Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 pm I was at the Columbus audition today. I think I did well on the test even though I had a couple blanks. I interviewed to the best of my ability and played off the others and the interviewers well. Hope I got this one!
How did they run the interview? Did they ask about your 5 stories?

In 2017 they asked:
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. What do you do for fun
  3. Win a lot of $, what would you do?

That was mostly how it went, depending on responses. They would refer to the five stories if they needed to.

Maggie wasn’t there, was she at yours? I’m wondering if she does anything different.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 pm I was at the Columbus audition today. I think I did well on the test even though I had a couple blanks. I interviewed to the best of my ability and played off the others and the interviewers well. Hope I got this one!
How did they run the interview? Did they ask about your 5 stories?

In 2017 they asked:
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. What do you do for fun
  3. Win a lot of $, what would you do?

That was mostly how it went, depending on responses. They would refer to the five stories if they needed to.

Maggie wasn’t there, was she at yours? I’m wondering if she does anything different.
FWIW, since I've only been to 1 audition.

Maggie led it. I read through the Columbus audition descriptions, and it all could have been a description of WPB. The only difference was Columbus gave only 1 test.

Same questions, same caution that they call on who they want in the mock game, not necessarily who rang in first, same process.

I have to think they're careful to duplicate the experience as much as possible, to give everyone an equal chance to shine, no matter which coordinators conduct the audition.
Pending...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 am
July 2017 NYC - Maggie, Corinna, Lori (I think)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Also hoping triviawayne gets the call, since I feel he did a good job. I think we were the only two non-locals so that may give us an upper hand
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Now that I'm on a real keyboard...

Other than the same old same old everyone reports about these auditions, there was about 40% female in our group.

If this group was typical, and from all the audition experience from other shows, I don't see why it wouldn't be, I'm feeling good about my chances.

Some didn't dress the part, some didn't interview well, some didn't get the hang of the buzzers. Everyone did a good job of picking categories and dollar amounts, and moving the game along. When it came to what to do with the money, I think I was the only one with something out of the ordinary, and it was obvious they liked what I said. I also gave my occupation as Pub Trivia Host, so this would check the box of not being an occupation we see on the show all the time. Plus I'm not from New York, Boston, or Washington, DC. Then as TPH said, he thought I did well from what he could see.

While we all know they call on whoever they want instead of who buzzed in first, I will say they do that so they can see what they want to see from each person (as I said above regarding being able to play the game). I happened to be up there with two other people who played well, spoke up when speaking, and moved the game along, so Corina didn't need to pick and choose who would answer after we went through the first few clues. With my experience in playing other trivia games, having been to TCONA and playing against some of the best, and my race car driver reflexes, she actually seemed to get a little bored of always calling on me to answer as I kept winning the buzzer race.

So now I'm feeling good, and hoping I get the call sooner rather than later.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:48 pm
If this group was typical, and from all the audition experience from other shows, I don't see why it wouldn't be, I'm feeling good about my chances.

Some didn't dress the part, some didn't interview well, some didn't get the hang of the buzzers.
So did you wear the black dress or the blue dress?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:50 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Some didn't dress the part, some didn't interview well, some didn't get the hang of the buzzers.
So did you wear the black dress or the blue dress?
depends on your point of view
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:48 pm Some didn't dress the part, some didn't interview well, some didn't get the hang of the buzzers. Everyone did a good job of picking categories and dollar amounts, and moving the game along. When it came to what to do with the money, I think I was the only one with something out of the ordinary, and it was obvious they liked what I said. I also gave my occupation as Pub Trivia Host, so this would check the box of not being an occupation we see on the show all the time. Plus I'm not from New York, Boston, or Washington, DC. Then as TPH said, he thought I did well from what he could see.

While we all know they call on whoever they want instead of who buzzed in first, I will say they do that so they can see what they want to see from each person (as I said above regarding being able to play the game). I happened to be up there with two other people who played well, spoke up when speaking, and moved the game along, so Corina didn't need to pick and choose who would answer after we went through the first few clues. With my experience in playing other trivia games, having been to TCONA and playing against some of the best, and my race car driver reflexes, she actually seemed to get a little bored of always calling on me to answer as I kept winning the buzzer race.

So now I'm feeling good, and hoping I get the call sooner rather than later.
You certainly struck me as having potential. I would like to think that I also have advantages in having an uncommon occupation, speaking loudly without being asked to speak up, and not being from a major city.
HeySarahJ
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HeySarahJ »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:13 pm It has been my experience the coordinator will tell you if you're ringing in too soon but won't necessarily always pick the first one to ring. Sarah or anyone else who's auditioned in Columbus, did you have Glenn or Maggie?
Well, I kind of thought that might be the case re: mock games, but I'm a total rookie.

I think somebody mentioned it already, but we had Corina and Lori. Also, I assume this is out of the ordinary, but they actually had our group take two written tests. I don't know if they were trying out a new test or what. I felt like the second one we took was much easier, but they said we'd get the higher of the two scores.
clc114

Post by clc114 »

I auditioned in New York this past Saturday with Maggie and Ryan. It wasn't initially on the schedule, but I couldn't make it to DC in June so they gave me this as an alternative
JTmoney

Post by JTmoney »

Thought it would be fun to share my Jeopardy! audition experience from this past weekend - I'm still basking in how fun it was.

I was in the 10am group in NYC (I think there was another group at 2pm), there were 21 of us total, about 8 women and maybe a handful (max 5) people of color. Maggie and Ryan were our contestant coordinators and were awesome ... super fun, engaging and making everyone feel important and welcome.

We started with them giving us some info and taking our pictures in one room, then we moved to the other room and took a 50-question test. I found this to be easier than the online test, but who knows. While they graded the test we had about 10 minutes just to chat with and get to know each other, which was nice because everyone was sleepy and quiet in the morning when we got there.

We watched a little video from Alex and then started the mock game (everyone who did the test did the game). Got called up in groups of 3, buzzed in, Maggie picked who got to answer and then select the next clue. She was great at giving feedback about speaking louder, having more fun, etc. (my first category I just said the category name and forgot a dollar amount to pick ... oops!). After each 3-some was done with the mock game Maggie did a little interview with them and then that group sat down and the next one went up.

It was fun to watch others play and hear their interviews - a lot of neat and varied experiences (though there were a higher-than-general-population-percentage of scrum masters!). After everyone was done there was a little wrap up where everyone got headphones in a Jeopardy! pouch (to go along with the pen, tattoo and bookmark we had already gotten) and a couple (random?) people got keychains.

Of course I hope to get the call to be on the show but even if not it was SUCH a fun experience!
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

*sob* I didn't get an audition this time around! :cry:

Just as well since my mom isn't well and I have to look after her, but geez, I'm going to be 60 next year and I'm worried about buzzer reaction timing, especially since I already have an issue with arthritis in my thumbs....
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

rouquinne wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 pm *sob* I didn't get an audition this time around! :cry:

Just as well since my mom isn't well and I have to look after her, but geez, I'm going to be 60 next year and I'm worried about buzzer reaction timing, especially since I already have an issue with arthritis in my thumbs....
Don't lose heart -- I auditioned two months before my 63rd and wound up taping four months after my 64th. You've still got lots of possibilities.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AlpacaRoom

Post by AlpacaRoom »

HeySarahJ wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 am Also, I assume this is out of the ordinary, but they actually had our group take two written tests. I don't know if they were trying out a new test or what. I felt like the second one we took was much easier, but they said we'd get the higher of the two scores.
We had two written tests in Boston this year, too. They said they were trying out some new clues. I 100% bombed the second one they gave us; I left an embarrassing number of blanks and completely froze on a couple of clues I should have known.

... and I got The Call anyway. (!!!) This was my third in-person audition, so, like they say ... hang in there, everybody.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I keep worrying about whether or not I did well enough at my audition.

But I had those same worries before the audition that got me on Wheel. I would like to think that despite my worries I got this one.
bobweaselistaken

Post by bobweaselistaken »

Hi y'all! Have never posted before but wanted to say thank you for keeping me sane while I waited impatiently for some news about Houston. I just received an email for a Houston audition on Sept. 5! I've never gotten an audition before (though likely I've only gotten a passing score the last couple years), so I'm freaking out right now. Even just getting an audition is such a bucket list item for me. I got a 40 on this test.

Side note, can anyone give me a general idea of how long the audition will take? A couple hours? I'll probably need to tell my work when I can be back. Thanks!
bobweaselistaken

Post by bobweaselistaken »

bobweaselistaken wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:42 pm Side note, can anyone give me a general idea of how long the audition will take? A couple hours? I'll probably need to tell my work when I can be back. Thanks!
Of course, right after I posted this I reread the email in a bit calmer frame of mind and saw it says right in there it'll be 2 or so hours. My bad!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

bobweaselistaken wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:42 pm Hi y'all! Have never posted before but wanted to say thank you for keeping me sane while I waited impatiently for some news about Houston. I just received an email for a Houston audition on Sept. 5! I've never gotten an audition before (though likely I've only gotten a passing score the last couple years), so I'm freaking out right now. Even just getting an audition is such a bucket list item for me. I got a 40 on this test.

Side note, can anyone give me a general idea of how long the audition will take? A couple hours? I'll probably need to tell my work when I can be back. Thanks!
Mine started at 10am, was done at 1230pm.

Give 3 hours at the audition for timing to be safe. You'll take a test, play a mock game, and do a quick interview.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

One other thing I noticed: I was told that the CCs hate Forrest bouncing, but at least half of the people at the audition where Triviawayne and I were in attendance did it, and they didn't comment on it at all.

I think it's only a matter of time before both Wayne and I get The Call™.
NewsToTom
Contributor

Post by NewsToTom »

Got an email today for Houston audition for Sept. 4 (Weds) at 2 PM. IIRC, I got a 44 on the online test.