LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by rjaguar3 »

Christian Hymns (the 1DS I wrote) is now up. I hope you enjoy it.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

For people who have done the LLRC before, is there any choice in which proctor each contestant gets assigned? I feel that due to my flag, that people from Michigan or who went to Michigan might pull some unfair tricks on me, and than since Thorsten went to Notre Dame, he might assign me a Michigan fan on purpose.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 am For people who have done the LLRC before, is there any choice in which proctor each contestant gets assigned? I feel that due to my flag, that people from Michigan or who went to Michigan might pull some unfair tricks on me, and than since Thorsten went to Notre Dame, he might assign me a Michigan fan on purpose.
You will be given a list of times and the proctors for those times. (Last year there were hundreds of options.) You choose which one works best for you.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

LLRC signups have gone live, for those who care.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm LLRC signups have gone live, for those who care.
Learned League R? Championship

what does the R stand for?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm LLRC signups have gone live, for those who care.

rundle?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 am
boson wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 pm

rundle?
Yep.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 am For people who have done the LLRC before, is there any choice in which proctor each contestant gets assigned? I feel that due to my flag, that people from Michigan or who went to Michigan might pull some unfair tricks on me, and than since Thorsten went to Notre Dame, he might assign me a Michigan fan on purpose.
You will be given a list of times and the proctors for those times. (Last year there were hundreds of options.) You choose which one works best for you.
3 people picked me! I have 5 open sessions left

In other news, I submitted my answers for UPSETS last night as I was falling asleep. Didn't follow Pyeonchang so I made a guess at curling but my eyes were closing so I left it blank and hit submit. Doh! I won 7(4)-5(3), but that was a dumb move
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pmDidn't follow Pyeonchang so I made a guess at curling...
You didn't have to know anything about the Olympic results to name a winter sport in which someone is a "skip" (and in which the competitors get enough "face time" that people know their nicknames).
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

trainman wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:35 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pmDidn't follow Pyeonchang so I made a guess at curling...
You didn't have to know anything about the Olympic results to name a winter sport in which someone is a "skip" (and in which the competitors get enough "face time" that people know their nicknames).
I got it from "swept up."
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Lets see...late 1500's, naval fleet, invading England. Hmm...Spain is way too obvious so who else could've paired up with an Italian? How about Germany? Makes no sense but it can't be Spain...so I tied 6(4)- 6(5). In other news, I am getting crushed in the science ML, realizing I know far too little about the subject.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Is anybody else having extreme difficulty with defense in the Science ML? You obviously know what your opponent's general science track record is, but never their specialty.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

RJRouge wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 pm Is anybody else having extreme difficulty with defense in the Science ML? You obviously know what your opponent's general science track record is, but never their specialty.
I'm having extreme difficulty with both offense and defense in the science ML. Normally I hold my own in LL science questions although I'm not great at them (career .545 get rate, including .688 in LL81), but in the first 8 MD's of this ML, I've only had one day with more than 2 correct responses. There've been so many questions in this ML where I've never even heard of the correct response. Ephemeris, I'm looking at you!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Defense in MLs is tough as a general rule.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:12 pm Defense in MLs is tough as a general rule.
In any ML I'm in, my defense is always either 0,1,1,2,2,3 or 3,2,2,1,1,0. I don't bother wasting time on it.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Perhaps because I am generally science-knowledgeable, i’ve found success just assigning defensive points based on my subjective perception of difficulty. In the case of ephemeris, I knew that I didn’t know it, so confidently assigned it a 3. My only deviation is on math- or history-heavy questions when I’ll factor those categories into my defensive assognment. Today I face the group leader (I’m in second) so welll see how well this strategy works against someone with an .894 career science get rate.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Ah, nuts. Was so focused on prepping for today's job interview yesterday that LL completely slipped my mind and I suffered my first two forfeit losses. The only solace I can take is that with Science being the last day I wouldn't have pulled into championship contention, and with my Upsets opponent going 5 for 6 (where I'd have gotten 3) I didn't have a hope of winning that one, either.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Bizarrely, I seem to have not received credit for answering "sahel" with "sehel..." which seems well within range of a reasonable "Sounds Like" equivalent. Doesn't affect match outcome, so I'm not going to bother Thorsten about it, but slightly irked nonetheless.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Welp, despite finishing STTA with two six-packs, I still finished in 3rd in my group and missed the Championship.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Sigh... 3rd highest TCA in my group in Upsets, but in 9th place with no chance at the championship. I'm done in by my 0.500 defense.
Now swimming in the J! pool.