Sony and YouTube get sensible

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Sony and YouTube get sensible

Post by opusthepenguin »

Almost 8 years ago I made TD 142: A Touch of Classical. It included an audio clue asking players to identify one of 13 snippets of classical pieces. I uploaded a video of the snippets (the video consisting of a number for each snippet) to YouTube. Copyright bots took it down. I filled out a YouTube dispute form noting that the video fell squarely within the bounds of fair use. The video was not for profit. The clips were of insubstantial length relative to the works they excerpted. And my use of the material had zero chance of negatively affecting the market for the audio recordings. Youtube said they'd check with Universal and Warner, the copyright holders, and get back to me. Of course, they never did.

I've sometimes wondered about the game excerpts I've uploaded to YouTube. Would I one day find them taken down as well? (I'm not talking about the full games I've uploaded to secret bunkers. I fully acknowledge that those are a gray area at best and Sony would not be acting unreasonably if they took them down. But the excerpts, I believe, constitute fair use and help the brand. They enable us to engage with the show more fully via online discussion. Still, since when have copyright holders been reasonable about things like this?

Well, since now, apparently. I checked in on my uploads today in order to moderate a snarky comment from some mouth breather. I found this notice on all my Jeopardy! videos: "Copyrighted content was found in your video. The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it." Perfect! They're asserting their copyright claim now so that I don't get the wrong idea about who owns the video. They're retaining their right to be the ones who profit from the video. And they're not blocking access.

Under the heading Content is the notation, "JEOPARDY! Audiovisual content Manually detected". I found that interesting as well. This says they're not relying on a bot to make these decisions. I suspect a bot is flagging videos for them. But then a live human takes a quick look, exercises some reasonable judgment based on certain guidelines, and clicks the NIHIL OBSTAT button. Dare I hope we are entering a period of increasing sanity on this issue?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Sony and YouTube get sensible

Post by triviawayne »

I uploaded something that was very much a copyright violation, got an immediate notice that it violated policy and it was "removed"...the next day and ever since, it's been there.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:06 pm I uploaded something that was very much a copyright violation, got an immediate notice that it violated policy and it was "removed"...the next day and ever since, it's been there.
Are you sure that people other than you can see it?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:33 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:06 pm I uploaded something that was very much a copyright violation, got an immediate notice that it violated policy and it was "removed"...the next day and ever since, it's been there.
Are you sure that people other than you can see it?
they can. at least they could a few years ago. it's been a while since i've checked
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Hmm. I had a very different experience concerning Jeopardy content and YouTube.

Not only did they nuke the YouTube account that I had created just to upload things, they also nuked my personal account that I used to subscribe to channels and comment because it was "associated with" the other account.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger »

Are the videos removed for good, or are they censored partially (removal of the sound, which happens sometimes) or locally (eg. available from Eastern Europe but not from the UK/US)?
I wonder how Youtube expects to keep some revenue if they start nuking every channel that uploads even snippets of music, movies or games... I mean, isn't that 90% of the non-cat related videos on the site?