2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by RJRouge »

At least 33 employees have been confirmed dead after an arson at Kyoto Animation studio, making it the largest human-inflicted death toll of any event in post-war Japan.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Entertainment Weekly will now be a monthly magazine. :(

My subscription expiration has gone from April 2022 to March 2025.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 am Entertainment Weekly will now be a monthly magazine. :(

And yet, it will retain 'Weekly" in its name. (The first monthly issue was actually the previous one, but it came so soon on the heels of the final weekly issue that it seemed like another weekly one.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In a news cycle that is pretty much "Secondly" at this point, any mention of a publishing timespan in a periodical name seems somewhat anachronistic... as does paper publishing itself. I give them about another two years until they go the way of... wait, I'm thinking of a good category theme for the SHC that isn't going to happen.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 am Entertainment Weekly will now be a monthly magazine. :(

I'm surprised they're not just recategorizing the monthly magazines as special "quadruple issues".
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:36 am In a news cycle that is pretty much "Secondly" at this point, any mention of a publishing timespan in a periodical name seems somewhat anachronistic... as does paper publishing itself. I give them about another two years until they go the way of... wait, I'm thinking of a good category theme for the SHC that isn't going to happen.
I'm sure i'm not the only one who assumed Entertainment Weekly went out of business long ago, maybe around the same time as Movieline...
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The Ukraine just had an election, where a party based on the TV show Servant of the people, led by the actor who played the prime minister on the show, Volodymyr Zelensky, won a majority of the seats in their parliament. No word yet on whether or not a West Wing party is being created in the US.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm The Ukraine just had an election, where a party based on the TV show Servant of the people, led by the actor who played the prime minister president on the show, Volodymeyr Zelensky, won a majority of the seats in their parliament. No word yet on whether or not a West Wing party is being created in the US.
I think you buried the lede:

Zelensky - a comedian who portrayed the President of Ukraine in a popular sitcom...was elected President of Ukraine back in May.

While those more recent election results are certainly noteworthy (Zelensky's party is gaining parliamentary influence) IMO it is that May election result that will absolutely show up in a clue sooner or later.
Last edited by RobW on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Former London mayor Boris Johnson will become the new prime minister of the United Kingdom after winning the Conservative party leadership race. Johnson replaces Theresa May, who will step down on Wednesday.

In a 2012 interview with David Letterman, Johnson was asked if he might one day become prime minister. Johnson quipped, “I’ve about as much chance of being reincarnated as an olive.”
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm The Ukraine just had an election, where a party based on the TV show Servant of the people, led by the actor who played the prime minister on the show, Volodymyr Zelensky, won a majority of the seats in their parliament. No word yet on whether or not a West Wing party is being created in the US.
i don't know of a country called "the ukraine"...never understood why the article is used for ukraine, much like with sudan and philippines....the gambia and the bahamas are the only 2 countries with "the" in their official names
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 pm Former London mayor Boris Johnson will become the new prime minister of the United Kingdom after winning the Conservative party leadership race. Johnson replaces Theresa May, who will step down on Wednesday.

In a 2012 interview with David Letterman, Johnson was asked if he might one day become prime minister. Johnson quipped, “I’ve about as much chance of being reincarnated as an olive.”
don't forget "finding elvis on mars"
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 pm Former London mayor Boris Johnson will become the new prime minister of the United Kingdom after winning the Conservative party leadership race. Johnson replaces Theresa May, who will step down on Wednesday.

Wilson is no long the only surname shared by a UK PM and a US Pres. (Harold and Andrew/Lyndon.)

Andrew Bonar Law is no longer the only UK PM born outside the UK. (ABL was born in Canada, BJ was born in New York.)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has died at the age of 75. Hauer is probably best known for playing outlaw replicant Roy Batty in 1982's Blade Runner. He won a Golden Globe for his work in the 1987 TV movie Escape from Sobibor.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:01 pm Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has died at the age of 75. Hauer is probably best known for playing outlaw replicant Roy Batty in 1982's Blade Runner. He won a Golden Globe for his work in the 1987 TV movie Escape from Sobibor.
he was so much more than blade runner...not sure why every news outlet uses that film in the title...his best role was in "the hitcher"
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:07 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:01 pm Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has died at the age of 75. Hauer is probably best known for playing outlaw replicant Roy Batty in 1982's Blade Runner. He won a Golden Globe for his work in the 1987 TV movie Escape from Sobibor.
he was so much more than blade runner...not sure why every news outlet uses that film in the title...his best role was in "the hitcher"
I was never a big fan of Blade Runner, though it does have a strong following despite underperforming at the box office on its initial release. And Hauer's performance is certainly one of the most memorable elements of the movie.

Hauer was also excellent in the 1977 Paul Verhoeven film Soldier of Orange, and I've always had a soft spot for the admittedly goofy Ladyhawke (1985).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

For me it's Nighthawks, co-starring Sylvester Stallone, and soundtrack by Keith Emerson.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:36 pm For me it's Nighthawks, co-starring Sylvester Stallone, and soundtrack by Keith Emerson.
good movie as well...was the first movie of his i saw...saw it on cinemax or hbo when i was like 8 or 9
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

While the opening ceremony isn't until Friday and medals don't start getting handed out until Saturday, the Pan American Games started on Wednesday in LIma, Peru. The first game to happen was a women's team handball game where Puerto Rico defeated Canada 23-9. Games that the United States were involved in were losing in women's team handball to Argentina, beating El Salvador in men's beach volleyball, and beating Trinidad and Tobago in women's beach volleyball.

Also, in the World Aquatics Championships, Katie Ledecky withdrew from many of her races from an unspecified viral illness.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://news.avclub.com/old-town-road-b ... 1836800601

"Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus) has now topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 17 weeks straight, a new record passing "One Sweet Day," Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men and "Despacito," Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, each with 16 weeks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:23 pm https://news.avclub.com/old-town-road-b ... 1836800601

"Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus) has now topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 17 weeks straight, a new record passing "One Sweet Day," Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men and "Despacito," Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, each with 16 weeks.
Such a !#$@ing terrible song...but at least I'll be ready when the inevitable clue shows up. Over/under Oct. 1?