Thursday, July 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, July 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

After thinking about it a few minutes, Still Crazy After All These Years would have been my next reasonable guess.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 pm After thinking about it a few minutes, Still Crazy After All These Years would have been my next reasonable guess.
A Paul Simon album for "L.A.-situated rock"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Instaguess FJ. In doing my due diligence I considered Rumours but didn't like it as much as Hotel California. I did remember Rumours as a 1977 album, but it's easy to be off by a year on things like that. And I dimly recalled that Fleetwood Mac was L.A.-based by then. But it still seemed like kind of a dirty trick if Rumours was the correct response. Hotel California seemed much more like the kind of thing the writers would expect us to guess from this clue, even if we didn't know for sure.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 pm What was Alex trying to hint at with his "Wake up, wake up" (I think that's what it was) call out?
"Wake up, wake up and get this," yep. I think it was just because Eric suddenly started writing just as the music was ending. There was a dramatic shift from puzzled contemplation to frantic scribbling. You could practically see the light bulb going off over his head. I really thought he'd latched onto the correct response and I knew he didn't have enough time to write it. I was wondering if the light pen had stopped working at an opportune moment and we'd get to see whether they'd accept "Hotel Ca" or "Hotel Calif".
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 pm OTOH, Chuck Norris never would have made the wager that Eric did.
When Chuck Norris plays Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek tells HIM the answers. Wait...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This was the sort of endgame John Munson wagered for in my fifth game (ten years ago yesterday). Unfortunately for him the leader underwagered, and I bet $0 (and got FJ right, to boot).
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Given the category, I would have bet $0 on FJ. Without any hope at all of knowing the answer, I guessed "Hotel California" simply to avoid the ignominy of saying nothing.

Surprise!
Teems with quiet fun.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I lived through the 70s, and sometimes listened to AOR stations and my college roommate's album collection, but I'm far from an expert. Maybe that was an advantage here, cause I thought this was obvious...70s, "L.A.," "unflattering portrait"...??
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

As much as I like Jason, if I'm being truthful, he's one of the luckiest 5-day champions Jeopardy has had in recent years. This is at least his 3rd game now where he could've easily lost had one (or in this case, both) of his opponents made smarter wagers. He's been lucky to go against a bunch of players who are apparently uninformed on Jeopardy betting strategy!

That being said, congrats to him! Glad we've rounded out this season with another 5xer. Would be cool if he won tomorrow, because then he'll have had three months to watch James Holzhauer's play style. I'd say it'll be nice to see him try to imitate it!

Side note: I thought that "left on the board" category was quite fun. Interesting to see previously uncovered clues be discovered!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 pm As much as I like Jason, if I'm being truthful, he's one of the luckiest 5-day champions Jeopardy has had in recent years. This is at least his 3rd game now where he could've easily lost had one (or in this case, both) of his opponents made smarter wagers.
Nah. You have to be in the lead to benefit from bad wagering by trailing players, and he has entered FJ in the lead in every game (IIRC), which generally doesn't arise from luck. Now this is a lucky 5xer (though not from recent years).
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Initially dismissed Hotel California, as I've always associated it with 1977 (the title track wasn't released as a single until late February of that year), but no other album of that time that I could think of seemed to fit the clue.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:13 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 pm As much as I like Jason, if I'm being truthful, he's one of the luckiest 5-day champions Jeopardy has had in recent years. This is at least his 3rd game now where he could've easily lost had one (or in this case, both) of his opponents made smarter wagers.
Nah. You have to be in the lead to benefit from bad wagering by trailing players, and he has entered FJ in the lead in every game (IIRC), which generally doesn't arise from luck. Now this is a lucky 5xer (though not from recent years).
He certainly has the skill, there's no doubt about that, but the bottom line is he was very close to losing 3 times now. James would've won on day 2 of his streak if he got FJ right, John would've beaten him on day 3 if he had wagered more on that 2nd DJ DD, and today both Eric and Shari had a chance of taking him down if they had wagered more modestly in FJ. Yes he had the lead going into FJ on all 3 occasions, but none of those were lock games, and so the second place challenger overtaking him certainly was not out of the realm of possibility in any of them.

Jason's a great player, I'm not denying that (Heck I'm personally rooting for the guy), but the fact still remains that he's been very lucky to make it as far as he has with all the bad betting breaks he's been given by his opponents.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Easy FJ!

Somewhere I have a Hotel California LP. Back in my day we didn't call it vinyl, kiddies.
OCSam
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Once again we have to endure another baby-boomer clue (insert vomit emoji). I feel so bad for every subsequent generation. We boomers did not have to listen to Roaring 20's music in the grocery stores and elevators in our young adulthood.

No chance for me on FJ. I think the clue was a bunch of crap.

Glad you made it Jason, no matter how it got done. The better player won.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 pm Easy FJ!

Somewhere I have a Hotel California LP. Back in my day we didn't call it vinyl, kiddies.
did you play it with a woodpecker as the stylus a la Fred Flintstone? :lol:
(what's a stylus?)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Jason I believe is the first person based in New Mexico to be a five-time champion on Jeopardy! I'm so happy for him, especially because I'm from New Mexico myself; I was born in Albuquerque and grew up in Los Alamos.

There have been quite a few people from my home state who made it on to the show but, prior to Jason's run, didn't become big all-time winners. If I recall correctly, a woman from Santa Fe won 2 or 3 games during Season 24. More recently, Mary Fellman (who's from my hometown Los Alamos) appeared on the show the week after James Holzhauer lost. She finished in third place with $400 and took home $1000.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Awesome FJ category. Took me longer than I'd like to get there, but made it with plenty of time to spare. First instinct was Destroyer by Kiss, then moved to Rumours, before clueing into Hotel California and was confident from there.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:25 pm
John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm Well, I guess we had to see it one more time before season's end: a dumbass all-in wager from third place loses a game she could have won. And surely you know an all-in bet from the leader is never, ever gonna happen.
If you are in 2nd place in this game, what would you wager?

Then perhaps re-think your above statement. 2nd place is the one who threw the game away.
Eric's strategic situation (IMO) was more complicated than most. If Shari is no factor he could wager $0 and hope that Jason makes the $1 lockout bet and misses. Or he can be3t $2,401 in case Jason wagers $0 and he (Eric) gets it right.

If I were Eric in this scenario I wouldn't bet $0 because I don't want to risk a tie-breaker (we saw one last week and I thought it was heart-breaking to see a guy pin all his hopes on winning the buzzer battle, one shot to win or lose).

That said, in Eric's place I would advise $7,200. That wins the 2-way battle by a buck in the event he and Jason both miss, and it maximizes his winnings if he gets it right and Jason misses. I can't imagine a good reason for Eric to go all-in.

In Shari's place I predict that's what's going to happen with the leaders, so I bet $1,199. That way in the event of a TS it's Jason 4799, Eric 4800, and Shari wins with 4801.

But you are right. In this game there were two dumbass, throw-the-game-away wagers.

In all of the above Eric is the bigger gray-area situation, again IMO. But this was just a sad endgame.
earendel

Post by earendel »

It's funny - The Eagles came to me as the likely group, but I never got to "Hotel California".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Between the title track and "Life in the Fast Lane", HC seemed like a no-brainer to me. But then, the album was released during my formative years.