky being darkened with arrows, and the retort "then we will fight in the shade" (heavily paraphrased).

Easy to get the DaVinci Code once I re-read the clue and didn't have to figure out Dan Brown's name. Saw both movies just in the last couple years.

Missed Murphy Brown because I DIDN'T re-read the clue and looked for a real person. Political actor/actress = Jane Fonda? Arnold? Hadn't heard of them going back to TV, but saw something about Meryl Streep, so why not Jane? I think I'd have gotten Murphy Brown, and then probably stupidly say Candice Bergman. I saw the original run, it was so-so for a while and like most sitcoms had to jump the shark with the pregnancy. The rotating secretary trope was cute, and we can all relate to Eldon and the never ending contractor construction.

No problema with "gumshoe". I like classic radio dialog with sawbones and dicks and dames and headshrinkers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Of course there were the Minnesota North Stars, but I was still uncertain till I remembered that Alaska is "north to the future".

I never watched Murphy Brown and was not particularly aware of a revival but I do remember the brouhaha over Dan Quayle's comment. Just when the furor over Bush's "Simpsons" remark had about passed. Is it any wonder the GOP lost that year?

It was definitely Expo '67 that gave me Montreal. Of all the World's Fairs and such, that one seems tied to its year more than any.

I can never think of King Philip's war without feeling sad for Larissa Kelly. In fact, I have to go cry again now.
I'm smart and I want respect.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Never read the crappy Dan Brown novel or the film adaptation of it.

Never seen an episode of either incarnation of Murphy Brown.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I knew Alexander the Great was too recent on Tuesday, but I couldn't do better, figuring that they wanted me to name someone non-mythological.

I don't think I said Minnesota for l'Etoile du Nord. I think I went Idaho, of all places (I certainly thought it at least), but I'm not sure.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Worst week personally in a LONG time. Monday, took a quick glance at the numbers and immediately and erroneously went a hundred years too early, thinking "Maybe Mexico City started selling Olympics tickets a year before the games???" Knew who they wanted Tuesday, but couldn't pull the name out of the memory bank in time.

The extra clues were disasters -- all three were stand'n'stares. Should have been able to parse "work" from "erg" but never went that direction, and at the Minnesota reveal my inner TPH was mumbling, "Minnesota's motto is in French??"

Terrible week.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.