Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by JayK33 »

The Millionaire wiki at https://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Cate ... _Jeopardy! might be used as a source to see who else has appeared on both shows. But not every contestant that has ever been on BAM has a page on there. Some of the players in that category don't have any games in the j-archive (like Mark Dixon and Tom O'Brien), so, if the "Appeared on J!" category on their pages is true, I don't know how they did on Jeopardy.
Last edited by JayK33 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 am To answer your question, it's just how the cookie crumbles. It's really hard to get on either show, so you should try for each one constantly, and when your big break comes, go for it. I can't see any advantage to having gone on one before the other.
Agreed.
I'd also suggest that getting on show #1 will help your chances to be chosen to get on show #2. (the "if Bob successfully made it through the ________ audition process, he's probably gonna be an entertaining contestant for us too..." effect)

I feel fortunate that Jeopardy wasn't my first show - being on Millionaire (back in '09) definitely helped with the confidence and comfort that are so important for the (IMO) MUCH higher pressure of Jeopardy.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

RobW wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 am I feel fortunate that Jeopardy wasn't my first show - being on Millionaire (back in '09) definitely helped with the confidence and comfort that are so important for the (IMO) MUCH higher pressure of Jeopardy.
You were on Weakest Link too, right? What was that like compared to the other two?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 am
RobW wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 am I feel fortunate that Jeopardy wasn't my first show - being on Millionaire (back in '09) definitely helped with the confidence and comfort that are so important for the (IMO) MUCH higher pressure of Jeopardy.
You were on Weakest Link too, right? What was that like compared to the other two?
OMG I auditioned for the Weakest Link in NYC! I taped Millionaire this August, got the call for Jeopardy! in September (arrrrrgh!), just found out my episode is going to air in Nov. so I need to ask TPTB about my status ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JayK33 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:08 pm The Millionaire wiki at https://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Cate ... _Jeopardy! (include the exclamation mark- the link here doesn't for some reason)
You can highlight the link and click the url icon (looks like a diagonal two-link chain). This will put url tags around the whole thing and it will show up as a link.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

I was on Millionaire in 2003 and then Jeopardy in 2016. Interestingly, I tried out for Millionaire once and got "The Call" a month later. It took me 6 in-person tryouts over 18 years to get on Jeopardy. I really don't know if being on Millionaire affected it or not.

Also, my first 5 Jeopardy tryouts were while living in a town of 4000. The last, successful tryout was while living in Rochester, NY. Perhaps the bigger market had something to do with it?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 am
JayK33 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:08 pm The Millionaire wiki at https://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Cate ... _Jeopardy! (include the exclamation mark- the link here doesn't for some reason)
You can highlight the link and click the url icon (looks like a diagonal two-link chain). This will put url tags around the whole thing and it will show up as a link.
fixed, thanks.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 am
Yes, TWL in 2002 was my first game show endeavor.
I honestly don't remember much about the backstage experience, it was fun but with more sitting around time than J! or Millionaire. I was quite sure I would come home emptyhanded, due to the winner-takes-all format AND the Survivor-esque nature of the game. (doing well in early rounds inevitably led to being voted off in later rounds...) Lo and behold I was wrong. :) If you find the video on youtube, the crucial (and atypical) moment is around the 3-minute mark IIRC.

[edit: removed redundant comment :) ]
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Papa Pio
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Papa Pio »

Jeff Crosby
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

kprather895 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm
kprather895 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
pastor_dave wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?
viewtopic.php?p=235284#p235284
Bingo! I remembered Dave, but somehow I forgot Jeff Richmond being the newest member of the club. My apologies to Jeff.

I remember that discussion, and I was looking for that very thread too, but I was searching the wrong board for it. Thanks for finding it!
Liz Murphy became the fifth and final member of the six figure club on both shows just a couple months ago.
Douglas Squasoni
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

There was someone who fell during Dave Madden's reign of terror who won 250K on WWTBAM? when MV hosted.

Forgot who she was.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 pm There was someone who fell during Dave Madden's reign of terror who won 250K on WWTBAM? when MV hosted.

Forgot who she was.
The Archive doesn't have anyone from Dave Madden's games mentioning them winning 250k on Millionaire, but I did find two who were previously on WWTBAM.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=889
www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=926
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:03 pm The Archive doesn't have anyone from Dave Madden's games mentioning them winning 250k on Millionaire [...]
That's because this player page needs to be updated.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I updated Steve's page to reflect his appearances on Millionaire.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm I updated Steve's page to reflect his appearances on Millionaire.
Speaking of 250k winners. Tony Hightower's 250k win on WWTBAM still isn't listed on his page.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm I updated Steve's page to reflect his appearances on Millionaire.
Speaking of 250k winners. Tony Hightower's 250k win on WWTBAM still isn't listed on his page.
It's been added now. It was only the most recent season when I actively tried to keep up with updating the J! bio pages for a Millionaire appearance.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 pm There was someone who fell during Dave Madden's reign of terror who won 250K on WWTBAM? when MV hosted.

Forgot who she was.

Jessica Schreader, who won $64K during the Regis era (2001)
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Upon updating my leaderboard spreadsheets with all college tournament results, I discovered that $250,000 WWTBAM winner (originally $0) Martin Poteralski was a semifinalist in the 1994 College Championship. That info wasn't in the archive, might be worth updating.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
LucarioSnooperVixey

Bumping this thread.

One of today's challengers, Alfred Guy, won $250,000 on WWTBAM back in 2011.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:20 am Bumping this thread.

One of today's challengers, Alfred Guy, won $250,000 on WWTBAM back in 2011.
But did he find love in 1987?